NE governors discuss plan to re-open

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
They did this in response to Trump's tweet stating that he and only HE has the authority to open the economy. Not local governments, but only the federal government has the authority. That is a lie, but my guess is it made the NE states a little worried maybe?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think other states will latch onto these efforts given the total lack of federal direction. Nevada almost certainly and possibly Arizona , New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah for the...I dunno what to call this maybe "Western Coalition".
But shsh, don't let Idaho in.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump could play hardball though. And, withhold emergency funding.

Threatening TX funding in the run up to an election where he doesn't boast a robust positive approval in the state would be an extraordinarily unwise decision. Cornyn would be over at the WH in a nanosecond.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well in Texas’s case our local county judges have enormous powers when it comes to emergencies. While Governor Abbott might want to open the whole state if the judges that preside over Houston, Dallas, etc say we are closed we still stay closed, if I remember correctly.

I can't imagine Austin even entertaining the idea... and it's the capital!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I can't imagine Austin even entertaining the idea... and it's the capital!

The stay home order was supposed to expire tonight but the mayor has already said he's going to extend it. I'd expect it to last at least thru April and major restrictions on gatherings/businesses/masks etc to still be in effect thereafter. They very wisely canceled SXSW which probably spared the area a much more severe outbreak. Area hospitals are still well under capacity and they want to keep it that way.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is the thing the 'reopen the economy!' people don't understand - the public health emergency and the economy are really two parts of the same problem. If you stopped the closures tomorrow you would get SOME customers to those businesses, but tons would still stay away out of fear of infection so in the end you most likely get a ton more sick people and those places STILL go out of business.

Yeah...Its not just when the virus subsidies kick in, that could take months. There could be a massive drop on consumption due to all the layoffs and cut hours. It may very well take years for employment to pick back up. Rebuilding the economy itself is going to be a major, semi-long-term task.

Using the restaurant/bar industry example: You can't underestimate the social aspects of restaurants/bars. There will be pent up demand. The critical point is whether there will be the money to go with that demand.

But... the shelter in place policies could have effects, which will be negative for the restaurant business:

Teach a lot of people who don't cook for themselves to start doing so. People will also see that they are saving a lot of money doing this. Teach a lot of people who eat a higher proportion of restaurant food to do without, even if they just switch to Lean Cuisine etc.-They'll save money doing this too. Encourage people to enjoy their restaurant food at home instead of going out or find more or less equivalent substitutes such as pre-made meals and meal kits.

The Plague is going to have a lot of cultural effects, some good, some bad. Teaching people to prepare their own food is probably a good shift in terms of public health and wellness, but it could be a devastating blow to the restaurant industry. Especially in the shorter term.

A friend of mine fully expects that his company will go under. He has an unique small business where they primarily build museum exhibits, trade show displays and the like. Nobody is going to museums or trade shows right now, nor are museums and such going to be seeking new exhibits anytime soon.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think it's still too early, we need to keep the trend going until we've ruled out a 2nd wave. I'm all for having plans though. I'd like to see things going better in NY and MI before they start spending serious time on the whole 're opening' concept. They never really got the 'close down' right.

Jersey is 100% northeast, yes. As someone who grew up in Philly, eastern Pennsylvania is also very much a northeastern state in both economy and culture. I remember when I first moved to NYC how much it reminded me of Philly in a lot of parts. The middle and west of Pennsylvania, not so much. Since Eastern PA has dominated the state for so long though, we dragged the rest of those Sheetz loving assholes with us. Wawa forever!

Delaware isn't usually considered part of the northeast from my experience. Really though, Delaware doesn't come up often enough in conversation to make figuring it out worthwhile.

Can anyone say with a straight face that they think if Trump were faced with a situation where a state would suffer but it would make him more likely to be re-elected that he wouldn't do the thing to help himself get re-elected?

Hope you been payin in cash...

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Northeast coalition has announced that Gov. Baker will join them and add Mass.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Guess who is going to have little or no authority into doing any of this?

These total fucking clowns:

View attachment 19565
YGTBFK.

Don't know who Media ITE is but...

"The current members of the council to “re-open America” include Mark Meadows, Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Steven Mnuchin, Larry Kudlow, Robert Lighthizer, and Wilbur Ross, none of whom are experts in medicine, science, or public health. Several members of this team have come under fire for making statements about the coronavirus outbreak which have proved to be far from prescient. Ross, on Jan. 30, said that the pandemic would bring jobs back to the U.S. And on March 6, Kudlow said the virus was “contained.” Those two men, along with the commander-in-chief’s daughter and son-in-law, will comprise a majority of the group charged with what Trump himself has termed the “most important decision” of his presidency — the call to determine when America will reopen. "

