Need advice for overclocking an i7-970 on DX58SO

Klingenberg

Oct 29, 2012
Does anyone have experience overclocking an i7-970 on a DX58SO board?

Current settings:

BCLK = 155 (Stock)
Ram = 8*155 = 1240 mhz

Rest is stock. Tried upping the cpu voltage to 1,25, but can't get it higher than 160 bclk, and temps rose from around 60c to 80c.

Couldn't find an option to enable the 1600mhz xmp profile in the bios. Tried using the intel utility, found the xmp-profile, but crashes at startup when enabled. Is it even possible to run the ram(corsair vengeance) at 1600mhz with this cpu and mb?

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
What are you setting multiplier to with the 160 bclk?
Check the l5639 overclocking thread. Tonns of good info there to help

Reactions: Klingenberg

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
Usually i disable xmp, set multi lower and bclk 200. Manually set memory to 1600. Trial and error really , while i havent used the same board you have this has worked for me with a few different boards. Ive been to lazy to monkey with voltages so usually leave them on auto

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Usually i disable xmp, set multi lower and bclk 200. Manually set memory to 1600. Trial and error really , while i havent used the same board you have this has worked for me with a few different boards. Ive been to lazy to monkey with voltages so usually leave them on auto

I recommend this ^^^

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
it does but if i remember right, its supposed to be set to 2x the memory speed

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Something is wrong here I think. X58 motherboards do not have BLCK stock at 155. IIRC, it should be at 133 unless you OC or UC it. Not all boards can do BLKC 200 though. What should be done, simply set the multiplier to the highest available, and start uping BCLK. You will need to change 2 main voltage settings: vcore, and the uncore voltage, sometimes called QPI/VTT depending or something else depending on board. With Gulftown chips, the uncore multiplier should be set to >= 1.5x the RAM multiplier. With the Bloomsfield, it will need to be >= 2x. You have a 970, so that is a Gulftown.

Reactions: Makaveli

Klingenberg

Oct 29, 2012
Something is wrong here I think. X58 motherboards do not have BLCK stock at 155. IIRC, it should be at 133 unless you OC or UC it. Not all boards can do BLKC 200 though. What should be done, simply set the multiplier to the highest available, and start uping BCLK. You will need to change 2 main voltage settings: vcore, and the uncore voltage, sometimes called QPI/VTT depending or something else depending on board. With Gulftown chips, the uncore multiplier should be set to >= 1.5x the RAM multiplier. With the Bloomsfield, it will need to be >= 2x. You have a 970, so that is a Gulftown.

The stock baseclock is 133, you are correct.

I reached 3,84Ghz at 167*23 with solid temps.

I'm not sure what impact the uncore multiplier and voltage have on cpu overclock and stability. If anyone have a link with information, that would be great.

And also, I read that the uncore multiplier should always be 2x ram multiplier, and even higher if possible. Why does gulftown cpu's only need it to be 1,5x?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hey welcome back. I am not sure on the reasoning why the difference in required uncore multis between the bloomsfield and gulftown, I just know that is one technical difference. As for stability, for obvious reasons the uncore clock can only go so high. The uncore voltage, sometimes called QPI/VTT or possibly other terms depending on the motherboard, affects several aspects of stability. Your uncore, obviously, but also RAM speeds and BCLK speeds IIRC. Should be kept under 1.35V in general. Generally, for standard RAM / Uncore speeds, you may not even need to adjust it for your 167 BCLK. Going higher though, you may need to up it a bit from normal.

So in general, if you are getting memory/BCLK related stability issues, you may need to up uncore voltage. For CPU related stability issues, vcore. Your memory should be fine at 1600MHz or under with standard VDIMM, and the bios should auto adjust the timings well enough. Keep in mind that your memory speed is not necessarily going to be 1600MHz, depending on your BCLK frequency, as once BCLK is upped, memory frequency goes up.