Nebraska 500 vintage Chevy car auction 28-29 Sept

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OutHouse, Jul 24, 2013.

1. OutHouse

OutHouse Lifer

holy crap.

i just may have to take a road trip to check this out. I would love to have a 60's chevy pickup.

http://hooniverse.com/2013/06/30/on...t-company-with-500-vehicles-going-to-auction/

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/135/documents/Inventory.pdf

[​IMG]

#1 OutHouse, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Cars look like junk. Wow, 2 miles on the odometer...and it's rotted out.

3. JMapleton

JMapleton Diamond Member

Makes you wonder why the dealer sat on these cars for all those years. And where they stored 500 cars.

4. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

One of the comments said some were outside.

On closer inspection, the condition is definitely widely-varied. Hard to tell because of all the dirt on them. But some look like they might be rust-free, where as others are bad enough to have rust in the door skins. Which is pretty bad...quarters and fenders usually go first. I'm guessing they sat outside, the drain holes plugged, and the doors filled with water. Which means the cowls and other potential water traps are probably rotted, too.

It would be a nice score to find a rare, complete car; but people are acting like you're just going to polish one of those things up and have a cherry car with no work.

I'm most curious about how the interiors held up. Some LOOK good, but the upholstery might be hard as a rock. Also what the motors and transmissions are like.

5. SyndromeOCZ

SyndromeOCZ Senior member

It would be very interesting to see how some of these cars sell and what the new owners do with them, like seeing the restoration threads. ;) :D

6. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

7. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

8. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

9. OutHouse

OutHouse Lifer

Anybody watch this auction on the history channel hosted by the top gear guys? Its called wheels of fortune. 1958 cameo pickup sold for 140k

#9 OutHouse, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. twinrider1

twinrider1 Diamond Member

[​IMG]
    Such a great movie.

11. MagickMan

MagickMan Diamond Member

It's about the pedigree, since the massive find has become a world sensation in the news, the cars are going to be worth many times more than normal. It's like that with other collectibles too (like comic books and sports memorabilia), examples from a specific collection are more historically significant and they'll always have a higher value, despite their relative condition.

12. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

Saw rusted out pieces of crap that need full restorations from the ground up, every piece of rubber gone, seats consumed by vines, engine bays damaged because trees growing through for $40,000. People looking for unmolested drivers were shut out by collectors. It's a shame since half these cars will never sell for as much as were bought. And a lot will be chopped into hot rods, etc. It's just funny to me that you can buy a C-10 for $5,000 in running condition with no rust but at this auction a completely rotted out one that needs $40,000 in work to restore would go for $30,000. If your whole plan is to buy one to put a plaque in the window to say it's from the Lambrecht collection, it's wonderful. But if you love old cars, it's too bad.

13. Cepak

Cepak Golden Member

Two 1963 Chevy Corvair coupes sold for $43,000 and $40,000. I have a '63 Corvair convertible that runs great and looks a thousand times better and I seriously doubt I'd ever get $10,000 for it.

All I've got to say is what have these people been smoking?