NEC 4X DVD+R/RW @AVlogic.com $163.00

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Ripped from f@twallet props to Grayson73 OP

Shipping is a bit steep at $10-$15 for ground, still under what Newegg is charging. The newegg customer reviews for the drive are all positive, apparently these drives in DELL machines have caused DELL customers problems... caveat emptor.

I couldn't resist

Product

Reseller Rating for AVLogic

BiGNuTz

Dec 10, 2000
what do u mean prices are dropping? dropping from what? the price is still the same as the title of the post, $163.

htne

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2001
I believe that he meant, "The prices of DVD recorders as a category are dropping."

And that is a true statement.

TurboMan

Feb 17, 2002
Stay away from this drive!! Bought one about a month ago. It does not support bitsetting changes. NEC says there will be NO firmware upgrades to allow it to. So I am stuck. Last NEC product I will buy. Wish'd I bought a Sony, or .....

TurboMan

Feb 17, 2002
What does the bitsetting do for you ?
Allows you to trick a DVD player into thinking it is playing a different kind of media. For instance,some DVD players have problems playing DVD+R and DVD+RW disks. Using a bitsetting utility you can alter the control bits that trick the player into thinking it is a DVD-rom instead. It dosen't bother me so much that it currently does not support it but NEC has come out and said it will not release firmware to allow this. Other manufacturers are releasing updated firmware to do this.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
It goes without saying, do your research before buying. I've been hungering for a DVD drive since I bought my ReplayTv. I could not resist. I'll probably upgrade and sell this one off in the future. I've heard a bit about some very competitvely priced Lite-on's coming out in a month or so.

TurboMan

Feb 17, 2002
It goes without saying, do your research before buying
The sad part is I did. I had read that firmware would be released for this drive. The HP 300 (model # I think) is a rebagged NEC 1100 and that one has the ability to change bitsettings.

Belzer

Mar 10, 2003
At least the non-Dell version burns DVD+R as DVD-ROM book type so if you didn't get the DVD+R media to work you must have made something wrong or maybe your DVD player doesn't play burnt DVDs at all. The ability to change book type for DVD+RW would be a nice feature but I have not had any problems with playback on the DVD players I have tested so I don't really care.

Madcowz

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2000
Never mind set-top video dvd players... how compatible is this with most DVD-ROM drives? If I burn a DVD+R/W will it most likely work on my laptop DVD-ROM or my friends DVD-ROM drive?

dlaw

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2001
Originally posted by: htne
I believe that he meant, "The prices of DVD recorders as a category are dropping."

And that is a true statement.

Hope they are as cheap as CDRW drives soon. :D

Belzer

Mar 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Madcowz
Never mind set-top video dvd players... how compatible is this with most DVD-ROM drives? If I burn a DVD+R/W will it most likely work on my laptop DVD-ROM or my friends DVD-ROM drive?

If the DVD-ROMs are no crappy Panasonics (Matsushita/Matshita) then most work. Panasonic seems to intentionally block DVD+RW from reading in its players... You'll find a compability list here.