NBA Player drops 10K on MegaMillions

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/...gleton-spends-10000-on-lottery-tickets-033012

ATOT has him beat!
Washington Wizards rookie Chris Singleton isn't strapped for cash, but that isn't deterring him from trying to earn a few more bucks.

These 10 players are cashing the biggest paychecks. Are they worth it?
Well, maybe more than just a few bucks.

How about over $500 million?

That's what Singleton has his eyes on after posting on Twitter Wednesday night that he spent $10,000 on Mega Millions tickets. The jackpot has reached a world record $640 million, and the figure could go even higher before the 11:00pm ET drawing.

"You guys are already rich," one of his followers wrote.

"If I get richer, I will change the world for the better," Singleton replied.

Singleton’s 2012 salary currently stands at $1,485,000, and he's slated to make $1,596,360 in 2013.

One thing that's not clear is whether Singleton plans on spending the $10,000 in one place to buy the tickets or at several different locations in the Washington, DC, area.

"I hope your kidding.. Your odds from buying 1 to 10,000 is insignificant," someone else pointed out.

"Well if I get more than 10000 back then it was a smart investment," Singleton countered. "Whatever happens I'm dedicated to making more money."

"And to him, that’s probably like $100," a fan quipped.

"Its an investment guys," Singleton wrote in response.

These 10 players hold the richest contracts in sports.
If Singleton's substantial investment were to pay off, the amount in his bank account would be around the value of the team he plays for.

Forbes valued the Wizards at $328 million in late January, and the current lump-sum payout amount is more than the estimated worth of all but five NBA franchises.

After federal taxes are taken out of the winnings, the take-home amount drops to around $350 million.

Meantime, a quick scan of Twitter shows athletes across the sports world trying their luck.

"If I win some money like six figures from this lotto thing ... I'm blowing it haha I didn't expect to win so it's fun money," wrote Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith.

"This morning I got my coffee and contributed $20 to the lottery #YourWelcome," California jockey Joe Talamo wrote.

US softball Olympian Cat Osterman said,"#IfIWonTheLottoIWould buy my mom her Porsche, my dad his house on a golf course, pay my brothers loans ... Yes we bought 5 tickets!"

Other NFL players who tweeted their plans to buy tickets included Saints receiver Lance Moore, Falcons receiver Roddy White, Giants defensive end Justin Tuck and Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman.

The odds of hitting the Mega Millions jackpot are one in 176 million. The lottery game, which is played in 42 states, has not had a winner since Jan. 24.

Last edited:

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I hope it ultimately goes to someone not rich, but I've read about people doing this a lot over the years.

And change the world for the better? Yeah fucking right.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
"Its an investment guys," Singleton wrote in response.

methinks he does not know what the word investment means

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
It's an investment? lol. No......buying a house is an investment, or buying stocks in a company. The lottery is A GAME YOU DUMBASS. He plays one all the time, does he not realize what a game is?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
It's an investment? lol. No......buying a house is an investment, or buying stocks in a company. The lottery is A GAME YOU DUMBASS. He plays one all the time, does he not realize what a game is?

Basketball is not a game of chance.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I hope it ultimately goes to someone not rich, but I've read about people doing this a lot over the years.

And change the world for the better? Yeah fucking right.

better for himself :p

if someone rich wins this people will go nuts

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Down the road after his career is over he will be strapped for cash and whining hes broke cause he has to pay money to 15 baby mommas.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Nobody will change the world for the better when they get rich, especially not some ghetto baller. Everybody is in it for themselves, period.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Nobody will change the world for the better when they get rich, especially not some ghetto baller. Everybody is in it for themselves, period.

I will help some people, so I am only 99% in it for myself.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
lol the thing is he had to brag about it on Twitter, he could've kept the news to himself.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
This guy is just straight up trolling

It's funny how many people are getting pissy about it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Sure it's an investment. However, junk bonds are also investments. 10k in junk bonds is actually probably a little bit better of an investment.

Oct 20, 2005
haha investment.

So according ot him, if I come out with $10,001, it's worth it huh? even though the risk faaaaaaaaar outweighs the reward? dumbass lol

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

All investments are gambles. This is just has lower odds. Much lower. As low as you can go, but not many investments can go from $10K to $500mil.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
All investments are gambles. This is just has lower odds. Much lower. As low as you can go, but not many investments can go from $10K to $500mil.
C'mon now ya'll are reading too far into it :colbert: You know what I mean...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I predict another Dennis Rodman, flat broke, in his future with bets like that.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
It's only 10k, he makes lots of money in the nba so it might sound like a lot of money to normal people. But this won't change how he lives at all, and hey his chances are 10k higher than someone who spent 1 buck. Plus for him will make it that much more exciting.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
heck this would be a much better investment than some of these stocks where when the market crashed and some companies went out of business haha.