Need Advise: Direct2Drive ripping off customers. (Filed Complaint).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jbourne77
I haven't read any of the other responses, but I can't imagine they differ much from mine, which is: what the hell is your problem? They made a mistake, they're trying to fix it, and they're giving you money. What else did you want? In all your petulant whining, you never actually say what your expectations were. Not that it matter, of course, because what they've offered is beyond reasonable.

THAT SAID, Steam > D2D

speaking of that, yeah, if a game is on both d2d and steam, i am going to pick steam, even though i have no problems with D2D, just because of the extra benefits that steam offers.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: chizowTo me the obvious solution would've been issuing keys that actually work online, the fact they didn't and instead offered refund + store credit indicates they do not have keys that work online and just have a single generic key.
I think you're leaping to quite the conclusion there. Plenty of people, myself included, have had no problems with keys from D2D. All of the keys in question were probably purchased at the same time on a single account, so don't you think it's perhaps more reasonable to consider that this was a bug involving multiple key assignments to a single account?

Reading this thread leaves me with a positive opinion of D2D and the opinion that I'd just as soon avoid having the OP as a customer.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
They made a mistake, you got your money back, a promise to fix the issue, and $30. You continue to bitch.

Um OK buddy.

lol lol lol

QFT

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: JoshGuru7
I think you're leaping to quite the conclusion there. Plenty of people, myself included, have had no problems with keys from D2D. All of the keys in question were probably purchased at the same time on a single account, so don't you think it's perhaps more reasonable to consider that this was a bug involving multiple key assignments to a single account?

Reading this thread leaves me with a positive opinion of D2D and the opinion that I'd just as soon avoid having the OP as a customer.
Based on the OP's anecdote, I don't see it being a leap by any means. Here's what we know:

• 1) OP purchased 2 copies of the game. There was no problem downloading the game and there was no problem installing and updating the game, all of which require valid cd keys.
  • 2) Problems only arose once he tried to play online. First key did not work. Second key did not work either. 3rd and 4th keys didn't work either even though they should given Forged Alliance is a stand-alone expansion. That's 0 for 4 on functioning CD keys for online play.
  • 3) When confronted with the issue and escalated numerous times, the resolution was to refund the OP and offer store credit instead of simply correcting the problem by issuing working CD keys.
Now, given this company only deals in 0s and 1s on a server along with 5x5 cd tokens they control, you'd think they'd be able to get this right. I don't know how much experience you have in business, sales or even customer service, but most successful companies will do just about anything to keep a sale rather than let it walk out the front door with a refund.

There's clearly a problem here, either D2D doesn't have working online keys or the keys THQ is bundling with the Gold versions don't work online. Either way, lack of online play should be clearly indicated if the games do not support online play. Come to think of it, I recall hearing about similar problems with Titans Quest Gold.....