Need a new iPod solution for car ...

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
My old car had a cassette deck and so I just hooked up a headphone-to-tape adapter and voila! But I have moved onto a newer car and it doesn't have a cassette deck and Apple doesn't offer "iPod-Your-Car" with the model.

How can I get my iPod playing on my car stereo? I imagine it would have to be done wirelessly/through the radio. Which products are best with that?

Feb 19, 2001
you would think that audio jacks are easy to implement, and thank goodness toyota finally makes these things standard in the 2007 Camry

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
a radio transmitter should only be used as a last resort. although i haven't had much trouble with my itrip, you have no idea how long it took to find a good station. a headunit with an aux input is best. if you must get an fm stransmitter, get one of those boxes (forgot what they're called now. somebody will say it later) that let's you clean up the signal. it will be worth it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1. FM transmitter: does the job, but sounds crappy
2. CD player with line-in: best solution imo, cheapos are $99 at Crutchfield (I have an Aiwa models, works great with a 1/8" to 1/8" cable)
3. RCA input adapter: thread the 1/8" jack through your dash area using your existing radio
4. Speciality iPod adapter: depends on your car/receiver, see iceLink systems and whatnot

I'd go with a new CD player. This way you can hook up anything else with a headphone jack, including a PDA with GPS, a laptop computer, a MiniDisc player, and so on.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
PXNI + Sik IMP (or just a cable like this, which you'll need anyways, but the imp gives line-out audio, which isn't affected by the volume level of the iPod)

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Buy an FM modulator, install it between your antenna and your stereo (your antenna plugs into the FM modulator, the FM modulator plugs into the antenna-in on your stereo). Gives you a very clear line-in to a frequency in the FM band. Works well with my car.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ajayjuneja
For a G35, get the PAC satellite radio adapter that lets you use your sat radio input.

yep. agreed. it lets you use the steering wheel controls to shuffle through your ipod. its good stuff.

i need to get this... but first a z-tube with stillen cai and stillen catback exhaust...