Question Need a MB recommendation

optimator

Dec 3, 2022
Hi all, first post here. I just ordered a 5800X3D. I'm putting together a machine primarily for racing sims. Can you guys suggest a MB? I want something good, but don't need to go overboard with anything I don't need. I'd prefer one with Wi-Fi and sound onboard, but it's not a deal killer if I need to add it. It might even be preferred to add it? Things have really changed since my last build. Thanks in advance.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Hi all, first post here. I just ordered a 5800X3D. I'm putting together a machine primarily for racing sims. Can you guys suggest a MB? I want something good, but don't need to go overboard with anything I don't need. I'd prefer one with Wi-Fi and sound onboard, but it's not a deal killer if I need to add it. It might even be preferred to add it? Things have really changed since my last build. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!
Any set budget?

I would propose a Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite ax
However, AM4 is very mature, so pick whatever that is on sale.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

optimator

Dec 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums!
Any set budget?

I would propose a Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite ax
However, AM4 is very mature, so pick whatever that is on sale.

Thank you, I’ll check that one out. I’m looking to keep it around $200. I was also looking at the ASUS TUF gaming X-570 plus Wi-Fi and the MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI. I’ve never used a Gigabyte board before, but that one looks pretty feature rich.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
prefer one with Wi-Fi and sound onboard
Sound is a given these days and has been for over a decade.

WIFI sometimes commands a premium but, can be added for ~$30 on your own but may take up a slot if you don't feel like putting in an M2 card and running antenna wires to the backplate and attaching the antennas.

For options / tech I would go with the ASRock Taichi but for price the MSI Tomahawk

If you take off the WIFI requirement then it opens up the options considerably and then you just add it yourself.

1670169520818.png

All 3 of these offer the E-key for adding an M2 WIFI card and from $124-$210 you have 3 options to pick from.

Now, the issue then lies in sometimes AMD systems don't like intel cards but, there's a new MTK card out that should be compatible.

Last edited:

optimator

Dec 3, 2022
And the more I think about this I’ll just run Ethernet under the house from the router and not even worry about Wi-Fi. I’ve just used my laptop for so long I just brain farted on that.

Reactions: Shmee

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Very true. But if I decide on a MB that doesn’t have it I can always add it or use my laptop.
There plenty of solutions to improving upon MOBO's that don't have everything you want on them or not willing to pay $1000 for a MOBO that has all of them.

For instance if you want to get into Thunderbolt there's no reason to over spend on a MOBO if you can add a TB card for $60 off Amazon. This also plays into AMD vs Intel as AMD traditionally doesn't support / have TB ports because of licensing / restrictions from Intel. It does look like there' s a handful of ASRock boards that have the header though now to put an AIC to add the functionality.

WIFI is an easy one to tackle though with an AIC or M2 + pigtails + antennas for under $50

2.5/5GE Ethernet is easy as well with tons of different card options

The basics and foundation features should be the focus. The best options for the dollar. Anything can be modified or added onto to fit a more specific requirement. Outsmarting the OEM and paying less is the goal usually or for those with an unlimited budget / ease of build they just throw cash at the problem instead of figuring it out.

With the latest tech / excluding a GPU you should be able to make a functional base system for right around $1000 that runs with top end features.