Need a recomendation on a cooler

The Forge

Dec 20, 2007
Ive had my stuff for a while, but i want to start OC'n it.

q6600 with stock HSF (G0)
evga 680i A2
Thermaltake 850w PSU
Termaltake Armor case (damn its big)
WD Raptor 150g
cosair xms2 2x1g ddr2 800

Im looking for a cooler for my CPU. Ive seeen the reviews on this site - but im looking for something easy to install, efficient, quiet, and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

I like the reviews on the Thermalright, but im not sure what would be best for me. I really dont want to pull out the mother board again, but i can if its worth it. Id like to OC to about 3.2-3.4 on air if possible.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
The Freezer 7 Pro is better than the stock cooler, quieter and doesn't cost much. It's not the best cooler out there but it's a good upgrade.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong. But the Big Typhoon VX will pop in without having to take out the motherboard.

That may be the best for you as you do not need to remount.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
If you want a decent top rated model I say Tuniq 120 cheap for what it can do has fan and just plug and go. But you do need to take out mb for installations, it's kinda huge.

The Forge

Dec 20, 2007
after some reading, most of the good ones require the baord to come out. SO i guess i might as well.

That being the case, do people still think the thermalright ultra is the way to go?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: The Forge
That being the case, do people still think the thermalright ultra is the way to go?

The TR Ultra 120 Extreme is a degree or two better than the Tuniq Tower, but it almost always has to be lapped, plus it's much harder to mount, I hear. And since you're only shooting for 3.2ish Ghz, the Tuniq will be more than enough for you. Shoot, my Scythe Ninja keeps me under 60C @ 3.2 Ghz, while running Small FFT's.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: myocardia
Originally posted by: The Forge

The TR Ultra 120 Extreme is a degree or two better than the Tuniq Tower, but it almost always has to be lapped, plus it's much harder to mount, I hear. And since you're only shooting for 3.2ish Ghz, the Tuniq will be more than enough for you. Shoot, my Scythe Ninja keeps me under 60C @ 3.2 Ghz, while running Small FFT's.

Scythe use the push pin method that just requires you to press the mounting pins through the holes. No backplates and screws. They're good too if you want something very nice with fast install. I prefer screws with the backplate myself, but the push pin is secure if you double check the pins after install. Many people use the Scythe with much success.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Big Typhoon is a good all-around CPU cooler. It's even more lethal when upgraded with a medium speed 120 x 38mm Panaflo. This combo generates sufficient air flow to cool the PWM, NB, and SB in addition to the CPU. That's very important when overclocking a quad. A side duct will all the BT to use room tempeature air for cooling. That's an instant gain of at least 3C for the CPU.