NBC News article predicting HDTV prices for Black Friday

Discussion in 'Black Friday 2012' started by DrPizza, Oct 20, 2012.

1. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/g...tvs-cost-black-friday-lot-less-says-1C6577380

Personally, I'm pretty happy to see this, but wonder if it isn't maybe a little too wishful?

2. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

A 60" name brand 1080p plasma for $599? Yeah, I'd say they're being a bit optimistic.

3. DrPizza

Administrator

We got a 50" brand name plasma for $499 last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it wasn't even a Black Friday deal. I'm still torn between plasma and LCD LED. LCD is lighter, lower power consumption (neither of which concern me; I'll have a bowl of wheaties the day I mount it on the wall), but plasma supposedly still wins (slightly) in picture, and viewing angle. At a glance, Cnet says get plasma, PCmag says get LED LCD. LED LCD is cheaper in the long run, due to electricity costs over its lifetime.

#3 DrPizza, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

i work partly as a tv repair guy, and after seeing the guts of all the types of tv's i definitely like LED LCD the best. the amount of crap inside plasma tv's is astonishing, they are very intricate machines. which means a lot can go wrong and does.

the newer led lcd's are so simple its almost funny. no inverter boards, and small power supplies running one small mainboard. so simple, so robust. the only thing that really goes wrong is the panel itself, and thats rare.

5. boom314

boom314 Senior member

I just bought a 42" LG on woot for $370. I would have loved to wait for a Black Friday deal, but I needed a new TV. I will probably buy a larger one then as well.

6. djnsmith7

djnsmith7 Platinum Member

Regarding the last item on your list, Fry's had the 70" Sharp LED on sale last year for $1499. I remember Sears had the same model on sale for $1999. Regular price at the time was around $2800.

Wonder if Vizio's 70" will be out by BF.

#6 djnsmith7, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  7. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I got my mom a 32 inch brand name for 200 last year so thats really not a massive improvement. I dont think I need to buy her anything more than I already have, a day at a spa.

8. DrPizza

Administrator

If you read the whole article, the point they're making is that there won't be great deals on the smaller televisions; those are selling quite well. They expect the deals on the larger end, because there seems to be a surplus of stock.

9. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

50" 1080 plasma for under $500? sign me up.

probably not an ST50 though. :( probably an LG "Zenith" branded set that's nearly a perfect mirror.

10. nusyo

nusyo Member

I don't know if it's only me, but every time I try to watch a plasma tv, i can see the refresh rate (like the old crt) especially if you look at something that's close or next to the tv and not at the tv directly... I am not sure if it makes any sense.

Now led is another story...

I was just wondering if I am the only one who can't stand plasmas.

11. DrPizza

Administrator

30% less in one year isn't a massive improvement??? (Not to mention, there are now a couple deals under $100)

12. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

Frys currently has a "major name brand" 60" 1080P plasma for $799 so $599 seems doable for Black Friday. I am assuming it is a plasma because "600Hz clear picture" is listed as a feature.

-KeithP

13. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

Yeah... that Sears deal for $99 32 inch TV's is insane. I wonder what brand names they'll have?

14. mikeford

mikeford Diamond Member

Less concern over brand as how many, a couple per store etc.