• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Need advice upgrading CPU, MoBo, Memory and Storage

g00dfella

Jan 6, 2021
My budget is 1000 USD (75000 INR).

My usage is 3D modelling and computational design (Rhinoceros 3D and Grasshopper), rendering on Keyshot, competitive FPS shooters (Valorant, CS:GO) and AAA offline titles at 1080p, high quality.

CPU: Right now torn between Ryzen 5 5600x and 3600x. Also looking at Ryzen 7 3700x.

MoBo: I don't need fancy features but a flash BIOS function is a must. I do want a really good VRM design since I'd most likely be milking the CPU for years to come, with overclocking. Do I need a B550 or better chipset or will a B450 be sufficient? I understand that B550 has PCIe 4.0 lanes but are they really worth it? I'd be sticking to a single NVMe SSD and a SATA III HDD. As of now I don't see myself getting any expansion cards. Maybe a Wi-Fi 6 card when they are mainstream.

Memory: From what I've researched, (double rank 16GB @ 3600 MHz) x 2 = 32 GB will solve all my purposes. Please advise.

Storage: I have a 4TB WD Green HDD for storage that I'll keep. I need an NVMe drive to boot from.

I have a GTX 1070Ti and an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W Gold PSU. I hope those will suffice. No peripherals required.

I'll be sourcing parts in India.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Heya,

If your goal is long term on the CPU you buy now, have patience and get the 5600x at MSRP. A B450 chipset will work for your needs, but if your goal is overclocking, I would suggest you skip all these and just get a x570 chipset based board with good VRM and cooling (again if you want to overclock). The B450/B550 has no advantage to the x570 and is basically a slightly crippled version, so you might as well get the x570 if your goal is long term use and milking the most from it.

The rest should do well enough for now until GPU's are not insane anymore.

Very best,

ASK THE COMMUNITY