NBA: Latest KG trade rumor

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Kevin Garnett to Phoenix, Amare Stoudamire to Atlanta, Minnesota gets #3, #11, plus players

Just heard the rumor on ESPN.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Wow. I'm a Dallas fan but I'd be scared of Phoenix with KG there. Although I think it'd ruin the chemistry of the team, but if all things click...yikes.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
so do i, KG fan for a long time, but the rest of the team sucks, need to blow it up and start over, too bad they cant package Kevin Mchale with Kevin Garnet

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ricochet
What happened to the KG to Lakers rumor I heard just yesterday?

Mike and Mike said this morning that KG contacted Kobe, and sometime after that, the trade deal fell apart. KG will not be a Laker.

Edit: ric, I think the draft is actually tomorrow.

Edit again: stupid forum quote feature is broken.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Any trade involving Amare shipped out of Phoenix is completely bogus. This is all a high-stakes game of poker, with Timberwolves GM Mchale doing everything he can to get the best deal for KG. I think the Suns caught wind that LA might be getting KG and stepped in at the last moment to throw a wrench in that plan. They are no doubt salivating at the thought of Kobe being out of the Western conference.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
looks like a really crappy deal for MN (I am from MN btw), they would be fools to accept that kind of a deal. #3 and #11 pick with unknown NBA abilities for KG? I dont think so.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Amare is awesme and young (24). I don't know why Suns want to give him away for KG(30?), who only has a good few years remaining (3-4) i'd say. Same for trading Marion, who is pretty young as well.

I guess it makes sense if you note that Nash is 32 and also has a few good years left. It makes sense for KG and Nash to try to win championships before they retire.. and then the Suns will really be screwed (Mario, Barbosa, who else?)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Any trade involving Amare shipped out of Phoenix is completely bogus. This is all a high-stakes game of poker, with Timberwolves GM Mchale doing everything he can to get the best deal for KG. I think the Suns caught wind that LA might be getting KG and stepped in at the last moment to throw a wrench in that plan. They are no doubt salivating at the thought of Kobe being out of the Western conference.

Why would that be completely bogus if Amare is involved :confused:

KG > Amare, and the Suns know that when Nash is gone there is no chance. Might as well go for it.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Amare is awesme and young (24). I don't know why Suns want to give him away for KG(30?), who only has a good few years remaining (3-4) i'd say. Same for trading Marion, who is pretty young as well.

I guess it makes sense if you note that Nash is 32 and also has a few good years left. It makes sense for KG and Nash to try to win championships before they retire.. and then the Suns will really be screwed (Mario, Barbosa, who else?)

Trading Marion would make more sense because he is probably going to walk.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'm a huge Timberwolves and KG fan and this deal would suck for the Wolves.

Granted, the Wolves team sucks right now and our front office is too stupid to assemble a decent team around him, but a couple of draft picks and cap space for someone of KG's caliber? No thanks. What's to keep those young guys from bolting once their rookie contracts are over? NBA players aren't exactly dying to play in Minnesnowta.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I'm a huge Timberwolves and KG fan and this deal would suck for the Wolves.

Granted, the Wolves team sucks right now and our front office is too stupid to assemble a decent team around him, but a couple of draft picks and cap space for someone of KG's caliber? No thanks. What's to keep those young guys from bolting once their rookie contracts are over? NBA players aren't exactly dying to play in Minnesnowta.

how else are the T'Wolves going to rebuild? they have to rebuild with youth through the draft. this year's draft is looking to be the deepest in a while, so those picks might be very valuable.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
This would be incredibly stupid of Atlanta. They need a PG desperately and can pick one up with the #3 or #11 picks if they so choose. They've got enough forwards already.

But hey, it's Billy Knight so I wouldn't expect anything less.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Trading Amare for KG is a minimal upgrade at best. Who's to say Garnett will even fit in well with the Sun's uptempo offense. Amare is 7 YEARS YOUNGER and already an all-NBA all-star center. When Nash is done they can still build around Amare, that's how good he is. If they do this trade their team is finished for a long time because Nash+KG will both be done. This trade makes no sense for Phoenix. They were two suspensions away from the championship last year.

As far as I can tell the only weakness they need to address is finding a good defender to put the stops on someone like Duncan. If they had one they would have taken the Spurs easily.

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: StartingLine
looks like a really crappy deal for MN (I am from MN btw), they would be fools to accept that kind of a deal. #3 and #11 pick with unknown NBA abilities for KG? I dont think so.

We would still get our #7 pick right?

I am for the deal. You can't expect much for KG - if he isn't traded we will lose him for nothing after next year. I'm not expecting Amare to fall in our laps.

Also from MN.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
This would be incredibly stupid of Atlanta. They need a PG desperately and can pick one up with the #3 or #11 picks if they so choose. They've got enough forwards already.

But hey, it's Billy Knight so I wouldn't expect anything less.

It depends if they can somehow sign a free agent PG like Bibby or Billups. Atlanta has always been a dead end, but if they had Amare, Joe Johnson, and Josh Smith, then add a quality PG and suddenly they're a quality team (on paper).

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Queasy

But hey, it's Billy Knight so I wouldn't expect anything less.</end quote></div>

It depends if they can somehow sign a free agent PG like Bibby or Billups. Atlanta has always been a dead end, but if they had Amare, Joe Johnson, and Josh Smith, then add a quality PG and suddenly they're a quality team (on paper).

They almost can't afford a PG like Bibby or Billups because they need the cap room for when it time to re-up the contracts for Johnson, Childress, Smith, and Harrison during the next couple of years.

Whatever they do, they need an upgrade from Speedy Claxton at the PG position.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
KG = proven superstar, puts up double doubles every game, first option (offensively), can make plays for himself

Amare = above average player but unproven (don't think he will be anywhere as good without Nash), can't really create plays for himself, knee injury possibly keeping him from being great

KG > Amare