Need an opinion: Buy a P67 motherboard now?

k0mpressor

Sep 19, 2003
My laptop died and I need to build a new gaming rig.

I have never been an AMD fan and want to build an intel rig as I always have in the past.

But with the whole sandy bridge failure that puts my build on hold, as well as not having a computer.

Is it stupid to buy a P67 motherboard(knowing sataII ports are bad) from Amazon, an i5-2500k, and other components to build something to tie me over until March/April when I can send the P67 motherboard in for an exchange? Obviously knowing I should only use the (2) sataIII ports on the motherboard.

Someone help me justify doing this lol. I don't want to wait

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Look at it this way...if you buy a P67 board now...before they're all gone, AND, if you can get it to work, (lots of little bugs and glitches in some models) then when they get things sorted out and have replacement boards available, you'll be able to get one of those, presumably at no charge.

FWIW, the SATA ports aren't really bad...as in non-functional, it's in the controller for the 3 Gb SATA ports...and it MIGHT cause problems...or it might not.

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
No reason to not go ahead with the build if you need a rig ASAP. You're going to have to tear it down to return it though.

If you go with the ASUS P8P67 Pro it has 4 6 gb sata ports, two on board, two on the marvel controller (Non RAID). I think that would pretty much eliminate any issue or worry regarding chipset degradation as you won't be using the 3 gb ports/contorller.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Just build with a cheap add-on card.

I don't feel like tearing apart so I picked up a 2 port Sataii pcie 1x card.