NBA players voting to end the season in solidarity with Jacob Blake

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
*tear drips from eye*

Yes, it's amazing how much we have accomplished. Such amazing people.... sitting there silently...
Mission accomplished.

Someone (you) who doesn't care about sports or the social injustices going on right now is talking about it.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I’ve skimmed through this thread so I am not sure.

Has anybody said good on you to the NBA and now the MLB for taking a stand, bringing attention and making us talk about racism?
Yeah, I'll do that right now. Good on the NBA and MLB. I like what I've seen and heard from them. Not sure about not cancelling the season, but that's up to them, they voted. They are entitled to their opinions and feelings and a great measure of sovereignty in determining what they do under these exceptional conditions.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
It tells me this country has had irreparable harm done to it. And I fear the only way forward is after we have tired of the bloodshed. Which, based on human track records, could take centuries after we violently fracture as our base tribalism is wont to do. I see a disastrous path before us, and I cannot imagine we have a way out. Not with human nature being what it is.

What is occurring now is merely a formality. A choosing of sides.

But you may yet be blinded to the seriousness of it all - so I will attempt to illustrate. You see these athletes as protesting "violent, unaccountable police". An act in favor of civil rights. You are proud of them, who wouldn't be? Conservatives see them honoring a terrorist organization (#BLM) that has brought riots, violence, looting, and shootings to our streets. That has ruined lives and businesses. Fanning flames that keep burning each night. They are seen as favoring civil unrest.

And so our nation's fracture grows wider with even deeper divisions. There is no commonality, no understanding. Just a painting of each other with the other's narrative. Villain we shout at each other. Madness abounds as we descend into chaos.

While I agree with what you've said, you've left off a key point to the issue. A significant portion of America is building their opinions based on ideology and manipulating, cherry picking, or more and more inventing facts and events to build support for their perspectives, and then pretending that these opinions are equal to those built on representative facts and expert knowledge.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For those who have said the NBA isn't really doing anything, I give you this...

While Trump is trying to disenfranchise the vote the NBA is giving up their arenas to allow more voters

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In fact, I'm MORE likely to watch NASCAR with their change. My kids love car races, not having to explain yet another symbol of racism is kinda nice.

yeah, that's what these little bitches don't understand. They are the fucking minority in this world, these racist cvnts. Removing their pride from their sports leagues actually increases their potential audience. Showing the rest of the world that they actually care about, you know, humans, is beneficial to these leagues.

You can see the racists, and they are open and loud about it, because this shit makes them angry. They won't tell you that it's because of their blatant racism, but it is. It just fucking is. There is no other logic to their slobbering ranting: "Hahahah! I don't even watch your stupid sport so why are you doing this stupid thing that I have called virtue signaling which doesn't mean anything but IT SOUNDS COOOOOL! hahahha you dumb libtard bastards I won't watch your sport that I never watched anyway because I don't even know what sport it is but it's because I'm now calling you racist for pointing out racism and hahahahah look at the idiots support this nonsense hahahha! you're all big dummies! watch me continue to not watch the thing that I never watched and CLEARLY don't care about--and NEVER HAVE!--as I make like, 57 posts about it in one day!"

etc

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
I have no idea what not playing basketball does to solve anything, except ultimately make people less interested in basketball, but whatever floats their boat. Maybe for their next trick they'll do something about actual problems that plague the black community instead of media-created ones.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have no idea what not playing basketball does to solve anything, except ultimately make people less interested in basketball, but whatever floats their boat. Maybe for their next trick they'll do something about actual problems that plague the black community instead of media-created ones.

Many players are involved in the community. Your post seems to indicate you're not aware of this, just thought you may want to look it up.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Ignorance is bliss! God forbid you should do some basic research before you make such a declarative statement.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yeah, that's what these little bitches don't understand. They are the fucking minority in this world, these racist cvnts. Removing their pride from their sports leagues actually increases their potential audience. Showing the rest of the world that they actually care about, you know, humans, is beneficial to these leagues.

You can see the racists, and they are open and loud about it, because this shit makes them angry. They won't tell you that it's because of their blatant racism, but it is. It just fucking is. There is no other logic to their slobbering ranting: "Hahahah! I don't even watch your stupid sport so why are you doing this stupid thing that I have called virtue signaling which doesn't mean anything but IT SOUNDS COOOOOL! hahahha you dumb libtard bastards I won't watch your sport that I never watched anyway because I don't even know what sport it is but it's because I'm now calling you racist for pointing out racism and hahahahah look at the idiots support this nonsense hahahha! you're all big dummies! watch me continue to not watch the thing that I never watched and CLEARLY don't care about--and NEVER HAVE!--as I make like, 57 posts about it in one day!"

