Need a birthday gift for my 50 yr old mom!

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Her birthday is coming up and for the love of god I can't think of anything to get her. No hobbies, chinese so she thinks everything is a waste of money, HELP! Looking around $300 or less.

UnderScore

Oct 9, 1999
- A photo-album with you making googaly faces :D

- An one day pass to a massage & relaxing spa

- A truthful honest no-strings attached "I love you Mom!"

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I can hear her now, "WHAT? You spent how much just for a massage?" Hehehe.. I like that photo album idea. Ah ha.... a family picture at a professional studio!

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I suppose Old Navy gift certificates are out of the question ;)

Get her something family oriented. Do you have a bunch of pictures. Can you get some together and make a framed collage? They even sell frames with a dozen pre-cut holes for different pics.

???

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Do something for her that doesn't cost money. Then she can't complain that it costed too much if it sucks.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
If she doesn't have it already, a nice CD player (or "boombox", depending on taste) and some favorite music CDs.

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get her a DDR GeFOrce and a couple of sticks of CAS2 Ram (well if she can't use it.....)

Seriously, how about something like a portrait of yourself (if you have brothers/sisters even better). It could be painted or a photo.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Hire someone to clean her house really good, or hire some guy to give her days worth of yard/handyman help around the house.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Tell her, "after much thought, I decided no to send you to the home".

That would be a shocking gift. ;)

No really, take her to the fairgrounds if there are young grandchildren or something. Have her play with the kids and let her enjoy herself. Don't let her get on the roller coasters or the scream machine. ;)

It would be better if the whole family can go.

co0lbean

Nov 3, 2000
My mom would want a stuff animal
However, give her like a Lalique maybe. Oh everyone like's the fish one, it has a asian touch

Never mind it's $1,000
But lalique does have some asian qualities that might appear to your chinese mother

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
First of all .. dont tell her how much you spent .. thats always bad form ... tell her any ammount of money is worth it to make her happy ...

okie .. get you a disposable camera ... and go around and take pictures of places that mean special things to your mother and you ... take a roll of these pictures ... then go by a scrapbook .. at walmart they are like 8 bucks and come with stickers and pretty paper to mount your photos on ... get the photos developed .. put them on the pages and print up words that go with each photo like the good memory the place brings back ... that way when ever she needs a pick me up she can go through her beautiful book and relive memories ...

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
My mom turned 50 a few years back and I bought her a Lladro piece.. For the uninformed Lladro is a company in Spain that hand crafts small ceramic statues. Top quality stuff. She collects them, and I found a piece that she would like for under $200. She loved it!

Any nicer department store (Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Rich's, Hecht's, etc) will sell them, it's just a pain tracking down a decent price since there is such a high markup on em.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Arrange a day long Spa visit for her. You know, one of those places that give you rub downs, facials... that type of thing. You set the date and arrange travel for her, or driver her yourself. Treat her real special. I promise you she will never forget it.

qacwac

Oct 12, 2000
Okay I am a horrible gift giver but I did good once.

Last Mother's day I went and bought a rose bush. I had wanted to plant it for her Saturday night but didn't get to. So I ended up finally getting it planted on Monday. Well she got home from church after a very emotional thing happened to her and she thought, "Somebody's been messing in my flower bed." And upon looking closer she realised that someone had planted a rose bush for her. Then she saw a letter attached to the rose bush. The letter basically went through Proverbs 31 and said how she fit "the virtuous woman" and that it was my job to praise her. She loved it.

So you don't have to spend alot. Just put your love and feelings into it and let her know that she's appreciated. That's all most moms want. To be appreciated for their life's dedication to their children. Well atleast that's all my mom wants. But she's a lot less superficial then most woman today.