Need a new bed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: cobalt
Originally posted by: JackOfHearts
Originally posted by: RoloMather
Don't do it. Get a regular mattress.

Have one hate it too....

Elaborate? Those that love it, what do you have?

Mine's a Serta of some sort. It was one of the very few my wife and I could agree on. I didn't think there was that big of a difference between a lot of them... largely a matter of finding what level of firmness you like.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Bit the bullet and orderd a queen size Bragada Crowne mattress... Should be here in a little over a week, will update with review. Thanks for all the help guys.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I use a regular mattress with a 2" (3"?) high-density memory foam topper. Works great for me.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Bit the bullet and orderd a queen size Bragada Crowne mattress... Should be here in a little over a week, will update with review. Thanks for all the help guys.

Please do!! I have one on order, but it will be at least 4 months before I have a chance to try it.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000

Where did you buy it from? My friend is looking for something similiar.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Go latex or some combination of latex and regular coil springs. It will give you the bounce you need when you need it. Memory foam binds you and holds you. Not so good for an "active" night.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: V00DOO

Where did you buy it from? My friend is looking for something similiar.

After reading some more I just cancelled the order as they have no return policy. That was an absolute no for me so time to do some more searching and reading. I hate being so indecisive.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: kalrith
I have a 4-inch memory-foam topper. For the first year or so, it was incredibly comfortable. Since then, it's lost a LOT of its firmness and support, and I often find it uncomfortable. For example, if I'm lying on my back, my butt will sink all the way through the mattress topper and be resting on the mattress itself. Then, if I roll over to my stomach, my midsection will be about 4 inches lower (because it's in the butt crevice formed from sleeping on my back) than my shoulders and legs, which is quite uncomfortable. Sometimes I'll get up to use the bathroom just so the memory foam has time to spring back to life, and then it's only somewhat as firm as it is at the start.

I have no clue if my experiences would transfer to a memory-foam mattress, but there's no way in the world that I would ever buy one. The way I see it, I could try out the mattress in the store and love it, and then after a year of using it I could absolutely hate it. I have a cheap, uncomfortable mattress right now and my wife likes the memory foam, or else I'd just get rid of it.

BTW, to curb any fat jokes, I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs.

Oh, I just remembered one more thing. The firmness changes with temperature. In the winter we sleep with the temperature being 55-60, and the topper is quite firm. During the summer we sleep with it 71, and the topper is not very firm.

Here's a link to the topper I use.

*******THis quote is one of the most important to consider when selecting a mattress. Not all brands are made equal (or last as long.) I'm aware of one institution that switched to all memory foam beds to eliminate pressure ulcers. The company manufacturing the mattresses wasn't the same as the brand being put on the bed. i.e. made in China or somewhere & stamped with another brand, with that company's blessings, and supposedly made to the same standards. Well, after a year or so, they started having a lot of the same problems you described. The company whose brand was on the mattress tested one of them, cut it in half, analyzed it, etc. Inferior quality, not up to the standards. 100's of 1000's of dollars involved.

I've been considering one, but will be incredibly careful about my purchase.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My progression was normal bed -> pillowtop -> memory foam. I will never go back to anything other than a memory foam. I've tried Sleep Number as well. Memory foam is the best. I have a knockoff Temperpedic (from Bob's Discount Furniture, the "Bob-O-Pedic") and it's ama-za-zing. Been using it for a couple years without any problems. Absolutely love it. Would highly recommend one. Get the spill guard sheet too, to protect it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaido
My progression was normal bed -> pillowtop -> memory foam. I will never go back to anything other than a memory foam. I've tried Sleep Number as well. Memory foam is the best. I have a knockoff Temperpedic (from Bob's Discount Furniture, the "Bob-O-Pedic") and it's ama-za-zing. Been using it for a couple years without any problems. Absolutely love it. Would highly recommend one. Get the spill guard sheet too, to protect it.

Wow, really? I have 2 co workers who went with the Temperpedic over the Bob. What was it about the Bob that made you buy it?

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaido

What specific Bob-O-Pedic did you choose (i.e. firm, plush, dual, etc.)? Has it shown signs of a decrease in support in high-pressure areas (i.e. the butt area) over the years? I'm asking, because I absolutely loved my 4" memory-foam topper for the first year, but since then the mid-section support is highly lacking, and I find it less comfortable than a good pillowtop mattress. I'd hate to spend $1k on a memory-foam mattress and have the same thing happen. I use a spillproof mattress pad with mine.