Need an MMO fix.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
It seems like there's a new SWG thread every other month or so - so here's the next one. I didn't particularly like LOTRO and HG:L needs to cook for about another six months before it can even begin to think about being good.

So?

Oct 25, 2006
Eve-online.

The learning curve absolutely decimates stupid people, so at about Battlecruiser level, there are very few idiots.

Kalessian

Aug 18, 2004
Another vote for EVE. But it does take quite a commitment in the beginning, so it may not be for everyone. A new graphics engine just went online on one of the beta servers, too, so expect a big update soon.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SWG-NGE is still the same old SWG-NGE [combat] - that's the biggest glaring issue which prevents me from going back.

For me, the new SWG is Tabula Rasa.

EvE is pretty cool too IF you want an MMO that requires a lot of patience, commitment, and love flying and fighting in space.

I think SWG and EvE still both have trial periods...

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
I'd say EVE. I gave the free trial a whirl back in the summer, and now I'm trying it again (their 2-week trial offer is available all the time). Odds are good that I'll pay the $20 and dive in.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I'd recommend EVE as well but lets be honest here in that EVE is not your typical MMO like EQ1 or WoW. Anyone trying EVE needs to be in the right mindset in which they are looking for a very deep MMO which is going to require research and time to understand. EVE is going to take research and time to understand and if you are not the patient type odds are you going to hate it. This is typically why most EVE players are in their 30's+.

So unless you like waiting 4-6 months to have a viable PvP character as skills train over time you'll get bored fast. Even if you like mining or mission running you are going to be bored silly. The most you'll end up doing PvP wise is being a tackler and that is okay but it's nothing like having all your core pvp skills already trained up and unleashing some pain. The fun thing about aforementioned "pain" part is that you don't need a ub3r large ship to do so but you still need time to train the proper combat skills to be able to use any ship you want to pilot. EVE demands patience and most people just do not have the patience for the depth of EVE, the challenges it offers and waiting around for skills to train themselves.

johnbr

Nov 26, 2007
I too, like Jschmuck am looking for an MMO to play.

I really want to give Eve another go but I'm ashamed to say I find it too hard. I've played plenty of other MMO's and never struggled with them but I can complete the tutorial and its all downhill from trying to quests then on.
Would anyone here who plays happen to know of a step by step tutorial to get me into it? The tutorial on the Eve site is informative but I don't think it or the game itself is particularly noob friendly.

Cheers

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: johnbr
I too, like Jschmuck am looking for an MMO to play.

I really want to give Eve another go but I'm ashamed to say I find it too hard. I've played plenty of other MMO's and never struggled with them but I can complete the tutorial and its all downhill from trying to quests then on.
Would anyone here who plays happen to know of a step by step tutorial to get me into it? The tutorial on the Eve site is informative but I don't think it or the game itself is particularly noob friendly.

Cheers

You're lucky. New players get an abridged start up tutorial.. Other players and I had to go through a freaking 2 hour long tutorial because your first time in Eve is more of a wtf moment.

Of course, the first month is boring as all hell. You don't have any skill points, and you are stuck mining tritanium or attempting to do t1 missions in your noob frigate.Try joining a good corp when you play, they help you out alot.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I play Guild Wars and love it. It is completely different from a normal MMO though.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
EVE Online looks good. I've never played it, nor have I heard much about it. i guess there is a community out there though, the game is pretty old though. They do have a new expansion due out soon for it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: msi1337
I play Guild Wars and love it. It is completely different from a normal MMO though.

That is because it is not an MMO, the developers of it call it a Competitive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game;)

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: msi1337

That is because it is not an MMO, the developers of it call it a Competitive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game;)

I still love it Schaden!

:D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I reactivated my EVE sub yesterday and have been hanging out in a .5 system ratting. I am going to finish up some of the frigate and base pvp skills. Then tackle mining and industrial stuff in a couple of months. The game is slow compared to your avg MMO. You dont lvl, you train skills and each skills has 5 lvls. The 5th level can take over a week to train.

Ill take my time and enjoy the view.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I don't want to play EVE simply because it's more like a job than a game. I'm sure it's awesome and everything I've read makes it seem really interesting but that kind of commitment is...eh.

Do these stupid web based RPGs count? Those are a nice distraction at work at least.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I think it's worth checking out A Tale in the Desert. It's about learning to build things, no combat. It's not for most, but it's great for its niche audience.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
The first thing you have to ask yourself is whether PvE or PvP is more important to you. No MMO has ever mastered having both at once in my opinion despite the many arguments out there.

If you want PvE then I recommend WoW. You can have a lot of fun with WoW if you are looking for a casual experience. Many MMOs fall short in that area, but I feel WoW does a pretty good job.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
EQ2 has had a major overhall. It may now be the best MMO out there. I've had it for five days and got a level 21 necro already. Rise of Kunark gives you everything and you get to start in Timorous Deep and roll a Sarnak if you like. No more huge cities to lumber around in, it is very solo-able. Very quest driven.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
The first thing you have to ask yourself is whether PvE or PvP is more important to you. No MMO has ever mastered having both at once in my opinion despite the many arguments out there.

If you want PvE then I recommend WoW. You can have a lot of fun with WoW if you are looking for a casual experience. Many MMOs fall short in that area, but I feel WoW does a pretty good job.

DAOC was great in both areas.

D

Deleted member 4644

The one thing about SWG that is really awesome is the space combat with the space fighters. That was a ton of fun..

I never *loved* the ground based combat in SWG.

EVE.. I have played... it is a bit more like a job than a game.... but it can be fun if you don't mind a really slow pace.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SWG was a damn fine MMO right up until they decided to allow player jedi into the game [nothing against player jedi - I was one - but it did ruin the game]. Too bad they had to go fix what wasn't broken... :(

The most fun I had in SWG was when Dant, Dath, Yavin, and Lok were insta-death even in a huge group. When you had to walk across Dantooine just to get to the force caves. When you saw an MCH walking around with a Rancor. When the cantina's were filled with people who were actually entertaining [rather than AFK-scripting]. And when Faction "pets" and armor were actually useful... :)

eh - they'll probably "re-introduce" most of everything they screwed up since the NGE... [or release SWG2 and not screw that one up]

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
If you're considering Eve, PM me here and I'll give you my in-game contact details. The corporation I'm in is new player friendly and has access to Empire, low sec and 0.0 space. About the only requirements to join the corp is that you are not a trial account anymore.

There is a major graphics overhaul coming in a week (with a bunch of new features as well). There's even a big aticle on Eve in the NYT today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11....html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Eve has a 14 day trial and there is plenty you can do as a new character if you have the correct starting mindset.

Before you make your first character look here:

http://wiki.goonfleet.com/inde...ended_Base_Stat_Builds

Michael