Need a video security system, any way to do this?

Feb 24, 2001
I don't live in a bad part of town, I just don't like uninvited guests. I rent a duplex and the landlord has a key, so would like to make sure no one is coming in when I'm away.

I figure I'd want this setup:

Camera inside, facing the front door

There is a window right next to the front door. Have a camera looking through the miniblinds to see outside. See cars that drive up, people at the door, etc.

Another camera for the rear door. Not really necessary, as no one has a key to it. Would only be if someone is unloading my goodies out the back of my place.

I figure that is all easy enough with some webcams, but a quality picture is lacking. Plus on the one out the front window, would be useless at night.

I know there are infrared cams I could use, but do they work in daylight as well (dual function).

I'd like them to auto-on, so that if the front door opens, they begin recording. Furthermore, I would like them to stream the recording to my work PC. Wouldn't do me a bit of good if it starts recording to my home PC and someone steals it.

Even furthermore, would be killer if there was a way for it to stream/notify me on my cellphone (Treo 700wx) if they activate.

I don't guess I can use webcams on the front window and back door as USB cables won't really reach that far...So I guess a network camera is in order.

Anyone running such a system? I'm not wanting to spend several grand. More of looking for the best bang/buck system or combo.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
The only way I know is to use some wireless cams and record the video with a VCR.

All that auto-notification stuff you've mentioned... doesn't sound impossible.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MX2
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

They do everything you mentioned and more.

Do you have experience with those X10 products? I am curious to see what people really think about them, because the prices are so low and their web site so flashy that it just screams scam to me...