Need a universal remote for my mom

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
My mother has directv service, a TCL television, Vizio sound bar and an Amazon stick she uses for netflix/amazon video. Is there such thing as one remote that can control all of these things?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
A quick search looks like a non-IR Harmony
from Logitech would work with the Fire Stick.
Here's a tutorial for that.

I think the other three devices can work with any of the other harmony devices. They are pretty common.

I have owned two harmony devices. The last one was a 650.
I really wanted to like them but they just didn't last long for me. Working several devices from one remote does take some getting use to. Maybe their quality has gotten better, so they will last longer.

They are not real cheap.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My mom bought a Harmony a few years back when my Grandmother on her side was alive, for her to use. I had the job of programming it, with my laptop. (It plugged into USB, I think, the model that we had.)

It was kind of a PITA. Had to download the programming program, connect via USB, create a Logitech "cloud" account for your Harmony, etc.

And then, even when we had it programmed, my Grandmother still couldn't quite get the hang of it.

On the whole, I think it was a waste of money, with the "intent to simplify". For us geeks, it might be viable, but for a "norm", just wanting something simpler, I don't think that the Harmony is it. Then again, maybe they've improved over the years.

Feb 4, 2009
My mom bought a Harmony a few years back when my Grandmother on her side was alive, for her to use. I had the job of programming it, with my laptop. (It plugged into USB, I think, the model that we had.)

It was kind of a PITA. Had to download the programming program, connect via USB, create a Logitech "cloud" account for your Harmony, etc.

And then, even when we had it programmed, my Grandmother still couldn't quite get the hang of it.

On the whole, I think it was a waste of money, with the "intent to simplify". For us geeks, it might be viable, but for a "norm", just wanting something simpler, I don't think that the Harmony is it. Then again, maybe they've improved over the years.

this x100
without knowing you Moms age, I can say every single attempt at simplifying the TV or recording device or speakers or well anything has failed with my Father.
He simply prefers to write down what he needs to do an refer to his notes. He seems to like having to deal with multiple remotes vs changing the mode on the TV
Over the last 15 years I have tried nearly everything and it all has failed.

Great recent example is I set up a chrome cast for him because he really likes YouTube for some reason, changing the mode of the TV and launching the iPad app was just too much for him. He prefers using his hunt and peck method on his Samsung TV remote.