NBA players voting to end the season in solidarity with Jacob Blake

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Noooooo!! You mean that uppity negro actually gives back to his community? Who would have ever guessed? Well a card carrying racist wouldn't think this is possible. "Why ain't LeBron sportin' his gold chains countin' his bitches???

Oh look here are some of LeBron's other activities. Unlike Trump I don't think Lebron will be found guilty of fraud skimming money off his own charity.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
Noooooo!! You mean that uppity negro actually gives back to his community? Who would have ever guessed? Well a card carrying racist wouldn't think this is possible. "Why ain't LeBron sportin' his gold chains countin' his bitches???

Oh look here are some of LeBron's other activities. Unlike Trump I don't think Lebron will be found guilty of fraud skimming money off his own charity.

Apparently many folks here have issues with reading comprehension because you missed the part where I said "certain individuals"

Not surprising. Carry on with misinterpreting everything just to suit your agenda.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Apparently many folks here have issues with reading comprehension because you missed the part where I said "certain individuals"

Not surprising. Carry on with misinterpreting everything just to suit your agenda.

Since your comment wasn't rooted in reality, hows about you name some?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
"Shut your mouth and dance for me, minstrel. We're not paying to listen to your worthless opinions"
-Right wingers
This is called "employment". The employer determines the task that needs to be completed, then hires an employee to complete it. Either party can terminate that agreement at the time of their choosing. The employer refusing to compensate the employee, or the employee refusing to complete the agreed upon task, almost always ends up with the agreement being terminated.
It's a pretty good system.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

LeBron James led the effort to boycott the playoffs and have a vote. You accused "them" of virtual signaling which implicates LeBron and the league. As an afterthought you said "some" might help their communities. I don't have exact numbers but it's closer to a plurality the just a few that do community service. You did the same as Trump when he called Mexicans rapists and murderers and then said "some are good people"

So you were busted with your racist stereotype just own it.

The league voted today to continue playing so it less virtual signaling but an honest protest effort. And yes I know you don't approve of "ANY" way black people protest. Just own that as well.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is called "employment". The employer determines the task that needs to be completed, then hires an employee to complete it. Either party can terminate that agreement at the time of their choosing. The employer refusing to compensate the employee, or the employee refusing to complete the agreed upon task, almost always ends up with the agreement being terminated.
It's a pretty good system.
@Bitek is referring to right wing attitudes when black athletes speak up. Remember the "shut up and dribble". Righties think black people who are successful lose their right to protest.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because in the end they just want to virtue signal. That it. That is the end goal.

They aren't going to volunteer to help people in poor communities.
They aren't going to donate any fraction of their large mansion estates.
They aren't going to lobby/work with their local, state, or federal government representatives to incite changes.
They are going to say and wear "Black Lives Matter" and do absolutely nothing.

Some select individuals might - but certainly they won't come together and advocate for it as a team like they are here.

It's the exact same thing as someone Tweeting black lives matter. It does nothing. It accomplishes nothing... but it gives themselves that self-gratification of "I'm a good person" because they are simply moronic people.

If they wanted to actually try to accomplish something or incite actual change, they would instead do something like say "We will donate every dollar we make for the remaining games of the season" which would also impose some peer pressure on the league + team owners to double their match or something along those lines.

Instead, nothing will happen. Nothing will change. Because they don't actually want change.
You would have been like most of white America back in the day that castigated Muhammed Ali for refusing to be drafted. Ali was willing to sacrifice his career for a cause. It took many years but you people finally figured it out. While not at his level the players are trying to use their positions to stand up for a good cause.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Have you spoken to Q yet? He is waiting your call.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
@Bitek is referring to right wing attitudes when black athletes speak up. Remember the "shut up and dribble". Righties think black people who are successful lose their right to protest.
Everyone that works for me losses the right to protest when they're on the clock. I don't care what their politics are, I don't care how strongly they believe in any cause. If they decide to make my business part of a political statement, or choose to use the time I'm paying for to pursue their own agenda, they will be replaced. The other side of that coin is that I would never ask one of my people to support a cause they were against, or do something they were morally opposed to. I also would have no issue if they wanted a day off to support an issue that was important to them.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Everyone that works for me losses the right to protest when they're on the clock. I don't care what their politics are, I don't care how strongly they believe in any cause. If they decide to make my business part of a political statement, or choose to use the time I'm paying for to pursue their own agenda, they will be replaced. The other side of that coin is that I would never ask one of my people to support a cause they were against, or do something they were morally opposed to. I also would have no issue if they wanted a day off to support an issue that was important to them.

Things change when your employees have contracts in the hundreds of millions of dollars, a very significant media presence, and social influence for days.

If the NBA said no one can do any form of protest, there'd be no NBA left in 5 seconds.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Things change when your employees have contracts in the hundreds of millions of dollars, a very significant media presence, and social influence for days.

If the NBA said no one can do any form of protest, there'd be no NBA left in 5 seconds.
True enough, as long as they stay on the right side of the cancel culture.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The NBA needs the players WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY more than the players need the NBA.

Nov 8, 2012

Right. Because players aren't a dime a dozen with plenty in the batting cages of college ready to join at anytime.

So why haven't the players branched off and just made/managed their own league?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
But now everyone is a non-viewer.
It's an interesting situation because it's as much like a strike as a protest. I don't care either way because I've never watched a game, but someone must be losing money over this, probably a lot of it. Do the folks taking the hit have any say in the matter?

who cares if they take a hit?

Isn't that the point? What good is protesting if it doesn't also inconvenience people that, quite specifically, need to be inconvenienced?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Right. Because players aren't a dime a dozen with plenty in the batting cages of college ready to join at anytime.

So why haven't the players branched off and just made/managed their own league?
There's really no point in even engaging you in most topics since you are just completely ignorant of the subject at hand, but I will bite.

If you think players are a dime a dozen, then how come there are multiple other professional basketball leagues that haven't made it? It's just like with the XFL and AFL didn't even make it a year with football. The talent in the NBA (and NFL) are so far above and beyond anything else that other leagues.

Oh, and why would they make their own league when they are already making millions of dollars? That would be really really stupid wouldn't it. That doesn't mean they couldn't easily do it if they chose to leave the NBA though.

But again I know you are completely ignorant of this subject at hand so I don't even know why I bothered.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, you can find another wallboard hanger readily enough but LeBron is LeBron, there's only one LeBron. There are other great players but no NBA player can do what LeBron does. Or Steph Curry, and on and on. I'd be very disappointed if star athletes weren't respected in their beliefs. Coaches too. Many of the coaches have a social conscience. If they don't they are probably bad coaches.