Need an Upgrade, got only 80bucks =/

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
the video card will come with an adapter that can connect two regular molex power plugs to feed the video card. It shouldn't be a problem on a 550watt PSU.

reynaldoabc

Dec 5, 2008
u_u, so i was searching around about how Mails In Rebate works(since i have never bought anything with this type of discount) and while i was reading newegg and manufacturer(of the 4670) policies, established in the .pdf, i saw rule 7, which say that the offer are just valid for north america only =/, too bad i am in Dominican Republic, so i got to pay the whole 75 bucks.Sucks to be me D:, anyway i am making the purchase on Monday, so ill be looking around for used 4670 or some other discounts that can apply to me :p.

@taltamir, well my PSu worries me a bit at the moment u.u, it doesnt even have anymore free cables lol(i mean cables that are not plugged on the mobo), well there is a free one but is a the type of big ones that you plug to hard drive(not sata) or DVD/CD readers.

Thanks guys,
Rey.

garritynet

Oct 3, 2008
Hey, another idea for you. Keep an eye on your local craigslist. A lot of times you can catch a really nice 21" CRT for $30 or less. They're heavy as all hell, but you can't beat the price vs. quality deal. Sounds like you're a budget-oriented guy, and that would be a giant bang for the buck upgrade.

I would like to second this. Yesterdays primo CRT monitors are super cheap these days. Some of them will take up half your desk and heat up your room but they do a nice picture and are great for gaming on an extreme budget.

reynaldoabc

Dec 5, 2008
@garritynet, well ill get one of those as son as i upgrade my videocard/ram. Thanks =)
========
Guys i'm having a couple problems with newegg at the moment and cant make any transaction with them =/. So i was looking in amazon(i can only make transactions with them "at the moment"), and i found 4670(from Sapphire) i was wondering if it will be the same quality even tho if they are different brands. How can i know how different are them? Will it be a bad one to buy :/? I really cant make any transactions with newegg atm and i want a 4670 and the only one(that i can afford) ive managed to find is that one made from Sapphire.

The one in new egg is made from GIGABYTE, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire...R#moreAboutThisProduct

The one in amazon is made from SAPPHIRE, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire...R#moreAboutThisProduct

EDIT: The sapphire card specs: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us...iew.php?gpid=253&grp=3

Also is it the same for all the 4670, like do i need to connect this one to the PSu(note that is a different branch)?(hope i dont need to plug on the PSu>.>). The question for real is: does it sucks the power right from the mobo?

Sorry for my english by the way :/.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Your 17" screen will probably not be able to do 1600x1200 at a decent refresh, so you're stuck with either 1280x1024, or 1024x768

Just wanna point out, because it always bugs me, that if you are on a 4:3 CRT (which he is) that you should do 1280x960 if the game supports it. 1280x1024 is 5:4, and is the native res of most non-wide LCDs. 1280x1024 would provide slightly less horizontal viewing in the game, not to mention it would be slightly stretched. It's nothing too drastic, but there's no reason not to go 1280x960 if you can. You'll want 85hz, and I don't think you'll get that at 1600x1200.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Crisium
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Your 17" screen will probably not be able to do 1600x1200 at a decent refresh, so you're stuck with either 1280x1024, or 1024x768

Just wanna point out, because it always bugs me, that if you are on a 4:3 CRT (which he is) that you should do 1280x960 if the game supports it. 1280x1024 is 5:4, and is the native res of most non-wide LCDs. 1280x1024 would provide slightly less horizontal viewing in the game, not to mention it would be slightly stretched. It's nothing too drastic, but there's no reason not to go 1280x960 if you can. You'll want 85hz, and I don't think you'll get that at 1600x1200.

Good point about 4:3, but IIRC most 17" CRTs didn't even go to 1280x960 without dropping the refresh to something unusable (<75Hz). Commonly used 4:3 17" CRT resolutions were 1024x768@85Hz or 1152x864@75Hz.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: reynaldoabc
Guys i'm having a couple problems with newegg at the moment and cant make any transaction with them =/. So i was looking in amazon(i can only make transactions with them "at the moment"), and i found 4670(from Sapphire) i was wondering if it will be the same quality even tho if they are different brands. How can i know how different are them? Will it be a bad one to buy :/? I really cant make any transactions with newegg atm and i want a 4670 and the only one(that i can afford) ive managed to find is that one made from Sapphire.

The one in new egg is made from GIGABYTE, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire...R#moreAboutThisProduct

The one in amazon is made from SAPPHIRE, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire...R#moreAboutThisProduct

EDIT: The sapphire card specs: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us...iew.php?gpid=253&grp=3

Also is it the same for all the 4670, like do i need to connect this one to the PSu(note that is a different branch)?(hope i dont need to plug on the PSu>.>). The question for real is: does it sucks the power right from the mobo?

Sorry for my english by the way :/.

Sapphire is good. They are a long time ATi partner.

You will not need an external connector from your PSU to the 4670. It draws power from the PCI-e slot in the mobo.

You English is just fine! :)

reynaldoabc

Dec 5, 2008
@Crisium and Betasum, thanks guys for the point but i already found a place that sell CRT monitors 21" for 40-50 dollars, i might just buy a new one in january or so, so im not really worried about my monitor :p. THANKS THOUGH!

@Flipped Gazelle, thanks men, i was worried that the quality wouldnt be the same.
===========

Guys everything's perfect, but a WEIRD but interesting question(for me >.>) came in my mind... Can motherboard that only support ddr2 be able to handle a videocard that its memory is gddr3?
The latest memory that my mobo support is ddr2 800mhz. Would it handle the videocard memory which is gddr3? Someone already told me that it would NOT(a friend of mine :/) but i searched on the internet and i found a couple forums/threads that said that it would be supported(i only found ddr3, not gddr3 tho).

Kind of worried now, if everything is perfect tomorrow ill buy and than ill come back when i get it to say how i am doing with it =).

MadFox

Mar 17, 2008
That will be fine, it doesn't matter what memory your videocard uses as your motherboard does not need to directly interact with it. Your friend is misinformed :)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Reynaldo, go for that 21" CRT! Aside from buying a 20"+ Wide LCD with great specs, you're not going to match the quality. Great bang-for-buck, if a little cumbersome.