need a new garage door and opener, what's a good place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
Sears, do they have good installers or subcontractors? And how much should both cost? And how long will it take? Thanks

May 13, 2009
Home depot or Lowe's. Just check both and whoever has best price (including installation in price) go with them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Chamberlain openers PWN the Craftsman models.

If you watch the ads, you can play Lowes against Home Depot on price and installation.

We bought ours at Lowe's a couple of years ago...after getting them to match Home Depot's install price.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004

If you watch the ads, you can play Lowes against Home Depot on price and installation.

We bought ours at Lowe's a couple of years ago...after getting them to match Home Depot's install price.

This. We've had only one fail in the 24 years in this house - and they get used a ton.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I used the same Chamberlain unit for 20 years ... but I have replaces the plastic worm gear twice.

OP, if you can wait HD and Lowes usually has a great deal on these units during BF ... then install it yourself.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Depending on your area, you may want either a fully insulated garage door, or maybe a solid wood one. Wood will be heavier and need a beefier garage door opener. Depending on how your garage is setup, there is either 2 springs along the ceiling or a torsion spring across the top of the door. You should not mess with the torsion type yourself. Very dangerous. For the other type, raise and support the door, remove the springs, slowly lower door to floor. Now disconnect arm to the opener. Begin removing panels one by one. Installation is basically the opposite, unless you need to change tracks. If you get a pro to do it, it should not take more than 3-4 hours especially if a door opener is already there. Add 1 hr if he has to mount an opener to door that never had one. In that case, you also need electric run to it. And a few minutes to set closing speed and safety sensors.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
go to yahoo local and type in garage doors, walmart doesn't carry/install them. Wood doors are more expensive and won't dent as easy, Metal/Steel ones are cheaper but don't hold up to a baseball.

Don't forget the Federal Energy Tax Credit when you install an Insulated Garage Door, i think you can get up to 30% or $1500 back and it ends this month.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Is it because Chamberlain makes the best for their own branded models? The reason that I ask is that many (if not all) Craftsman models are made by Chamberlain (IIRC). FWIW, my Craftsman has been running 20 years (chain drive) and has had the plastic worm gear changed one time.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Is it because Chamberlain makes the best for their own branded models? The reason that I ask is that many (if not all) Craftsman models are made by Chamberlain (IIRC). FWIW, my Craftsman has been running 20 years (chain drive) and has had the plastic worm gear changed one time.

If you hadn't said you'd had that opener for 20 years, I'd ask if it was a new change in manufacturer for Sears...BUT, it may be model specific. At one time, Genie made the openers for Craftsman...or at least some of them.

I see Sears has slightly improved the warranty on their openers...
Garage Door Openers
90-DAY IN-HOME FULL WARRANTY ON PRODUCT
For 90 days from the date of purchase, this product will be repaired, free of charge, if defective in
material or workmanship.
ADDITIONAL LIMITED WARRANTY ON PARTS
From the 91st day through 1 year from the date of purchase, replacement parts for any defective
parts on this product will be furnished, free of charge. Any costs for professional installation are
not included.
ADDITIONAL LIMITED WARRANTY ON MOTOR
From the 91st day through 5 years from the date of purchase, if the motor on this product is
defective, a replacement motor will be furnished free of charge. Any costs for professional
installation are not included.

The higher end Chamberlain openers carry a better warranty:

Manufacturer Warranty : Lifetime Motor warranty, 10 year belt warranty, 3 year parts warranty

IMO, just the warranty difference makes branded Chamberlain openers a better value.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Most of the craftsman models are made by chamberlain. Sears also offers Genie's, but IIRC they don't make any of the craftsmans.

Sears does offer installation, its 120 dollars or so IIRC and they contract through approved local contractors, its usually pretty safe to do it through them and they warranty the installation for a year if you buy it in store. You can probably get it cheaper if you go straight to the contractor, but thats your choice.

The prices at sears are pretty comparable too, but you won't be able to do any price matching on craftsman models since nobody else carries them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We paid $39 for installation through Lowes in a sale. Usually about double that price, they matched Home Depot's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.