Neat: Aircraft carrier U.S.S. Carl Vinson to produce 200,000 gallons/day for Haitians

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by yllus, Jan 18, 2010.

1. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

A little while ago we had a thread that discussed cutbacks to the U.S. Navy, including the retirement of currently active aircraft carriers. While that still remains an intelligent fiscal decision as far as many are concerned, it's interesting to see highlighted in the article below one of the ways that the military machine of the United States can provide aid and comfort when and where it's needed the most.

The Post-Quake Water Crisis: Getting Seawater to the Haitians

2. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

That's pretty cool!

These poor bastards need all the fresh water they can get.

3. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Elite Member

That's awesome. Cool to see that the expensive military equipment needed to keep us safe from governments who wish to do us harm can also be used to do good for people in desperate need....

4. Malfeas

Malfeas Senior member

Those are going to be some stinky sailors in a week, the only way to give away that much water is to ration it among the crew. But it is a stink for a good cause.

5. Fear No Evil

Fear No Evil Diamond Member

And all that 'free' water is brought to you by nuclear power. Imagine if we built more nuke plants here at home a lot of places like Kalifornia could pull less water from rivers and such.

6. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Elite Member

I've always wondered about that, why they don't build massive desalination plants on platforms out on the ocean and then pipe the water to the mainland. No more dependence on rivers etc for irrigation or drinking water etc. Seems like a good idea, but I'm sure there are problems with it or it would have been done already.

7. Carmen813

Carmen813 Diamond Member

Probably NIMBY concerns.

8. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

I believe it would require massive amounts of power to meet the needs of California. It would probably be fantastically expensive to do so. Solar desalination would probably be cheaper per gallon, but even then $$$

9. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

The main reasons we don't get more water out of rivers, etc is due to environmental concerns and desalination plants have their own environmental issues.

10. cwjerome

cwjerome Diamond Member

Fostering goodwill and stability is an important US military function, especially in today's "smart power" scenario. And this is just another demonstration that for all their power to destroy, military forces are uniquely suited to respond to such crises.

As a matter of fact, military forces worldwide have mobilized to respond to the earthquake. I know Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Japan, the Netherlands and Spain, are sending aid and military personnel. I think Italy is sending a (their only?) carrier.

Kuddos to the Carl Vinson... good thread.

11. palehorse

palehorse Lifer

Good shit! :thumbsup:

12. alphatarget1

alphatarget1 Diamond Member

13. MotF Bane

MotF Bane No Lifer

They have four distilleries that produce 100,000 per day each. They state in the article a couple times it is excess water. Also, the Vinson doesn't need much steam power right now.

14. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

My company recently shipped some equipment to CVN-70.

Didn't some folks have a fit when an aircraft carrier was sent to help out with a certain tsunami?

15. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

You REALLY do not want to drink that crap they pour into the ocean near California.

16. Schadenfroh

Schadenfroh Elite Member

Glad to see the excess water is being put to good use:thumbsup;

(typical conspiracy theorist)
    But, did they taint the water with fluoride?

Anyone live near a desalination plant and could tell us how badly they impact the local environment? Hell, they could surround my city with nuclear plants for all I care. I already live within about a 40-minute drive of a nuclear weapons "factory." So, I am gone if one of those puppies goes off.

If the ocean is so polluted near California, why not allow off-shore drilling?

17. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

Desalination of water has always seemed to me like ultimate tech. Just think what it would do for poor African countries if water was cheap.

That our government can do it easily, and has done it since WWII, apparently, just pisses me off.

The same way that, of course, cheap, clean, Nuclear Power, delivers, desalinated water.

-John {laughing at the above poster that wants to desalinate water with solar energy}

18. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

It's boiled water. Jaskalas. Do you think it is more than that?

-John

19. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

Ships with nuclear power plants that can fly jets off them. Most awesome machines ever.

20. Jiggz

Jiggz Diamond Member

If we do this in excessive amount it can result in environmental disaster to marine life. Too much sea water distillation results in higher salt contents in sea water which can adversely affect marine life.

21. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

It's always been too expensive/no one has been able to do it.

Nuclear Power allows it to be done, but, we all know America's acceptance of Nuclear Power. Meanwhile, the military, uses Nuclear Power (since day one), and reaps its benefits.

So, I am fine with stealing everything an ocean has to offer, killing bunches of fishes (does this remind you of anything?) for getting virtually unlimited, cheap, water.

-John

#21 Zorkorist, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  22. Hacp

Hacp Lifer

What is this fuel source? Its clean, cheap, and plentiful? Nuclear Power? Blasphemy. Even if its good enough for the US military, it sure ain't good enough for US civilians!

23. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

Nuclear Power plants use a relatively small amount of water, and re-use the water over and over again. It's the difference between cold water, and hot water that produces energy.

I'm sure that the loss of XYZ salt-water will be made up for by people pissing in the neighborhood pool.

-John

24. Zorkorist

Zorkorist Diamond Member

Er, I should say, hot water produces energy... the bi-product is cold water.

If cold-water scares you... ;)

Nothing heats water like Nuclear Energy plants. Not coal-fired fires (do you realize this is what people think is "clean" today?), not solar, not wind-farms, etc.

If you want to heat water, and derive energy (to do things like desalinate water) Nuclear Power is where it is at.

-John

25. 3chordcharlie

3chordcharlie Diamond Member

200,000 gallons is enough drinking water for 200,000+ people under a disaster scenario. For normal household usage, it is essentially nothing. Probably two orders of magnitude too little for a city the same size.