Question Need a router to replace my ISP's unit

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The router that comes with my ISP is notoriously not great either as an individual device or for WiFi. But I don't know where to start in looking for a new one.
I get the highest up and downloads I can get where I live, 400down and 50 up. So I don't need a Gigabit capable router but if price isn't a factor, why not future-proof is my philosophy. I'd like several LAN ports but I will be using my existing Mesh system anyway for the layout of our apartment. Apart from that I just want to not have a router where someone in a tech forum recommends doing something with my router that it turns out I don't have the ability to do. Strong Wifi from the base would be great, but again, as long as I can run my mesh system which I love for our layout, then I'll be happy.
Can anyone recommend something? Budget is hard to answer because I don't know what these go for anymore. I haven't had a router since my Linksys WRT54G over ten years ago. Just give me prices that are reasonable for what I need.
Please, and thank you.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well you could go wired only for $50 if you have the mesh handle the WiFi. If you need both then it's a toss up depending on if you want 6E or just 2.4/5ghz bands for the devices.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
One of the only affordable Wifi 6e routers (6ghz) $200-$20 coupon

2 options I've seen recently for ~$100 wifi 6 routers

I'm currently running the dlink x4860. The web interface is somewhat weird though.

If you want to be able to replace the firmware with openwrt

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'd like the router to handle the ethernet routing I need in that room, and I would then just shut off the WiFi and use my Mesh system that works so well.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'd like the router to handle the ethernet routing I need in that room, and I would then just shut off the WiFi and use my Mesh system that works so well.
That makes sense to me as I segregate my wired/wifi duties to different devices. It allows more flexibility when tech upgrades and you don't want to drop $500+ on a new black box.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Multi-WAN-Integrated-Lightening-Protection/dp/B0917SJHH3 - $50 and you can swap ports from LAN > WAN > LAN up to 4 in the group.

If you need some additional ports then just add a switch to the mix for the wired clients. They're cheap. $10 gets you 4 usable ports. If you have a ton of devices it might make more sense to go with a managed switch with some more options but, that might jump the price to $100. I bought used TPL off ebay awhile back to play around with some stuff and IIRC it was a 16 port for $50.

Reactions: mxnerd

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
That makes sense to me as I segregate my wired/wifi duties to different devices. It allows more flexibility when tech upgrades and you don't want to drop $500+ on a new black box.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Multi-WAN-Integrated-Lightening-Protection/dp/B0917SJHH3 - $50 and you can swap ports from LAN > WAN > LAN up to 4 in the group.

If you need some additional ports then just add a switch to the mix for the wired clients. They're cheap. $10 gets you 4 usable ports. If you have a ton of devices it might make more sense to go with a managed switch with some more options but, that might jump the price to $100. I bought used TPL off ebay awhile back to play around with some stuff and IIRC it was a 16 port for $50.
Oh, I already have a switch. All I'm asking for here is advice on a router.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Cheap and powerful. Both comes with wifi. Just disable the wifi part if not needed (can be used as a backup wifi)

Power can come with UI complexity, however.

Better visit Youtube for reviews before marking decision.

==

Ubiquiti Edgerouter is good too.

==

The TP-Link router suggested by @Tech Junky probably is just all you need.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The devices just pick the stronger signal. It's not really integrated, you can't manage them as one.

Exactly what functionality you need/want from the router?

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The devices just pick the stronger signal. It's not really integrated, you can't manage them as one.

Exactly what functionality you need/want from the router?
In case I ever need to control ports in a way that is better than what the ISP one permits. Better guest network tools, QoS, etc

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Doesn't your mesh system support guest network or QoS?

I think Microtik & Ubiquiti both supports ports control & VLAN.

I don't play games, can't comment on them. But youtube & internet got reviews.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Doesn't your mesh system support guest network or QoS?

I think Microtik & Ubiquiti both supports ports control & VLAN.

I don't play games, can't comment on them. But youtube & internet got reviews.

Actually, I don't game online ever so I guess then that I really just don't need a special router at all. Better for me I guess.
I think what threw me off was that my last ISP had an all-in-one modem/router and so I had to plug into that and my head saw it as a router and so I now thought I needed a router again to plug my mesh into. I didn't see the mesh as something that could function just with a modem. I imagine that doesn't make much sense but that's just the way I saw it.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Mesh system are just several integrated wired/wifi units that each one can function as a router (first one) or a node.

So when you plug in a mesh system into ISP router (usually called a gateway), you get double NAT. It's not a big issue if all of your devices are wired to the mesh system or wireless connected to it. You want more ports? Just add a (smart) switch to any unit.

If you really want to avoid double NAT (which slows down the speed just a little bit), you have to find the doc or ask your ISP how to run the gateway in pure modem mode.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I wouldn't rely on an ISP device to do firewalling. It's always a good idea to set a demarcation point between your network and the ISP. As to the nat issue it's usually for those trying to port forward for external access. Speed usually isn't a factor unless you have ancient network equipment. I'm effectively triple nat'd currently and have no speed impacts.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
If you really want to avoid double NAT (which slows down the speed just a little bit), you have to find the doc or ask your ISP how to run the gateway in pure modem mode.
I no longer have that combination modem/router. What I now have is a separate router and modem from my ISP.
As to the nat issue it's usually for those trying to port forward for external access.
That's exactly what I do. I access all my music shares via an app that lets me access them via data while I'm away from home.
I wouldn't rely on an ISP device to do firewalling. It's always a good idea to set a demarcation point between your network and the ISP.
How do I go about doing that?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
So if everything is OK and remote music is also working, then what worries you?

Still feel not safe? Too few options ? Maybe a self built firewall like pfsense will suit you.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=pfsense&crid=1J1773AYQS8TE&sprefix=pfsense

any mini pc with dual ports should work (make sure the CPU supprts AES-NI)

INTEL ethernet chip is much better than Realtek though.

Products fromn Protectli

==

As long as you don't open ports, I wouldn't worry being hacked. No firewall needed. 😁

==

I use ZeroTier VPN for family members, no ports open. Search tutorials on YT.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinpanalley