Need a dual band N router for use as access point

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
There are so many routers out there and I've read so many reviews and I'm more confused than ever. I need an N band wireless router for my larger ranch style home. I'm interested in one with pretty good range but it doesn't need to be 450MPS in speed. I was looking at the D Link 655 and the Linksys E4200 but not sure if I need that much router as the linksys. My needs are rather simple. Streaming video on occasion and just general use around the house. I can get an E4200 refurb for about $100 and the DLink 655 much cheaper than that. I would like gigabit capability but other than the I'm not too picky. Any suggestions for a good router to use as an access point that will be versatile and not obsolete in 6 months?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The E4200 refurb. with the stock firmware.

I.e., if you only want to use it as an AP do not flash with DD-WRT.

When it come to Simultaneous transfer the Wireless client matter.

I get the best result with Atheros AGN chipset.

:cool:

Last edited:

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I had the Netgear WNDR3700 for just over a year before it crapped out (unable to get an IP address). I was hoping to use it as a WAP but still didn't work on auto settings. Still hoping I can do so setting everything manually.

I also have a Trendnet Dual N that I am now using as my main router (due to the issues above). I am using with DD-WRT installed and it works just fine. I got it for the bargain price of $40. Makes the $140 I spent a year ago on the Netgear a waste of money. As an access point, it worked fine. The wireless signal on the Netgear was slightly stronger (20%) but as an AP the Trendnet was a perfect choice. For now, it will continue to be my main router as I have another "backup" router serving as an AP. I need a constant, wired, constant connection as I am currently working from home.

Don't listen to the naysayers, the Trendnet is a decent product, especially with DD-WRT installed.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
e4200 and wndr3700 are essentially the same. they suck. stick to 2.4ghz and rock 300 or 450 with about 840mw :) aka buffalo airstation.

Ride that out until the new macbook's with wi-gig (next gen wifi whatever the name du jour will be) come out later this year.

the buffalo with the buffalo firmware (as an AP) holds a 300mbit link all day long here. none of that dropping down to 150 after an hour and sticking there.

plus it can rock out to a paid for copy of dd-wrt if you need it to.free

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm going to see if I can pick up a used router off Ebay. I'll look for the ones you suggested.....

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I was considering purchasing a refurb E4200 V1 for about $100 from Cisco.

Does anyone have any input on the reliability of such refurbs once repaired? I guess I'm a little hesitant because I've read that Cisco support of the refurbs it sells is horrible if you have problems with it and only a 3 month warranty. Then if it's DOA they make you pay shipping to return it. Any comments on purchasing refurbished routers?