NCQ/SATA2 + Crosfire getting new motherboard.

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
Hello,

I'm planning on getting a new system. I'd like it to support AMD2 x2
I'd want it to support crossfire - (i will consider SLI though)
I'd like it to support NCQ
I want at least 8 USB ports
I'd like as many slots on the motherboard as possible for cards.

I thought SATA2 was NCQ but maybe I'm wrong (I frequently am) I see the MSI board says SATA2 but it doesn't mention NCQ.

Thanks for your help

mamisano

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2000
No need for NCQ unless you are using the system as a file server with multiple users accessing the drive. NCQ hurts performance in a standard desktop environment.... just an FYI :)

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
I think the AT8 only will have 4 usb ports and 2 slots but I could be mistaken.

I will be adding
internal sound card
an internal SCSI controller
an internal fax modem
an extra network controller

I currently have 7 USB devices and would prefer to connect them directly instead of using a hub

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
4 USB ports on the I/O panel & 2 headers which should each power another 2 ports=8 in total
slots:
- 2 x PCI Express X16
- 2 x PCI Express X1
- 2 x PCI slots

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
"& 2 headers which should each power another 2 ports=8 in total "

Thanks - I want to make sure I know what that means. I prefer all the USB ports on the back of my PC believe it or not. Is it possilbe to get a usb blade/slot cover for these additonal ports?

Also - not sure about the new motherboards. I have a spare Compucase 6A19 - will the newer crossfire boards fit in those or do they require a different type of case? http://www.hecgroupusa.com/case_one.php?id=12

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: boe
"& 2 headers which should each power another 2 ports=8 in total "

Thanks - I want to make sure I know what that means. I prefer all the USB ports on the back of my PC believe it or not. Is it possilbe to get a usb blade/slot cover for these additonal ports?
The norm would be for it to come with 1 PCI cover plate with 2 USB & Firewire ports (that would give you 6 USB on the rear) leaving 1 header that most people use for front USB on their case.
You can normally buy spare generic rear USB plates though (at least in the UK) ifyou need another.

Also - not sure about the new motherboards. I have a spare Compucase 6A19 - will the newer crossfire boards fit in those or do they require a different type of case? http://www.hecgroupusa.com/case_one.php?id=12
They are standard ATX so should fit fine.

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
Thanks!

I just looked at the manual - when two cards are in it - you have virtually no space for other cards.

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
I appreciate the response.

I think it is time for them to consider a new motherboard size or format.