need advice with cable internet connection

UpGrD

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a friend that has a new W98se system (that I built for him) and is having trouble with his cable
internet connection(USB nic). When I installed it it was fine. Easy install of AT&T cable. The problem is that it
seems to be loosing its ability to connect. For example, will be fine at at night but the next morning not
able to connect. Now I know that is not much info to go on but its all I have at this point. He did have a AT&T tech come out and he said that a reinstall of W98 was needed. ???? Might just be an easy out for the tech????
My thinking is that it is just a W98 Networking issue and simply uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft
networking and then AT&T software may clear this up.
So I guess whet I'm looking for is the general networking requirements of cable internet (dial-up connection is all I'm familiar with).
Any info, advice, techniques would be great.

Thanks.........

TheCrusher

Jun 4, 2001
My story sounds similar, though it happened last year. Installation of the @Home software did some things to the registry to enable all of the @Home features. All of this came to light when I tried to install a Linksys Cable router for my home network. The techs at Linksys sent me several emails that had specific instructions on how to correct the problems, and most required editing of registry entries (which scare me quite a bit).
I had another computer that was "uninfected" by @Home, and it worked right out of the box with the router. Eventually, I did reformat the hard drive on the 1st computer, and it came right back to life with a fresh install of Win and IE.
Another thing to check are the lights on the cable modem. If the service works sometimes but not others, it could be related to the service itself. If any lights on the modem are blinking, that's bad. I've had other cases where the lights are all on solid, but still no service. Unplugging the power cord on the modem, then re-plugging has corrected things a couple of times.
Things might have changed since then, but the tech may be correct in his advice. All of the work can be frustrating, but once you get things running, its great.

iNo712

Jan 28, 2000
I used to have some problems with my AT&T connection when my NIC card was set to full duplex. For a while it would work perfectly, but after a while I would lose my internet connection. After setting it to half-duplex, everything is working fine.

To check the setting, go to network properties and select your network adapter. Click on properties and there should be a setting for full or half duplex. I believe it is on the advanced tab. I would verify this, but I'm not running windows 98 anymore.

Good luck

May 16, 2000
First of all - USB Nic BAD!!! By the end of my time teching for @Home we'd only stay with a customer for a few minutes if he was using a USB Nic, they simply aren't reliable. Get a REAL nic and it may solve your problems right there.

Never install ANY @Home software. Ever. For any reason. It'll screw you up almost as badly as AOL. If you've installed it call @Home and get them to walk you through a complete and perfect removal of it - leave NOTHING on your system.

Need more info on the not being able to connect...What kind of cable mode, what are the lights doing, when you can't connect can you still ping, what's your route print look like, any unusual ARP entries, any pattern of day, time, or length of outage, what have you tried to fix the problem, is AOL a firewall or any other proxy software installed, any changes to the hardware or software of the system, etc, etc.

You may need to totally clean the network components (we called it the big nasty)- involves a lot of work and I need more info before I can suggest it in good faith.

Get some research done and get back to me, I'm always happy to show @Home what can happen when they let a real tech do his job. :cool:

UpGrD

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for all the info guys....
PrinceofWands,
I cant tell you much at this point. I have yet to check the system out (will tonight). But What I do plan on doing is a wipe out of all network components then reinstall them. Now other than uninstalling then reinstalling them, I'm not sure what more to do.
As for unistalling the @Home software, do you mean set up the connection without the software? BTW the usb nic is from AT&T if that makes a dif.....
As for the connection details, dont now much at this point. From what I have been told, the tech was able to get it connected but a shortime later the connection was lost and was not able to reconnect. As for what the lights are doing at that time I dont know. But my friend was told (by the AT&T tech)at that point that a reinstall/format was needed.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Token Joe

Nov 23, 1999
Yes to all above and do check to make sure the "cable" light is on on the modem when you are not able to connect. There are problems that can occur when the signal on the cable drops below a certain point. If this is the case the modem should lose its link to the server and the corresponding light on the modem should go out or blink.

also, princeofwands, any speed suggestions for @home?

UpGrD

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just a follow-up!
All it needed was to unistall the @Home software, reboot, done!
As PrinceofWands said,

<< Never install ANY @Home software. Ever. >>

Thanks for all the help!!!!!