etc
Same people who got up in arms when Kaepernick took a knee. Like WTF? Gimme a break. He risked his life every snap of the football on the field and you freakin' point a finger and dare to challenge his patriotism because he wants some recognition of the incontrovertible fact that blacks in the USA suffer indignities that whites do not, and pretty much their whole lives. Do you know how depressing and humiliating that is? That a black can't leave their home without at least subconsciously knowing that they are in serious danger?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
You should research the issue of police violence disproportionately affecting the black community. Research it with the goal of determining the objective truth instead of just looking for evidence that reinforces your current perspective. Because the evidence is pretty overwhelming once you are willing to accept it. Its not a media created conspiracy. It is the informed perspective of pretty much every expert that has researched the topic.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
By "not playing basketball" they:
1. Got a ton of media attention. Part of change, protesting, and nonviolent demonstration is bringing awareness to your cause. This accomplished that.
2. Put a financial squeeze on owners and league partners. Part of change, protesting, and nonviolent demonstration is leveraging your assets to your advantage. In less than 24 hours they got league owners to make a concession on the use of league arenas for voting purposes. This helps ensure adequate voting facilities in areas with arenas. Arenas tend to be in large urban centers. Large urban centers tend to have high proportions of people of color, people traditionally disenfranchised when voting changes are made.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

maybe they should just go out and dribble and give no further dicks about the neighborhoods they grew up in.

because, you know, they aren't allowed to have plans and means to fix these things that they learned, experienced, and understood from childhood. Lessons that you were never fucking exposed to in your life. Never. Don't even fucking pretend.

They aren't allowed that, obviously.

Because you say so. YOU determine the power they have and what and which they should choose to use it, right?

YOU? Seriously? Fuck the fuck off, cretin.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
"Shut your mouth and dance for me, minstrel. We're not paying to listen to your worthless opinions"
-Right wingers
I've been thinking about how righties can love black athletes playing so much then immediately turn on them when they express an opinion, since the whole thing with Mike Gundy and Chuba Hubbard happened. This morning, seeing people go ape about the NBA, I finally realized, to them sports is just another minstrel show. That's way they also bitch about player safety in the NFL, they don't care about the people at all beyond their daily's entertainment.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Fuck the racists. They can 'boycott' the NFL, NASCAR, now the NBA too and even MLB. The only team sport they have left is hockey because that sport is so white there is no pressure from the players to do anything. I guess golf and tennis will have to do. Those are essentially lily white sports. The winter olympics might fly, but the summer games are very diverse, they might do something about social justice as well - I hope so.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fuck the racists. They can 'boycott' the NFL, NASCAR, now the NBA too and even MLB. The only team sport they have left is hockey because that sport is so white there is no pressure from the players to do anything. I guess golf and tennis will have to do. Those are essentially lily white sports. The winter olympics might fly, but the summer games are very diverse, they might do something about social justice as well - I hope so.
Olympics can have some social justice messaging but don't expect much. You saw the aftermath of Mexico City. Just raising your fist got you in deep doo doo for decades. Thing is, the Olympics are a few weeks and it's over. Teams are all different and there's myriad politics involved with getting on teams. I'm not suggesting corruption, but it's complicated, very individual to what country you're representing. Fluid and very very temporary. However, stars on major sports teams are a bright glow that endures quite a bit. The Olympics are like a meteor streaking across the sky compared to pro sports athletes being like a comet visible to all for a while, commanding our attention. :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The NHL postponed its' Playoffs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've been thinking about how righties can love black athletes playing so much then immediately turn on them when they express an opinion, since the whole thing with Mike Gundy and Chuba Hubbard happened. This morning, seeing people go ape about the NBA, I finally realized, to them sports is just another minstrel show. That's way they also bitch about player safety in the NFL, they don't care about the people at all beyond their daily's entertainment.

"This is the only thing keeping me from beating my wife, assholes!"

/Every republican that is angry when they feel that their 8 hours of Sunday football is threatened.

No, not hyperbole. It is literally what their conscience is driving them to say, at the base of every verbal response.

Reactions: Zorba

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
When will NBA players stand up with the Uighurs? Oh wait, that'll go against the hyper capitalist NBA interests. Hypocrites and liars. No wonder the NBA is not being watched by many nowadays.

All these woke corporations are silent when it comes to their bottom lines. On softer and easier to tolerate topics, they'll virtue signal all day and twice on Twitter. Welcome to modern day hyper capitalist America.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Name the last Republican that initiated a serious discussion on race. I'll be waiting
Discussion on race? It's been going on for decades. We need people to look in the mirror and maybe realize that they might be the problem. A bit of responsibility might do some people good.

How does one do away with racism? Isn't it a form of tribalism? Aren't countries a much bigger tribe? Maybe get rid of countries. I don't support tribalism myself to be honest. It's very immature. One doesn't pick what ethnicity they are born with so why hold it against another person?