Need advice for o/c

tkopp

Apr 13, 2000
I have a celeron566 that performs a little oddly. Basically, it runs at 95f idle/100f heavy load when at 566, but at 952 the temp only goes up to 100f idle/105f load.I find this a little hard to swallow, especially since the core shows signs of heat instability at 952 (since I have to run it at 1.95v to get there). Basically, the system is a tad unstable (randomly closes 3d apps) and will lock after 15-20 min of 3d games. However, motherboard monitor (and the bios) reports the CPU as only around 107f! Maybe I attatched the thermal sensor wrong, and you guys might be ablw to help me on this one.

I put the sensor on the core, with the tip touching the die, and them taped it down. I'm pretty sure that the core is getting good thermal contact with the heatsink/fan, since the heatsink grease will leave a clean, square coat on the heatsink. The heatsink, by the way, is a beefy retail heatsink from the P3 750+ series. I'm currently looking into having a local store let me try one of their all-copper models before I buy it to see if that helps.

At first I thought that the motherboard was heating up, and I checked the temp on that too, and it was following the celeron at about equal amounts (105f/105f etc) so I put on a low profile heatsink and mounted a globalwin 60mm 7000rpm fan on it sideways (since the cpu fan covered much of the top of the heatsink) and that dropped the motherboard temperature to ~90f at 566mhz, or 95f at 952mhz. It isn't a matter of case cooling either, since I've popped open the case and directed a desk fan at the side and the system only drops two degrees fahrenheit.

Anyone have any suggestions on improving stability, or at least any theories on why the CPU temp is reported so low?

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
I didn't see where you told what MB you have -- tell us and someone might be able to help with the pecularities of the readings.
Alpha heatsinks and silver thermal compounds work, and might put you over the top. Like the Pep66 on a MS6905 slocket with Circuit Works Silver heatsink compound that I use.

tkopp

Apr 13, 2000
I'm using the BX6 R2. And I'm thinking of trying a better heatsink, but since those purchases are expensive (for me, $30-$40 isn't something to waste) I want to make sure there are no other explanations. Remember, the heat sensor only reads 107f! I guess I could pressure the guys at the local computer store into letting me try a heatsink in-house and seeing if that works. They do call me for advice every now and then, even though I've never worked there.