Need advice on a new receiver/amp, building my first DIY speakers.

Silenus

Mar 11, 2008
I have been out of the HT/Audio game a LONG time. The last time I actually had a receiver and surround setup was an old sony unit from before the Playstation 2 came out! In other words...something like 13 years ago lol.

I have been watching TV and movies with just TV speakers for too long now. I am finally getting ready to build a decent system again. I have just about decided on (eventually having) 5.1 system based on Overnight Sensations. MTM's for left, right and center, and MT's for rear. Because we are in an apartment now and have a very small living room I am going to start with just a 2 channel setup with the front left and right pair, and a receiver/amp. Later when we move into our own house I will build out the rest of the speakers and sub.

I would like to get a decent receiver...but there are so many options and I'm out of touch with what is state of the art right now. I need some recommendations. Here is what I need/want:
1) It doesn't really need huge power per channel (even a good 50 watts is fine)...but it has to be ok powering the 4 ohm Overnight Sensation MTM design.
2) I would really like it to have one of those built in automatic EQ adjustment features (like Audyssey or whatever is similar from other manufacturers)
3) I am lost on the current state of the art when it comes to networking/remote control features. I'd love some of of integration/control with ANDROID smartphones. Not sure whats possible there. Some kind of Pandora/Slacker/Rdio/Spotify type integration a big plus. I know some can do bluetooth audio streaming but I'm not sold on the quality of audio there.
4) I have a Sony BDP-S390 Blu-Ray player. Is there any particular benefit to having a Sony receiver to match it?
5) My budget is up to approx $400 for the receiver. Lower is better. :)

I also still open to other suggestions on speaker designs/choices. Needs relatively small size and good bang for the buck. I really dig the OSMTM design and it's simple for a first DIY build.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
my suggestions:

1,2,5 - find a denon receiver that fits your budget/needs. most of them come with audyssey now. if you like onkyo go with them too. onkyo has been known to recently have some quality issues. i personally own a denon and have had no issues with it. deals pop up somewhat frequently on slickdeals about receivers too, both onkyo and denon.

3 - im actually looking into this right now with my ht. the 2 main "controller applications" i've seen are irule and roomie remote. roomie is for ios only, irule is for both, although irule seems to be a lot more customizable as far as layouts go, which also requires more time on your end to get the remote looking how you like. they basically control your ht components via ip. i know most of the newer denon receivers will work out of the box. however for other components (like xbox360, dvr, etc) you will most likely need some hardware the converts ir -> ip to be able to control the features with the applications. i also know that specific manufactures have their own actual apps that will control just the avr alone if that is all you want.

4. none at all, and i'd not recommend sony receiver simply because there are better options out there.

as far as DIY speakers go, i'm sure anubis will chime in here as he knows a lot about that. i know 0 about it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
as far as DIY speakers go, i'm sure anubis will chime in here as he knows a lot about that. i know 0 about it.

i actually built a pair of OSMTMs last year for my dads lake house

IMG_20120822_173700.jpg

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
how do you feel about refurbs?
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...rk-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/Airplay/1.html

will do what you want, Not sure you will get the internet radio features on a lower model.

if you dont really care about the networking stuff the 1712 will be slightly cheaper but less deatures
both have audessey room correction
not sure about android remotes

no benefit on matcing to your BR player

It's not 4 ohm capable. At the OP price range I don't think there is much that's rated 4 ohm capable. Correct me if I am wrong.

I own the 1712 and kind of wish I had the 1912 instead.

OP, check Google Play store for remote apps for whatever receiver you decide on. Here is a link to remote Denon apps.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=denon+remote+app

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
it wont have an issue with the OS MTMs the 1910 isnt 4ohm stable either and i used it on them without issue
as well as some JVC i randomly have had sicne college and they are currently run off of a 40 year old Mcintosh (non tube)

Silenus

Mar 11, 2008
it wont have an issue with the OS MTMs the 1910 isnt 4ohm stable either and i used it on them without issue
as well as some JVC i randomly have had sicne college and they are currently run off of a 40 year old Mcintosh (non tube)

I didn't think the amp needed to be explicitly 4 ohm stable. In fact Paul Carmody himself said if your amp is at least 6 ohm rated...you are probably just fine.