Need a way to call Jamaica without paying the local phone company a fortune

mikeyes

Jan 26, 2005
Taking a vacation during the summer to Jamaica and I need to find a way to let the kids check in without breaking the bank. My long distance carrier wants ~$3-4 a minute. Is anyone familiar with or used any calling cards to do this?

Thanks

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mikeyes
Taking a vacation during the summer to Jamaica and I need to find a way to let the kids check in without breaking the bank. My long distance carrier wants ~$3-4 a minute. Is anyone familiar with or used any calling cards to do this?

Thanks

Find a calling card that covers Jamaica. Usually these will be available from an ethnic store.

Usually $5 will cover 1 hr of time +/-.

Read the fine print before purchase:
There may be a connect charge every time use use it past the original which lowers the available talk time.
Also, use of an 800 number vs a local call to initially place the call may affect the card.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Do you have a cellphone? Most have Nationwide plans or at least offer them, you could change your plan for a month or so.

mikeyes

Jan 26, 2005
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Do you have a cellphone? Most have Nationwide plans or at least offer them, you could change your plan for a month or so.

My cell phone is through work so I didn't want to mess with that if possible. I found lots and lots of calling cards that covered Jamaica but who know which ones you can trust and don't have lots of hidden fees.

mikeyes

Jan 26, 2005
Originally posted by: fatpat268
You could just use skype. I'm not sure of the rates, but it's pennies on the dollar compared to the phone company.

Edit: ends up being 14.5 cents a minute

http://www.skype.com/prices/callrates/

Might have to check that out thanks. Didn't want to make it too complicated for the inlaws but I could grab one of those USB handsets to make things easier.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mikeyes
Originally posted by: TruePaige

My cell phone is through work so I didn't want to mess with that if possible. I found lots and lots of calling cards that covered Jamaica but who know which ones you can trust and don't have lots of hidden fees.

The fees are required to be printed on the card or card holder.
By the cheapest one and test it to find out.
Call the location that you are planning on being at a couple of times to see how the card works.

Also, those that sell the card may have some advice on which vendor to use.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I use a Sprint calling card to call international and it has awesome rates. I bought it at CVS.

mikeyes

Jan 26, 2005
Originally posted by: DougK62
I use a Sprint calling card to call international and it has awesome rates. I bought it at CVS.

Thanks. Did it specify that it was for international calling or was it a regular calling card?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
http://www.onesuite.com/rates.asp --> US-Jamaica = 0.25/min.

I've had onesuite on and off for a few years now. Even though there's a minimum $10, it's worth it. You have to use it within a few months but if you don't, it's saved for the next time you throw in another $10. The rates and service are excellent and like I said I've had plenty of uses for it for many trips. It uses regular landlines and the calls can be made from any location as long as you have the free local access number for onesuite.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Skype.

14.5c/m is a steal. You could talk for an hour on what the telco would charge you in probably 5 minutes. :p

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I used Pingo to call New Zealand for 4c a minute 2 yrs ago. You call from any phone. My buddy uses it to call Taiwan for like 3c a minute. I would program in the whole combination in my cell and be using my cell minutes to talk to NZ for 4c a minute, amazing really.

Jamaica is 9c a minute. Easy to use too, set it up once for them and it's easy.

cheezmunky

Sep 30, 2002
I've used my cell phone (I'm on AT&T, cingular at the time) to call back to the US from Jamaica and it was just like using regular minutes. Might have been a fluke in the system, though, and not sure if it works the other way around.

Hannover

Jan 25, 2005
If you think you'll need a cell phone while you're on the island, I'd recommend leaving yours at home and just renting one. You can get one for about $20 / week + minutes. They have them (Digicell) at the airport and several taxi / tour services offer them. It's real handy to call a familiar face to pick you at the bar instead of wandering out into the street to negotiate.