This is truly the magnificent seven.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
New daily cases need to be well below 100 to reopen. We are at 30K new daily cases now.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
New daily cases need to be well below 100 to reopen. We are at 30K new daily cases now.
I'm seeing a plateau at best in the New York, and surrounding states, so "only" maintaining a couple thou a day. People this is going to take a while.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I'm seeing a plateau at best in the New York, and surrounding states, so "only" maintaining a couple thou a day. People this is going to take a while.
It's all wishful thinking. I don't think the US has the organizational capacity or health systems in place to control this nationwide. This is going to be a slow motion train wreck until the vaccine, which might not happen for years.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Do you have any data on that? I'm am really curious what the minimum new infection rate needs to be to begin loosening restrictions.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Good. Same concept of them coordinating their shutdowns. Cuomo didn't want NY'ers driving over to CT and getting sloshed at bars that were still open and then driving back to NY. Everyone shuts down together. Everyone opens up together. It's such a densely packed area that state lines are almost arbitrary from a travel standpoint.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's all wishful thinking. I don't think the US has the organizational capacity or health systems in place to control this nationwide. This is going to be a slow motion train wreck until the vaccine, which might not happen for years.

Yeah...Comprehensive testing should returns a very low positive rates, then you track and identify cases individually and quarantine the sick people and implement social distancing rules and curfews on a local basis. You have to continually monitor the population for outbreaks and be ready to lock things down quickly.

Hospitals in the state must be able to safely treat all patients requiring hospitalization, without resorting to crisis standards of care. A state needs to be able to at least test everyone who has symptoms. The state is able to conduct monitoring of confirmed cases and contacts.. etc.

The thing is, to get people to follow a plan, hopefully the leadership shown by these governors leads to a good plan that people will follow. So far, collectively in the US, there hasn't been. All there's been is "Let's all hold our breath until it goes away or we pass out, and hopefully we won't pass out". With a "plan" like that, of course compliance has been poor.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Do you have any data on that? I'm am really curious what the minimum new infection rate needs to be to begin loosening restrictions.
It has to be in a range that we can track down all contacts with traditional public health efforts. We know we couldn't do it in February with even a handful of cases because this thing exploded. Maybe with better testing available and more precautions taken, we can manage low hundreds, but not thousands.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah...Comprehensive testing should returns a very low positive rates, then you track and identify cases individually and quarantine the sick people and implement social distancing rules and curfews on a local basis. You have to continually monitor the population for outbreaks and be ready to lock things down quickly.

Hospitals in the state must be able to safely treat all patients requiring hospitalization, without resorting to crisis standards of care. A state needs to be able to at least test everyone who has symptoms. The state is able to conduct monitoring of confirmed cases and contacts.. etc.

The thing is, to get people to follow a plan, hopefully the leadership shown by these governors leads to a good plan that people will follow. So far, collectively in the US, there hasn't been. All there's been is "Let's all hold our breath until it goes away or we pass out, and hopefully we won't pass out". With a "plan" like that, of course compliance has been poor.

You have to also think about who is going to be the high hanging fruit. Poor young people, who are:
1. More likely to work "essential" jobs, more likely to get COVID-19.
2. If they do get it, they are less likely to have symptoms, less likely to get sick and be diagnosed and contact traced at all.
3. If they do get symptoms, they are less likely to have health insurance, and seek care before they are well into their illness and have infected most of whom they would infect.
4. More likely to have no savings and need to keep working to pay bills, unlikely to self-isolate until diagnosed and ordered to do so.
5. More likely to have social interaction with roommates, coworkers, etc and spread disease.

I just don't see us getting a handle on this to the extent needed to restore a semblance of normal life. We basically have to pray for a vaccine at this point.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I can see how Cuomo's comments are going to start triggering false info on conservative sites.

He is basically trying to get neighboring states to States to get in the mindset of coordinating planning.
Basically....state borders are bullshit in the eyes of pandemics and that planning should be a coordinated effort.
Can't have New Jersey opening up the flood gates if NY is still seeing a high number of cases or the same with Connecticut and Mass.
Since planning is the toughest part and they need to start establishing protocols, procedures etc etc, now is a good time as ever to start "the conversation".

Yea. What can we call him? Acting President?

Feb 16, 2005
If only there were some sort of governing body that could help coordinate interstate activity and planning.
Shame no one ever thought about that....
that's only a backup, never meant to be something they could lean on unless they've tried other things first...
god, I fucking hate trump.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
YGTBFK.

Don't know who Media ITE is but...

"The current members of the council to “re-open America” include Mark Meadows, Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Steven Mnuchin, Larry Kudlow, Robert Lighthizer, and Wilbur Ross, none of whom are experts in medicine, science, or public health. Several members of this team have come under fire for making statements about the coronavirus outbreak which have proved to be far from prescient. Ross, on Jan. 30, said that the pandemic would bring jobs back to the U.S. And on March 6, Kudlow said the virus was “contained.” Those two men, along with the commander-in-chief’s daughter and son-in-law, will comprise a majority of the group charged with what Trump himself has termed the “most important decision” of his presidency — the call to determine when America will reopen. "

This is truly the magnificent seven.
Mediaite was founded by Dan Abrams. Good guy.