Need a new city building game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
Originally posted by: acheron
Originally posted by: AtaruMoroboshi18
Try something entirely unique and you might never go back to normal city building games again. Try Dwarf Fortress 2, I can guarantee you that it blows your other city builders out of the water. BE WARNED, it is not only one of the most complex games ever, you might become addicted to it and rogue-likes in general...

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Is that seriously a link to a rogue-like + city-builder? God, that sounds awesome and terribly addicting. (I have ascended 12/13 classes in Nethack.) I will check it out when I get home from work.

It's a little different, but pretty much the same. You basically have a group of dwarves and you have them burrow through mountains or underground, create rooms like living quarters, kennels, carpentry, then build furniture and sundries, then procure food, then process booze, then tons of other really fun things and watch out for sieges from goblins and kobolds. Get good at the game and it will take hold of you like no other.