NE1 watching Howard Dean getting his a$$ ripped by Tim Russert on Meet the Press??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good gawd, he is looking bad. I've never seen Tim rip into someone like that before.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Nah. I'm watching Washington Week on PBS at the moment discussing the WMD, or lack there of, issue. The major networks and cable seem to try to sensationalize a bit for my liking.. :)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Yes, I saw it. Not sure where Russert was coming from, seemed like he was badgering Dean at times. Russert also seemed to have a comprehension problem today, or maybe he just wasn't listening. For example, Dean tried to express his concerns that our military would not remain the most powerful in the world if the rest of the world unites their forces against us. Dean was explaining why it was vital to work with other countries; Russert kept trying to interpret it as a an announcement that Dean was defense spending.

Russert also seemed to struggle with the concept of states' rights. Dean answered several questions by saying that he felt it was an issue that should be regulated at the state level. Two examples I remember are gun control and gay marriage. Russert didn't seem to get this, persisting with "Yes, but what would President Dean do" or "Are you saying that you ..." questions.

In fairness to Russert, Dean wasn't terribly articulate. Better than Dubya, but not nearly as smooth as Clinton.

All in all, I came away with a somewhat positive impression of Dean. I know nothing of his background and track record yet, but he seems to have sensible ideas. In part, he has positioned himself as the sole outside-the-beltway candidate, so it's easy to look good at first. Everyone else is tainted with D.C. baggage.