NBA players voting to end the season in solidarity with Jacob Blake

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The most telling thing ever was when Trevor Noah asked that idiot Tomi Lahren about the NFL kneeling protests, which she thought were unacceptable. All he asked her was 'okay, then what form of protest would be acceptable?' and she had no answer.

I imagine this is partially because she's not very smart and is too intellectually lazy to come up with a good lie but it's also true. There is no form of protest conservatives would find acceptable, they just don't want to admit it. The act of protesting itself is what conservatives find objectionable, not how it's done.
That's because their position is steeped in intellectual dishonesty. Even at the RNC convention speakers over and over said they support peaceful protests yet they complain EVERY time black people peacefully protest.

I've asked that question several times here and have yet to get an answer. "What form of protesting by black people is acceptable to you?"

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
are you serious? especially baseball of all thing. It is very very VERY rare talent that can actually compete at the ML level. Every team has 3 farm leagues. Very few of those will ever make it. Fans sure as shit aren't going to watch a league comprised of .120 batters that can't hit the curve, lol.

Also, most humans take a very negative attitude towards scabs. They just don't do it. Some will, of course, but good luck putting together an entire league of scabs.
Zin I am very disappointed that you missed the opportunity to point out to s0me0nesmind1 that basketball doesn't involve batting cages. :D

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I've asked that question several times here and have yet to get an answer. "What form of protesting by black people is acceptable to you?"
The answer is simple:

Whatever they aren't doing right now. As soon as they do that the answer changes again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's because their position is steeped in intellectual dishonesty. Even at the RNC convention speakers over and over said they support peaceful protests yet they complain EVERY time black people peacefully protest.

I think the answer is whatever kind of protest no one would notice.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
But now everyone is a non-viewer.
It's an interesting situation because it's as much like a strike as a protest. I don't care either way because I've never watched a game, but someone must be losing money over this, probably a lot of it. Do the folks taking the hit have any say in the matter?

Same here. Certainly the owners would be missing out on money and likely the players and certainly the advertisers, plus the headaches at ESPN plus(?) people buy the season ticket and don’t get a season. They will be pissed do you refund full or partial do you give them 2021 free or do you say tough shit and deal with the fallout.
However bummer to them it is their responsibility to deal with it or amend something to allow the season to continue.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Zin I am very disappointed that you missed the opportunity to point out to s0me0nesmind1 that basketball doesn't involve batting cages. :D

I just assumed he was going with "sports in general," but perhaps I am mistaken. I also feel that if you take his comment directly--all baseball players are replaceable--I could at least point out the reality of how fucking untrue that is, using baseball.

Nov 8, 2012
i know this is a NBA thread, but it seems the most appropriate place to post this. last night the Mets and Marlins took a 42 second moment of silence before the first pitch, placed a BLM shirt on home plate and walked off the field. i have never been more proud of professional sports in America than now.

*tear drips from eye*

Yes, it's amazing how much we have accomplished. Such amazing people.... sitting there silently...

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Sports. Please become more irrelevant. When your fanbase completely abandons you (you know those evil whites who pay for the tickets), who's going to pay your salary? Keep on protesting. :)

• Haha
Reactions: soundforbjt
Feb 4, 2009
Sports. Please become more irrelevant. When your fanbase completely abandons you (you know those evil whites who pay for the tickets), who's going to pay your salary? Keep on protesting. :)

Yeah they’ll watch soccer or wait nope they won’t watch soccer
They’ll watch nascar or nope they won’t because of the flags
They’ll watch baseball oops they won’t. They’ll want to but won’t be able to
They’ll watch football oops they wont. They’ll want to but wont be able to
Maybe golf or some dumb extreme sports channel?

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

black Americans don't buy tickets?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

jesus fucking christ

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

I'm white and I'll still go to sporting events when Covid's over, I suspect the only white people who will be triggered enough by this to abandon sports would be the racists ones. How could I possibly be mad at them for standing up for something? Even if a person doesn't share the same beliefs, they should respect them enough to nod and understand why they did what they did. Lebron's team is the favorite to win his 4th ring this season, and he was ready to end the season for what he believed in. I can't do anything but respect him for taking a stand. He believes this is more important than his basketball legacy, which is saying a lot.

Any white people who completely abandon the teams, good fuck em. Real fans won't run away because they disagree with the stance the team takes. Of course I know I could be well off base here, a few people on YT replied to me pointing out Lebron, Oprah, Denzel & Obama. And told me "see black people aren't oppressed" I mean with irrefutable proof like that I should probably just shut the fuck up here.

Apparently the fact we had a black president means cops don't racially profile black people. who knew? I learn shittons from Fox New fans for sure.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I’ve skimmed through this thread so I am not sure.

Has anybody said good on you to the NBA and now the MLB for taking a stand, bringing attention and making us talk about racism?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you don't know shit about the NBA you should keep your dumb ass outta this thread. Yeah, get a fuckin' life.

Nov 8, 2012
I’ve skimmed through this thread so I am not sure.

Has anybody said good on you to the NBA and now the MLB for taking a stand, bringing attention and making us talk about racism?

Because prior to these amazing brave heroes, we were never talking about race.... womp womp wooooooooooooomp.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That's right, black people should just shut up and

dribble
hit
run
swing
sing
dance
shuffle

How dare they voice their uppity opinions

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm white and I'll still go to sporting events when Covid's over, I suspect the only white people who will be triggered enough by this to abandon sports would be the racists ones. How could I possibly be mad at them for standing up for something? Even if a person doesn't share the same beliefs, they should respect them enough to nod and understand why they did what they did. Lebron's team is the favorite to win his 4th ring this season, and he was ready to end the season for what he believed in. I can't do anything but respect him for taking a stand. He believes this is more important than his basketball legacy, which is saying a lot.

Any white people who completely abandon the teams, good fuck em. Real fans won't run away because they disagree with the stance the team takes. Of course I know I could be well off base here, a few people on YT replied to me pointing out Lebron, Oprah, Denzel & Obama. And told me "see black people aren't oppressed" I mean with irrefutable proof like that I should probably just shut the fuck up here.

Apparently the fact we had a black president means cops don't racially profile black people. who knew? I learn shittons from Fox New fans for sure.

seriously, what do such white people have left? NASCAR has essentially abandoned the prideful and unmistakable symbols of slavery and white supremacy, so where will white people like Jubilex find their safe spaces?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
seriously, what do such white people have left? NASCAR has essentially abandoned the prideful and unmistakable symbols of slavery and white supremacy, so where will white people like Jubilex find their safe spaces?

In fact, I'm MORE likely to watch NASCAR with their change. My kids love car races, not having to explain yet another symbol of racism is kinda nice.

Reactions: Zorba and zinfamous