Need a better point and shoot

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
I have a Canon Sx710 which I just got but im not happy with it the zoom is great but for what I'm using it for its not getting shots off fast enough there is alot of delay for whatever reason my old Sony doesn't even have this issue. Besides that issue I go to wrestling events and the action shots are often blurry. I can't get anything professional with a removable lens as these won't be allowed in alot of the events I want to know if there is something is the 300 to 600 range that will be good for these action shots it would be a plus if it had a decent zoom on it too but I know that can be hard to come by. Only other important features is WiFi and has to be compact, cant go bulky.

One I have had my eye on is the Sony RX100 II, like I said only issue is the zoom but I guess I might have to compromise with this if I want what I stated above.

I don't know too much about cameras so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I have a similar problem like you. I have a superzoom canon SX50 and a compact Sony RX100 II. The Panasonic FZ100 may fill your need, it's a big bridge camera though, not like a compact camera. It's much faster than your Canon or my Canon either in focus speed or delay between shots and a longer reach than the RX100 II. The other choice is the Sony RX10 or RX10 II, also bulkier than your current compact. A DSLR with a decent 300mm lens would be too bulky for certain situation or not even allowed.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Have you looked at the Canon GX7? It trades blows with the RX100 and has longer reach / brighter aperture throughout that reach (better for dim lighting).

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
i have the RX100 m1 and m4...fine for my needs, but zoom is indeed a limitation

Panasonic has a ZS100 coming out, same 1" sensor category but 25-250mm 10x zoom

slower lens, waiting for reviews to come out

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
Hi
The Panasonic ZS100 is apparently coming out sometime this month but I need this camera before I go away this month so I dont think that would work

I am currently looking at the Canon G7X or the Sony RX100 II

This is the price point im looking at and these seems like greatly quality cameras
my two issues one being the zoom, do you think its acceptable to to use cropping after the fact to get the desired closeness I want

Another thing that concerning about the Sony one is quality control, there seems to be a decent amount of hardware issues later on in some reviews

I am also concerned about dust getting on the sensor as I have had this issue with cameras before anything I can do to prevent this?

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
your local bestbuy should have rx100 IV and I on display, and probably the G7X as well
(I -> II = BSI sensor, wifi, hotshoe, tilt screen... but quality-wise, it's very similar)

go take a look

sony has clear-image zoom (you have to disable RAW... the camera digital extrapolates and gives you twice the zoom range). probably have something similar for the G7X, but I prefer RAW (can recover exposure problems easier)

Last edited:

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
Went to Best Buy today they had the cameras on display but not able to power on or play with any of them went from there to B&H Photo where I was able to play with both Sony and Canon reviews mentioned very little difference between the G7X and RX100 series besides some features that I wouldnt use anyway so based off playing with them both I think im going with the G7X based on better zoom and the touch screen features.

I will report back if this turns out to be good or not.