NBA players voting to end the season in solidarity with Jacob Blake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So another non-viewer. I'm sure the NBA will miss your non-viewership of games you weren't watching anyways.
But now everyone is a non-viewer.
It's an interesting situation because it's as much like a strike as a protest. I don't care either way because I've never watched a game, but someone must be losing money over this, probably a lot of it. Do the folks taking the hit have any say in the matter?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No, the NBA bubble was solid. They successfully kept the virus out with science and confidence was high.

This is genuine anger about what's happened. Again.
Hard not to be pissed off at that. No body cams but pretty damn obvious what happened, obvious to me. He resisted control/arrest, went to get back into his car, his kids in the back seat. Cop goes no you don't, 7 shots in the back. I don't think cops should carry guns, I'm very serious about that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's an interesting situation because it's as much like a strike as a protest. I don't care either way because I've never watched a game, but someone must be losing money over this, probably a lot of it. Do the folks taking the hit have any say in the matter?
No, people who aren't/weren't watching it are non-viewers.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yes the players need to get back to work at the plantation. Holy fuck do you even begin to understand how shitty your question sounds?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I figure I'll add something interesting to the conversation. About a month ago, Stephen A. Smith made an argument about why the players should keep playing - using their social/economic power to really invest in the cities in which they play, apply political pressure, and getting NBA/athlete sponsors to change who they advertise and/or support

He's makes a compelling argument, though I certainly don't fault the players for calling an end to the season after yet another black man gets shot by cops. Taking away something people want (sports entertainment) is certainly one way of getting attention.

Mar 11, 2004
Hard not to be pissed off at that. No body cams but pretty damn obvious what happened, obvious to me. He resisted control/arrest, went to get back into his car, his kids in the back seat. Cop goes no you don't, 7 shots in the back. I don't think cops should carry guns, I'm very serious about that.

I was actually going to make a thread "instead of defunding police, why not disarm them?" Doing that will almost guaranteed get rid of the bad apples as they're constantly howling about how scared shitless they apparently are at all times such that they need to be pulling their guns out and shooting for every situation imaginable.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes the players need to get back to work at the plantation. Holy fuck do you even begin to understand how shitty your question sounds?
Yah, shut up and dribble. We'll make the rules, write the checks. Be good little warriors. Hail to the chief!

Melania looked like queen pin of the Gestapo, just no patches, stripes, metals. Way too much black eyeliner on the upper and lower eyelids of her slit eyes. That accent was thick and mysteriously confusing. She was right, The Don lets you know what he's thinking. Trouble is, he has no brains, just a head full of shit. He's a human fart. Fills the room with himself and it stinks.

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. -James Oppenheim

68 days until the big one! Vote... vote early, vote Democratic!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
He's makes a compelling argument, though I certainly don't fault the players for calling an end to the season after yet another black man gets shot by cops. Taking away something people want (sports entertainment) is certainly one way of getting attention.

I suppose they can practice those methods next year.
If there is a next year.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
A source told Adrian Wojnarowski that the players have elected to keep playing, but the games scheduled today are likely to be postponed.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I tried to watch it... it just felt creepy without fans.
At first I thought it was too but after like a game or two I thought the virtual crowd was awesome. And the way they are pumping noises in is great too. It "feels" real other than not seeing the few seats around the court. Took a game or two to get used to it.

And many of the games have been very competitive and fun to watch.

Reactions: Zorba
Nov 8, 2012
I figure I'll add something interesting to the conversation. About a month ago, Stephen A. Smith made an argument about why the players should keep playing - using their social/economic power to really invest in the cities in which they play, apply political pressure, and getting NBA/athlete sponsors to change who they advertise and/or support

Because in the end they just want to virtue signal. That it. That is the end goal.

They aren't going to volunteer to help people in poor communities.
They aren't going to donate any fraction of their large mansion estates.
They aren't going to lobby/work with their local, state, or federal government representatives to incite changes.
They are going to say and wear "Black Lives Matter" and do absolutely nothing.

Some select individuals might - but certainly they won't come together and advocate for it as a team like they are here.

It's the exact same thing as someone Tweeting black lives matter. It does nothing. It accomplishes nothing... but it gives themselves that self-gratification of "I'm a good person" because they are simply moronic people.

If they wanted to actually try to accomplish something or incite actual change, they would instead do something like say "We will donate every dollar we make for the remaining games of the season" which would also impose some peer pressure on the league + team owners to double their match or something along those lines.

Instead, nothing will happen. Nothing will change. Because they don't actually want change.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Its funny the same people who were accusing liberals of attacking anyone who "dared to step off the plantation" are complaining that players should shut up and get back to work entertaining them.

Once again proof of conservatives just projecting their shitty behavior and views onto everyone else.

"Shut your mouth and dance for me, minstrel. We're not paying to listen to your worthless opinions"
-Right wingers

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They aren't going to lobby/work with their local, state, or federal government representatives to.
You are so fucking dumb.

They are ALREADY BEFORE ANY OF THIS 2020 SHIT HAPPENED doing all of this.

And they HAVE been doing that forever.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because in the end they just want to virtue signal. That it. That is the end goal.

They aren't going to lobby/work with their local, state, or federal government representatives to incite changes.

Some select individuals might - but certainly they won't come together and advocate for it as a team like they are here.

It's the exact same thing as someone Tweeting black lives matter. It does nothing. It accomplishes nothing... but it gives themselves that self-gratification of "I'm a good person" because they are simply moronic people.

If they wanted to actually try to accomplish something or incite actual change, they would instead do something like say "We will donate every dollar we make for the remaining games of the season" which would also impose some peer pressure on the league + team owners to double their match or something along those lines.

Instead, nothing will happen. Nothing will change. Because they don't actually want change.
Like someone already pointed out they already do those things. Again, you are just one of those racist assholes that will complain no matter how black people protest. Like that twat Laura Ingraham you want them to "just shut up and dribble". 'Just amuse me boy, don't go gettin' all uppity"

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
You are so fucking dumb.

They are ALREADY BEFORE ANY OF THIS 2020 SHIT HAPPENED doing all of this.

And they HAVE been doing that forever.

In addition, the Bucks weren't twiddling their thumbs while they stayed in the locker room. They were on the phone with the LT Governor and State AG. They were learning about the process and asking what they could do to help most. When they came out they called for the state legislature to reconvene and vote on the police reform legislative package that Evers introduced.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Gee, look at that. You guys still SURE that this wasn't just a publicity stunt?
Well if you were following what actually happened, you would know that it was only the Lakers and Clippers that wanted to boycott the whole season.

The other teams wanted to continue. So clearly last night the 2 teams that were out numbered by 11 other teams probably discussed things and the 2 teams decided to go along with what the rest of the league wanted to do.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

You are so right.

_102768268_schoollebron.jpg