Need a 2.1 setup for around $300.

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by Leros, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Leros

Leros Lifer

I just bought a new tv (55" LG 55LM4600). I'm happy with the picture quality for the price, but the audio doesn't cut it.

I want a decent 2.1 or 3.1 setup. I'm currently looking at either floor standing 2.1 speakers or a sound bar. (I don't want to wall mount). The sound bars I'm looking at:

Sony HT-CT150 - $188
    - Seems to have really good reviews for the money
    - 3 HDMI pass throughs

Samsung HW-E450 - $267
    - 2 HDMI pass throughs

Any suggestions for a better setup within my price range?

#1 Leros, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - setup $300 Forum Date
    help me come up with a home theater setup Audio/Video & Home Theater May 14, 2017
    Need to make good use of my Logitech PC surround sound setup? Audio/Video & Home Theater Apr 7, 2017
    Any recommendations on speakers for smaller setups? (gaming) Audio/Video & Home Theater Mar 20, 2017
    Need some assistance with system setup Audio/Video & Home Theater Jan 26, 2017
    $300 budget audio for HTPC: Vizio 5.1 soundbar or Monoprice 5.1? Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 30, 2015

3. Leros

Leros Lifer

What about using something like this as a 3.1 setup?

Onkyo SKS-HT870 $399 on Amazon

4. vshah

vshah Lifer

5. Leros

Leros Lifer

That seems reasonable. I assume those sorts of bookshelf speakers would need to go on a stand to be ear level?

6. vshah

vshah Lifer

yes, you can find a set of 24" stands for pretty cheap, or build your own!

7. Leros

Leros Lifer

Sounds good. I see plenty of speaker stands that will do the trick.

Let's say I wanted to spend a bit more than the $300 I originally planned on, say $500 total. What would be the best improvement? Slightly better bookshelf speakers? A center channel?

I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks more and do it right than skimp out on my initial setup and be disappointed. That being said, I'm not an audiophile. Perhaps what you posted above is good enough?

#6 Leros, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  8. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Listed receiver, Polk Monitor 30 or 40 caught on sale at newegg. For a sub either the 12" Polk for music or BiC F12 for home theater. The matching center can be added down the line for $50 or $100 depending on which you go with. The listed Pioneers are very good speakers for the money.

I had that Sony soundbar for a couple years before upgrading to true speakers. It's certainly an improvement over TV speakers and thought the sound was pretty good until I got actual quality speakers. If you don't have room for real speakers it's a decent option but since you do skip it and get some speakers.

9. vshah

vshah Lifer

i would probably upgrade the receiver first. a better receiver such as this one:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

has one killer feature: Audyssey MultEQ automatic room measurement and equalization. this will serve you VERY well if you ever decide to upgrade your speakers down the line.

it also has lots of other nice stuff like network connectivity and all the stuff that comes with it (pandora, spotify, smartphone control, airplay)

10. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

If you can live without the network stuff you can get the same functionality with MutliEQ for $50 less with the previous model the 1612. I've got one a love it. But with his budget thought it was to much to spend on a receiver leaving little for the speakers and sub.

11. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

If I only use a 2.1 or 3.1 speaker setup with a 5.1 receiver is there a way that you can set it up so that it simulates 5.1 surround?

My room is much too small for a 5.1 setup.

12. vshah

vshah Lifer

also it's unfortunately out of stock. but my friend was able to grab one after signing up for email notifications.

i'd make the argument that since the speakers are budget models, he's more likely to upgrade those in the future than the 1612 or 1613, which could last him a long time. 3 years down the line when he wants to spend a few hundred on upgrades, he'll be well positioned to get better speakers.

#11 vshah, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. vshah

vshah Lifer

what the receiver will do is downmix the 5.1 channels to 3.1 or 2.1 so you aren't missing out on any audio from the 5.1 track.

14. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Is room correction even useful if you're running 2 or 2.1? My opinion is it isn't but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong :p

For me, as long as you have a half decent amp always dump money into better speakers.

15. vshah

vshah Lifer

yes, very useful. room correction does a few things

- sets speaker distances/delays so sound arrives at the listening position at the same time
    - sets levels so that volume of sound from each speaker is the same at the listening position
    -for each speaker, runs a frequency sweep and creates custom equalization filters to smooth out the frequency response at the listening position.

regardless of your setup, the last part there can be very useful. say there's a null around 80hz at your listening position due to room modes. that frequency range is crucial for dialog, and audyssey would be able to correct for that. number of speakers really doesn't come into play - it's ALWAYS useful.

16. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

I suppose that may be worthwhile. Call me a traditionalist I guess. My stereo receiver has zero ICs in it and I like it that way.