Need a new cell phone

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
I don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money. The most important thing is reception and battery life. Preferably a flip phone with MP3 rings if that is possible without costing hundreds.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Can't really give you an answer without knowing who your service provider is going to be?

Albis

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
i love my nokia 6260 but it costs just under 300 unlocked

it can play mp3s, word documents, powerpoint slides, take pictures, record videos, push to talk technology and more!

MommysLittleMonster

Nov 2, 2004
I just ordered my RAZR from www.wirefly.com for $99 with new contract (2yr Cingular) without any rebates. Amazon is also offering the RAZR for $50.....with $125 in rebates. So, today you would pay $175. I prefer to pay less today and not worry about rebates than to pay less in the long run.

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
If I already have service and I buy a phone on the internet how do I get my service changed over from the old phone?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: mitchafi
If I already have service and I buy a phone on the internet how do I get my service changed over from the old phone?

if you have a phone that has a GSM chip, all you have to do is take the chip out of your old phone and put it in the new phone.

-=bmacd=-

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001

Depends on the service, and the phone. For phones with a SIM-card slot, just move the card from the old to the new phone. For phones with internal cards, you will have to contact the service provider to have the new phone activated under your existing account.

A word of caution if you are buying a used phone to replace your existing one - some providers will NOT change the account linked to a phone if there is an outstanding balance from the previous owner.

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
I just checked behind the battery and I think there is a SIM card. It is small and square with a little diagonal slice taken off of it and it says ATT on it. So basically all I have to do is switch that card to my new phone and I'm ready to roll?

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I just checked behind the battery and I think there is a SIM card. It is small and square with a little diagonal slice taken off of it and it says ATT on it. So basically all I have to do is switch that card to my new phone and I'm ready to roll?

One thing I forgot to mention. Some subsidized phones (free or better after rebate ones) come "locked" to a specific provider. This is one way for cell phone companies to prevent people from buying a phone at a subsidized price without also subscribing to a service plan though which they can recover their investment. While capable of working with any compatible GSM service, these subsidized phones must first be "unlocked" to work with a different provider. After a certain number of months as a paid customer, the service provider will usually give you the unique unlock code for your particular phone at no charge. This doesn't apply if you are using the phone with a different account with the same service provider (AT&T > AT&T). If you are planning to use a subsidized, branded phone with a service different than it was intended (AT&T > T-Mobile, for example), be sure to check to make sure it comes unlocked, or you know how/where to have the unlock procedure done.

This forum will have more info on particular phone/service brands, as well as unlock info:

http://www.howardforums.com/

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
gsaldivar is correct. Your provider is AT&T, not Cingular. Yes, I know they merged, but your contract is still with them. You need a phone that's unlocked, or one that's locked to AT&T. Unlocked phones aren't cheap though, unless you can find an older model.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I want to upgrade my Nokia AT&T 6560 now it's the smallest TDMA, but now that GSM is more widespread it's time to move one...

I like that 6230, the 7280 is impressive for size Weight: 3.0 ounces, 4.53" long x 1.26" wide x 0.75" thick

Specs:
Voice
Answer and end calls in true style with the active slide
Smoothly slides open to reveal the cunningly hidden camera and breathtaking mirror-finish display
Stand out like a flame in the darkness with the unique rotator (no number keys, only Select, Send, End, and 2 soft keys)
Voice-activated user interface for a more personal touch
Internal handsfree speaker for convenient communication

Multimedia Messaging Service
Explore your flair for creativity and send your creations via MMS1,14
Share the excitement of your evening via SMS and MMS with AMR voice clips1,14

Camera and Video
Capture the nights most compelling moments with the integrated VGA (640 x 480 pixels) camera19
Video streaming1

Connectivity
HSCSD and GPRS for high-speed data connectivity1,15
XHTML browser (WAP 2.0)1,2,12
SyncML for daily synchronization of daytime and nighttime phones1
Synchronize your phone book, calendar and to-do list with your PC5
Send and receive data via Bluetooth wireless technology or via infrared22

Organization
Phone book with up to 1000 contacts with multiple entries per contact?
Calendar with notes and reminders?
Alarm clock
To-do list?

Personalization & Fun
Subtle and sleek rotator to access features in a unique way
Red glow display screen exudes mystery and excitement
Refresh your soul by downloading tones, skins, themes, screensavers and wallpapers
Polyphonic ringing tones
Integrated FM radio (requires headset, sold separately)

Specifications
Weight: 3.0 ounces
4.53 inches long x 1.26 inches wide x 0.75 inch thick
Breathtaking display supports up to 65,536 colors within 104 x 208 pixels
Internal antenna and vibrating alert
Unique Navi?Spinner scroll for easy navigation

Service
GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900 MHz

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Amazon has a great deal on the 6230 if you are a new subscriber. You can make $50. It sucks that it's for new subs only though.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Muadib
Amazon has a great deal on the 6230 if you are a new subscriber. You can make $50. It sucks that it's for new subs only though.

yeah..new sub :) I have had a cell for > 10 years with AT&T now cingular.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst

You will have to sign a 2 year contract, but I don't think you will have a problem with that. You will
also have to get a new number, because Amazon can't port numbers with Cingular.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

You will have to sign a 2 year contract, but I don't think you will have a problem with that. You will

the non-porting thing is a problem...I have 10 years of contacts, some sporadic, but valuable. I'd rather pay the $200 than that.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I recommend getting it through http://www.letstalk.com/ if you don't want to pay for it and then wait for the rebates.

If you want to keep/port your number, Tmobile has a great plan - 1,000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and free mobile-to-mobile for $45.99.

Phone wise, this is what they offer - http://wsf3.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm/depId=1/pgId=100

I chose the Nokia 3220 (oven though it doesn't look as cool) over the Samsung e715 and e315, and the Moto v330 because it seems to have less reception problems, and I haven't heard anything about the screen slowly dying.

If you're gonna order it through letstalk.com, send me a PM. I just signed up and if I refer someone we both get $25 off.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Is the Amazon offer only for new subscriptions, or for anyone purchasing a new rate plan? I'm going to upgrade our FamilyTalk plan when I upgrade my phone, and the 6230 is a great deal. So I'd be buying a new plan. Does that qualify me for the Amazon special offers?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Is the Amazon offer only for new subscriptions, or for anyone purchasing a new rate plan? I'm going to upgrade our FamilyTalk plan when I upgrade my phone, and the 6230 is a great deal. So I'd be buying a new plan. Does that qualify me for the Amazon special offers?
Amazon doesn't offer the FamilyTalk plans. That's what I wanted to do too.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

You should get in contact with Amazon to see if they will still give you the rebate if you port your number through Cingular. Amazon used to have a page that clearly explained number porting, but I can't find it now. That could mean a change in your favor.

the non-porting thing is a problem...I have 10 years of contacts, some sporadic, but valuable. I'd rather pay the $200 than that.
You should get in contact with Amazon to see if they will still give you the rebate if you port your number through Cingular. Amazon used to have a page that clearly explained number porting, but I can't find it now. That could mean a change in your favor

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

You should get in contact with Amazon to see if they will still give you the rebate if you port your number through Cingular. Amazon used to have a page that clearly explained number porting, but I can't find it now. That could mean a change in your favor.

i will give them a call tomorrow.