Need an extra 8 pin conector

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
So i have a PSU 600w MS industrial, it has only one 8pin connector(4+4) and one 6 pin, but my MSI gtx 1060 6gb needs an 8pin connector, so what would my best option be? To get a 6pin to 8pin connector or some other way? All help is much appreciated,thank you in advance

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The 4+4 motherboard connector is not the same as an 8 pin PCIE connector, just FYI.

The 6 pin PCIE connector might work via an adapter, but the 6 pin PCIE connector is for 75 watts, whereas the 8 pin PCIE connector is for 150 watts, so you are taking a chance using an adapter.

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
so what would be my best option then? maybe 12v molex to 8pin? so the CPU 8pin i need to change that as well?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The CPU 8 pin that splits into two 4 pins is correct, no problem there. Motherboards either take one of the 4 pins or both of them.

I haven't heard anything good about the Molex adapters.

You probably need a better PSU.

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
damn and i just bought this one, any reccomendations? i have a Ryzen 5 2600, MSI gtx 1060 6gb, 8gb 3200mhz ram, b450 motherboard,and one ssd

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
it looks like the 1060 card only requires 120 watts.

So I think you can actually get away with a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, just don't plan on any overclocking.

You can get 75 watts from the PCIE slot and 75 watts from your 6 pin connector, so you should be okay without overclocking.

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
so just get one 6pin to 8pin adapter and stick into the GPU, you got me confused with PCIE slot :) sorry if i am a bore, just trying not to make a fire in my room

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
it looks like the 1060 card only requires 120 watts.

So I think you can actually get away with a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, just don't plan on any overclocking.

You can get 75 watts from the PCIE slot and 75 watts from your 6 pin connector, so you should be okay without overclocking.
The thing is, Nvidia cards tend to pull most of their wattage from the external leads and not the PCIe slot. So it's still risky. For safety sake, OP would be much better off getting a different PSU that actually has the connectors he needs.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
A modern 600W PSU with only (1) 6 pin PCIe is likely of questionable quality. Get a new good PSU. Don't risk that build.

Even 450W good PSUs (EVGA) can have (2) 8 pin PCIe connectors.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
For a low power card like that, you're probably fine using a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter. Both connectors have the same number of current carrying conductors in 99% of cases, the two extra pins on the 8 are used for indicating that the power supply is capable of 150W on that rails.

Don't use a molex to 8 pin adapter. Not only are they physically worse than the 6 pin to 8 pin adapters, but if your PSU is multirail you would then be pulling nothing off the rail that feeds the 6 pin GPU connector and pulling all the power off the rail that feeds your motherboard and the PCIe slot.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
A modern 600W PSU with only (1) 6 pin PCIe is likely of questionable quality. Get a new good PSU. Don't risk that build.

Even 450W good PSUs (EVGA) can have (2) 8 pin PCIe connectors.
For consumer supplies I'd agree with you, but industrial and OEM models aren't always built that way. They often just have a single GPU connector because the PCs they're installed in only ever have a single low to medium power GPU. The Dell 525W supply in my Precision has a single 6 pin on its own 18A rail, and it's more than capable of maintaining that or more 24/7.

Reactions: hoorah

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
For consumer supplies I'd agree with you, but industrial and OEM models aren't always built that way. They often just have a single GPU connector because the PCs they're installed in only ever have a single low to medium power GPU. The Dell 525W supply in my Precision has a single 6 pin on its own 18A rail, and it's more than capable of maintaining that or more 24/7.

This isn't an OEM supply. MS is the company that makes it. Also, your above comment on 6 and 8 pin having the same number of current carrying pins is not technically true. On a 6pin, the center yellow wire is specified as not being used. Many PSU makers do connect it, but it is by no means a guaranteed thing. The additional grounds on an 8 pin also smooth out power delivery for higher current, which the 6pin does not have. And technically, ground wires DO carry current, just in the opposite direction. You can melt a ground wire just as easily as a hot.

Anyway, back to the MS PSU, the specs state it has a single 49.6A 12V rail, which is good. But its very strange that a 600W PSU only has a single 6pin PCIe power adapter. I personally would not use a 6 to 8 pin adapter for a GPU, you are just looking to have an issue.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
so just get one 6pin to 8pin adapter and stick into the GPU, you got me confused with PCIE slot :) sorry if i am a bore, just trying not to make a fire in my room
Given the power figures, I would try the adapter.

The PCIE slot is capable of supplying 75 watts to the card.
A card that needs less than 75 watts, can be powered from the PCIE slot alone.

If the card needs near, or over 75 watts of power, it will need a PCIE cable from the power supply.
You can't get that much power through the tiny traces on the motherboard, so an additional cable is necessary.

If it needs a lot of power above 75 watts, it will need two PCIE cables.

Some power hungry cards use three cables.

The cables can be 6 pin 75 watt, or 8 pin 150 watt, or combinations of the two.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Here's what I would do to be sure using the adapter is okay.

I'd run the video card hard for 10-15 minutes,

I'd power down the computer and then I'd feel the PCIE cable and adapter to see how warm it is.

If it's above luke warm, I'd stop using the adapter and get a new PSU.

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
ok so, i bought 2 molex to 8 pin and one 6 pin to 8 pin adapted, going to try both of them with the method @LTC8K6 described, and will tell you the results, the thing that gives me hope is that i found a guy on youtube(Brutally honest games or something) he has GTX1080 which is more power hungry card and he had the same problem and used a 6pin to 8pin adapted, one year later he is still using it.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This isn't an OEM supply. MS is the company that makes it. Also, your above comment on 6 and 8 pin having the same number of current carrying pins is not technically true. On a 6pin, the center yellow wire is specified as not being used. Many PSU makers do connect it, but it is by no means a guaranteed thing. The additional grounds on an 8 pin also smooth out power delivery for higher current, which the 6pin does not have. And technically, ground wires DO carry current, just in the opposite direction. You can melt a ground wire just as easily as a hot.

Anyway, back to the MS PSU, the specs state it has a single 49.6A 12V rail, which is good. But its very strange that a 600W PSU only has a single 6pin PCIe power adapter. I personally would not use a 6 to 8 pin adapter for a GPU, you are just looking to have an issue.

Hence why I said 99% of the time. Having 3 hot wires on a 6 pin connector isn't required by spec, but in almost all cases (including cheap old group regulated designs like these) it is connected. The extra ground is also not a sure thing. One of the extra wires is usually just connected to the ground plane and so does work as another ground wire. The second one is the sense line, so no appreciable current is carried by that one.

Personally, I don't use 6 pin to 8 pin adapters as they're a waste of money and are just another connector in the power chain. Just jumpering the sense line is the superior solution in my experience. I've never had an issue with melting 6 pin connector to a GPU though even running them to overclocked 290s. OTOH, I have melted several 6+2 modular cables where they were inserted to the PSU, even on good PSUs like the Seasonic Platinums.

Munhe

Mar 12, 2019
Buying a Cooler Master 750w bronze 80+ masterwatt. Is that a good one, i am getting a new one for like 70euros, is that a good PSU.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Buying a Cooler Master 750w bronze 80+ masterwatt. Is that a good one, i am getting a new one for like 70euros, is that a good PSU.

The 650W would be plenty for you, and it has the same number of PCIe cables. But for that price, thats not a bad supply. For just a bit more you can get a Seasonic Gold 750W, which is a better supply. But the CoolerMaster should fit your needs well.