Need advice on OCing AMD k6-2+ 450MHz above 500MHz (please)

finieous

Mar 24, 2001
I have a TMC AI5VG+ motherboard and recently replaced my CPU (AMD k6-2 350MHz) with the AMD k6-2+ 450MHz processor. I had a bit of trouble getting my system to boot and luckily I had read on the AMDZone that some older motherboards will not boot with the + CPUs unless the clock is set at 300MHz. Doing this (through jumpers) I was able to boot and load windows.

I also added UARTs program k6clkini.com to my autoexec file that allowed me to change my multiplier through his k6clkwin program in windows. I can set it all the way up to 5 (5 x 100 MHz) to get up to 500MHz. When I select 5.5, I either lock up or sometimes get a blue screen.

This happens with the Vcore set at either 2.0 or 2.1.

I was wondering what is the best way to get it to go up to 550 or even maybe 600MHz. Right now I have a KWI HSF (ball bearing) combo that came with my k6-2 350MHz cpu from motherboards.com. I have read that inexpensive HSFs work just fine with the K6-2+ CPUs since they are made with 0.18 micron die instead of the typical 0.25 micron of the k6-2 CPUs. Would putting a better HSF onto the K6-2+ prevent the lock up I am experiencing at 550MHz? I have read post where others suggest the Globalwin FOP32-1 for this CPU.

Also, while I am on the topic, both the old and new CPUs have that metal shield on them with the etching of the AMD chip info. Do I need to put some form of compound between it and the HSF (like grease)?

Please be kind, I have never OC'd before and have minimal experience installing CPUs and HSFs.

Thanks for your help!

Aquarius

Banned
Mar 29, 2000
You know, I could be wrong.... but trying to o/c a k6-2 is probably not going to work. I don't think they o/c that well. My GUESS is that you would probably max out at 500. Again, I could be wrong. I've never tried it with a good cooler.

Edit: wait, I just saw that you have the k6-2 plus....my bad. I think they do have the .18 micron process. So here's what I would recommend. Ditch that heatsink and fan that you got with the m/b. For fan recommendations, I dont have the best experience for the k6-2 processors, but look around anandtech main page and there are a few articles on fan performance. Get some thermal paste as well to put in between the heatsink and CPU as well. Hope this helps.

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Get yourself a different mobo...like an ASUS P5A or an EPOX EP-MVP3G5. These boards are not very expensive and will work well with your new chip. Go over to the For Sale/Trade forum and put up a Want to Buy ad for one of these boards. I have used both for the "+" chips and they work great and you should get to 550 with no problem and 600 is not unfathomable as I have gotten that with these boards. Just my .02 worth. :D

{edit} I had the chips running with good ol' stock HS/f's..nothing fancy and they ran pretty cool...

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
i would like to help, but just honestly suggest that it's not worth your trouble. the extra 50MHz isn't going to give your chip the kick it needs to do anything better. also i've heard (though i don't know) k62's at that speed are not great ocers.

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
And if you really want some help go HERE. This is AMDZone and they have a forum just for K6-X series chips...These are the guys that can really help ya!!! :D

[and edit again] I see you already posed this question there...good going...