Question Need Advice (Won the right to purchase a GPU and Motherboard)

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Hello my favorite people! I scrapped my last idea of a build since I just got lucky and got my hands on these two.

Since I have not been in the game for some time... What's your thoughts my missing items. Nothing Crazy $$ these 2 items are going to cost a lot to begin with. ha

main use (Gaming)..I will have not need to overclock but if this groups thinks I should try well then lets try..I know that is required to know for the CPU (k vs no k)
I do not care much about RGB..colors and stuff...That does not matter to me...

Bought these 2

1) GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N307TAORUS M-8GD
2) GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS MASTER LGA 1200 Intel Z590 ATX Motherboard with Triple M.2, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C, Intel WIFI 6E, AQUANTIA 10GbE LAN

Needs:

CPU (I assume 10th or 11th gen works)..maybe a i7-10700K<cheaper than non K
CPU Cooler: Noctua or go water cooler?
RAM (I do have these are the good enough for this MOBO or should I grab something better? (G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-32GIS)
PSU I assume 850W? GOLD rated fully modular PSU?
NVMe M.2 I have a V-NAND SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB - I gather I will install this for the OS should I get 2 of these maybe an additional 2TB one?
OS >
I assume Windows 10 64Bit?
Storage I am going to go with out a spinner this time and just buy a big SSD for all games etc...any thoughts...I am thinking 2TB or 3 TB if I can get one cheap..or maybe 2 2Tbs if I can get a deal. Thoughts? Or 1 500GB/ 1 2TB NVME plus 1 2 TB SSD
Monitor I gather I should look into a 27-29inch 4K monitor since I now have the good GPU so I can game in 4k?
CASE Was going to reuse my current case - Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case

Any input is welcome...As I mentioned just getting back into the game on this. Rather not make a silly purchase without asking the experts.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
10700K with a Noctua D15 series is a great pick.

Ram is fine.

A quality 850W would give you nice headroom, given the CPU and GPU combo.

10 pro is an affirmative. Always upgrade to 11 for free later if desired.

All SSD is the way to go. The only scenario where I recommend HDD for gamers, is if they have a slow or janky connection. That way, they can keep everything DL'd and ready to go on a big drive that was not overly expensive. 500GB OS is the size I went with. And you can go 2TB nvme on the other slot without spending stupid money.

If you play mostly single player or easy to run FTP style MP, 4K is great. Otherwise I would personally lean toward 1440p high refresh. Cases and monitors are super personal though, making there no "right answer".

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Thank you!

It will either be a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($49.99) or a Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95)

For the PSU any thoughts on this one?
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99

Storage - I do agree..If I do maybe i will keep my 5TB WD Black..it is over 5 years old but does not (knock on wood) have any issues at this time.
But yes Keeping that 500 GB nvme for OS and might either go Samsung QVO 4TB SSD or just another 2TB nvme

Monitor: I do play mostly single player games..not all FPS..motion sickness in 1st person even with no head bob and lights on lol... more AWESOME 3rd person or other GPU intense games. VERY VALID point on the 1440P high refresh etc..my current is maxed at 1080p 144hz (AOC G2770PF) so maybe I can find a something better and for not that much $....SO I am thinking this one? Do you know anything about it..Seems to be perfect for me...and its only $299.99...unless it is not comp with my GPU which is GSync right?

Monoprice Gaming Monitor - 27 Inch, FHD, 240Hz, 1920x1080p, 1ms, DisplayHDR 400, AMD FreeSync Premium, Fast IPS-Type AHVA, 100x100 VESA Compatibility - Dark Matter

OH and I will have to enable XMP in my bios to take full advantage of the RAM speed right? I am new to this...

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thank you!

It will either be a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($49.99) or a Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95)

For the PSU any thoughts on this one?
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99

Storage - I do agree..If I do maybe i will keep my 5TB WD Black..it is over 5 years old but does not (knock on wood) have any issues at this time.
But yes Keeping that 500 GB nvme for OS and might either go Samsung QVO 4TB SSD or just another 2TB nvme

Monitor: I do play mostly single player games..not all FPS..motion sickness in 1st person even with no head bob and lights on lol... more AWESOME 3rd person or other GPU intense games. VERY VALID point on the 1440P high refresh etc..my current is maxed at 1080p 144hz (AOC G2770PF) so maybe I can find a something better and for not that much $....SO I am thinking this one? Do you know anything about it..Seems to be perfect for me...and its only $299.99...unless it is not comp with my GPU which is GSync right?

Monoprice Gaming Monitor - 27 Inch, FHD, 240Hz, 1920x1080p, 1ms, DisplayHDR 400, AMD FreeSync Premium, Fast IPS-Type AHVA, 100x100 VESA Compatibility - Dark Matter

OH and I will have to enable XMP in my bios to take full advantage of the RAM speed right? I am new to this...
That Corsair PSU has great feedback, so strong pick.

I still have some WD Black HDDs in the parts bin, they never seem to die. All get a good or excellent drive health rating.

For cooling -The be quiet! dark rock pro 4 bk022 get a lot of love, so look at that one too.

The monitor I am unfamiliar with. Tim from Hardware Unboxed on youtube, TechSpot website, does a bunch of monitor reviews, you should browse his lists. He does a best gaming monitors round up about every 6 months, and has good recommendations. On GSync: AMD won that battle, and Nvidia cards will work with the vast majority of free sync displays now. They call it GSync compatible which just means adaptive sync supported now.

Looks like you have a beastly system in the making :beercheers:

rcoops72

May 24, 2012
Additional Question for you all..

1) I might reuse my case below. Do you think I will have enough room for the CPU cooler (one of the three listed under the case) with my GPU? Will it block a RAM port or anything I might need? PCPartPicker gave me this error in quotes:

"The Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 440mm long, but video cards over 310mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card is 324mm long, some drive bays may not be usable. The Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case hard drive bays are positioned where some of the bays may be physically blocked when using longer video cards."

2) And which cooler you all think with a i7-11700K CPU which I now will be overclocking due to the motherboards AWESOME AI.

3) Current items from PCPartPicker if you were wondering the route I was going : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JdWC3Z

4) If you think I should start fresh with a new case for airflow etc. what do you recommend. I do not care about a window or RGb etc....

5) Let me know if my fellow EXPERTs see anything out of the norm.

1635879636590.png
1)

Last edited: