Need assistance in networking two computers

Wekiva

Feb 13, 2001
I know the Title is rather general but what I need is help in connecting two computers to each other with no limitations.

Gear we have:
I have a computer in my office that runs all the time and is where I store my photos and family videos. I have a HTPC in the living room that runs periodically when we want to surf the web or watch movies. I store our movies on the HTPC. Both computers are running Windows 7 64-bit and are hard wire connected through a Netgear gigabit switch, which then connects to the internet through a router. Each computer has a main account that I use and a guest account the kids use. The kids don't know the password to the main account.

What I want to do:
I want to be able to have full read/write capability from one computer to the other for the password protected accounts.

What I've tried:
I have tried the homegroup route but found that I could only access specific folders. I've also burrowed into the other computer using the Netword portion of windows explorer...but I can only view files and can't edit/add/delete them.

I realize this is a common request and am not asking for someone to go through all the steps here. But can someone point me to a good guide that would cover my type of request? I'm a complete newbie to networking but don't mind following a guide and digging a bit deeper to get the functionality I want. Homegroups seemed too limited. I've searched and found multiple ways to network...but many discuss homegroups. So I thought I'd ask here for a better recommendation. A good example of the poor guides I ran into is at http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/homenetworking/a/homenetguide.htm. Just figuring out how to read through those directions is difficult since it jumps around so much.

At one point in the past a friend who knows networking came over and was able to temporarily get the two computers to see each other and have full read/write capability...but once I restarted my HTPC the connection was lost. I know he went into the user settings and attempted to give both computers full access. Not sure why it quit working.

Thank you

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Congfigure Permission and Security.

All users that are allowed to share need to have account on all the computers that they are allowed to connect to.

Everyone is an account, it means a group of all of the users that already have an account and been established as users.

Using the Everyone feature saves the need of configuring permission to each of the established users, it does not mean Everyone that feel that they would like to login.

Users that do not have an account on the computer are Not part of the Everyone Group.
If security on the LAN is Not needed and users are Not established, then switching On the Guest account provides semi-open configuration.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-the-guest-account-on-or-off
---------------------
Point to the a Folder that meant to to be share. Right click and choose properties.
In the properties
Click on the Security tab shown in the pic bellow to the right) and check that the users and their permission (shown in the pic bellow center and left) are correctly configured. Then do the same to the Permission tab.
This screen shot is from Win 7, Vista's menus are similar.

http://www.ezlan.net/Win7/Permission-Security.jpg

In both the Security panel, and the Permission panel you have to highlight each User/Group and examine that the Permission Controls are checked correctly.
When everything is OK, Reboot the Network (Router, and computer).

* Note . The Groups and Users shown in the screen-shoot are just an example. Your list will look the way your system is configured.

:cool: