Need advice on current job situation. Please help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Triforceofcourage
I am an accountant and currently make 38k/year. I really like where I work. The office is casual and everyone I work with including my boss is really cool and easy going.

I have just been offered a position at another company making 54k/year. The hours will be alot longer even come in on Saturday's sometimes and the boss seems kind of like a dick. I was offered the position today and said he wanted an answer today. I told him I needed tonight to think it over.

What should I do?

Update:
I should have gotten a raise one months ago. My boss said after they had their meeting I should receive one. Never heard about it again since.
I am currently working as a Staff Accountant. The new position would be for a senior accountant. I currently work 40 hour work weeks. The new place said it would be more including ocasional Saturday's. I would rather stay with my current employer but I am not sure how to go about asking for a raise. This is my first job out of college and I have been there for about 1 year and 3 months.

easy.. show current boss offer letter and ask that he match it.

if he doesnt, leave. SIMPLE.

$38k to $54k is a HUGE jump at that low range. the extra $ will buy you alot more financial freedom.

now it would be different if it was $138k and the new job was $154k. the extra $20k in that high range is peanuts.

oh, and either way, congrats on your raise!

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Otaking
If you're fine with your 38k salary in terms of living comfortably, saving up for retirement, etc., then stay where you are and keep working torwards your CPA. Obviously your opportunities increase greatly will when you get that.

If you need / want the extra money and are willing to stick with nothing but working long hours and coming home late, then go for the new job. As someone said before, you also have to value how much your study time for the CPA matters.

Perhaps you could give us more info about your situation? Single? Kids? etc.

Single, no kids, currently living with the family to save money. Expenses are low because I am not paying for my own place. Going to take the CPA exam around January or February.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Single, no kids, currently living with the family to save money. Expenses are low because I am not paying for my own place. Going to take the CPA exam around January or February.
At 38k, you should be living like a king. I'd stay with your current job unless you're going to seek financial independence anytime soon.

Most of my paycheck goes to mortgage, food, auto, and insurance - crap that you don't have to worry about.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
It sounds like the new job would be working you 50-60 hours a week. Since you're single and have no kids you can probably dedicate that kind of time to a job if you really wanted to, but I dobut you'd be very happy.

I'd ask your current employer to match the offer. Even if they say they can only go up to like $48-50k you're still better off then working like a dog at the other place.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Originally posted by: gunblade
How long you have been with the current job? Any potential pay raise in forseenable future?

I should have gotten a raise one months ago. My boss said after they had their meeting I should receive one. Never heard about it again since.
I am currently working as a Staff Accountant. The new position would be for a senior accountant. I currently work 40 hour work weeks. The new place said it would be more including ocasional Saturday's. I would rather stay with my current employer but I am not sure how to go about asking for a raise. This is my first job out of college and I have been there for about 1 year and 3 months.

How many more hours are we talking about? If you''ll be required to work 50 hours a week your raise comes out to ~ $2.50 /hr Trow in an eight-hour Saturday, and you're making the same.

He didn't specify but he laughed when I told him I currently work 40 hour work weeks and said this position is definitely not one of those.
I don't believe working more than 40 hours a week counting beans is worth the raise. Sure with the extra money you could afford to go a out and buy some more Brown Suits and Yellow Shirts but is it really worth it? Anyway in a year you are going to become a CPA so the money will be there then.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Live with the 38k/year job until you've got your CPA. Then, talk to your current employer about a significant raise, but look for other jobs before you do it. If he doesn't honour your request, give your two-weeks-notice the same day.

Dec 4, 2002
Reading through the tread, it seems you've already answered your own question. Stay where you are, but use this situation as a tool to obtain more money with your curent employer.

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Update:

I called the company that offered me 54 and said thanks but no thanks. I spoke to my current boss and got a raise to 45k.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Update:

I called the company that offered me 54 and said thanks but no thanks. I spoke to my current boss and got a raise to 45k.

Atta boy :thumbsup: Have a :beer:, you've earned it.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Update:

You = WINNER!!!

Good work man. Now you have the best of both worlds. :)