NBA Fans: Who do you think will come come out of the east ?

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
The Lakers will win the West and the Championship, i figure the only real competition this year is who will win the Eastern Conferance. So, who do you think it will be ?

I think NJ will make it, but i'll be rooting for my Pistons :)

Indiana could be sleeper team.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
indiana? u kidding? i predict another sh!tty end of the season for reggie miller in which he'll whine and whine and whine and whine. he's getting old. never was that great and i dont think he has what it takes. jalen rose was better than him.

i think either NJ or bucks will take the East. If minnesota plays lakers for western conference, lakers might have trouble. actually i think lakers will have a lot of trouble in the west asides from minnesota. mavericks, kings, and blazers to name a few. of course some of these teams will get eliminated, they're a threat nonetheless. if lakers can handle these teams, then it's three-peat for sure unless shaq is bribed to lose :)

edit cuz i forgot minnesota is not on east! my geography is off!

Calcio

Sep 28, 2001
I'm going to have to say Boston. But I really don't think it matters. The West is going to take it all

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hard to say, but if Philly starts getting it together, I actually think they will. If not them, then the Bucks or Nets. I'm not convinced on the Nets though, and tonight's game against my Lakers gave me no reason to think otherwise. The Nets depend far too heavily on fastbreak baskets, getting out in the open court and letting Kidd make plays. As soon as their offense is forced to play halfcourt, which they will be in the playoffs, they stall, their horrible jump shooting shows, and they look bad.

BuckleDownBen

Banned
Jun 11, 2001
In case you hadn't noticed, the Lakers aren't in 1st place in the West. They're the favorites but I think Dallas, San Antonio, or Sacto can beat them. Portland and Minnesota have a slight chance. Shaq isn't 100 percent healthy, and he can be fouled enough that he is taken out of his game.

I'd handicap the West as follows:

Lakers 60%
Dallas 10%
Sacto 10%
SA 10%
Portland 5 %
Minnesota 3%
Other 2 %

The east is so crappy any team can make it through. As a darkhorse, I like Detroit, but I'd give Philly the best shot because they won the East last year.

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
indiana or NJ

and i think the mavs now have the best shot at dethroning the lakers, but we'll see

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< indiana or NJ
and i think the mavs now have the best shot at dethroning the lakers, but we'll see
>>

Yeah, that Mavs lineup is insane

HamSupLo

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
LA maybe the second team in the West, but the NBA's "best team", the Sac Kings are not a good road team at all. If you want to win a playoff series, you gotta win at least one on the road. Dallas looks great with 5 offensive weapons, but to win it all, you gotta play defense. LaFrentz is not a true center that can bang with Shaq. The Spurs don't look too scary at all cuz the "Twin Towers" are no more now that Robinson sucks. The Lakers will probably romp through the West again this year.

Calcio

Sep 28, 2001
IT really doesn't matter, the Lake show is going to take it. They are just waiting until the playoff
Note to all, I am not a Lakers fan. That is just the way it is going to be.

RudeBoie

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2000
Indiana has the talent to go, but I think Isiah is a horrible coach.

Too bad they lost Harrington too.

Either Indiana if Isiah is truly a great coach, and I just don't know it, or AI and the 76'ers

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
considering how important a half court offense is in the playoffs, i think nj, milwaukee, boston , and orlandoshould be taken out just because they dont have dominant post players.

philadelphia still has a pretty good shot, just because they have coleman and mutombo in there, but if iverson is in some slump which considering his shooting percantage is what i'd consider his entire year (39% shooting is just attrocious) i dont know about them

detroit i'm doubting it, but hey who knows. , indiana outside of miller is probably too inexprienced.

charlotte outside of davis , wesley and cambell probably doesnt have enough talent, and well really only davis is really great.

I dont know miami isnt even on there, but i like them over a lot of those teams if they make the playoffs which it looks like they will considering they are only 2.5 games back now, and are really winning now. they have a post game in zo and grant, and jones can shoot from the outside. in the grind it out defense playoffs you have to like them assuming they get in.

jarfykk

Mar 29, 2001
Just want to point out, Lakers are now in first (after Tues games). Not that places mean anything except at the END of the season and only for seeding. Figure even if lakers are the 3 or 4 seed, they still gonna kick arse. Two cents and such.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<<

I dont know miami isnt even on there, but i like them over a lot of those teams if they make the playoffs which it looks like they will considering they are only 2.5 games back now, and are really winning now. they have a post game in zo and grant, and jones can shoot from the outside. in the grind it out defense playoffs you have to like them assuming they get in.
>>

They are playing good now, but I can't believe a 26-32 team is only 2.5 games out of a playoff spot. Man the east is weak. Seattle is 8th in the West, but they would be 4th if they played in the East (probably more, because they would be able to kick all the east team's asses every night, but you get my drift). Every current west playoff team has a winning record against the east, but only one east playoff team (Nets) has a winning record against the west.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Dammit! I just typed a huge post, and clicked the Anandtech symbol by mistake and it was gone when I hit back. That sux.

Anyways, from the top:

I'm a huge NBA fan, I watch 60+ Raptor games a year (I haven't watched the last 10 though, wonder why...), know pretty much every player's name/who they play for/their college in the NBA. I love the NBA 2K series also, man those games rock! I even have my Dreamcast here w/ me at university.

The East this year is really a crapshoot though. Personally, I'd have to say New Jersey or Philly have the best chance of coming out of the east this year. Although Boston is really close (who whould have thought that at the beginning of the year). I don't really like Boston too much (Pierce is awesome though), but they got BOTH of my favourite energy bench players from Phoenix: Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers. That will help them a lot down the stretch, and in the playoffs, and they're way deeper with those guys. Still no centre though. New Jersey is really overachieving right now, but there's no reason for that not to continue as Kidd is the best PG in the league, and to top it off he's playing for a contract in 1-2 years. He has something to prove. I remember watching Phoenix in the playoffs last year and I've never seen a point guard (not named Magic) dominate like he did at crunch time. I mean, he could do whatever he wanted on the court: drive, set up a teammate effortlessly. It's too bad it was just him trying out there. Philly is too good a team to be counted out. With Iverson, he's always a threat to drop 50 on you, and if he does, you can't do anything (unless you have Ty Lue on your team, hehe j/k ... )

Milwaukee is pretty good too; when Big-Dog gets 25 in a game (and when he wants to, he does) they're deadly. However no inside presence will again kill them down the stretch.

Detroit is a pretty good team, lots of good role players (Jon Barry, Corliss sometimes, but he's still a puss, etc). Still, I don't see them making the finals tho. No way.

Man, things were looking good for Toronto, especially 12 games ago lol. 29-21, we had the best record after 50 games in our history! Then Carter went down, Morris Peterson came back from his injury (most overrated rookie from last year, man he's inconsistent). If we start either Jerome Williams or Keon Clark, we're a very good team. Too bad our coach is a stubborn, old, inflexible knowitall. If he would just play Mamadou N'Diaye some more damn minutes! And doesn't he know Eric Montross is like a joke around the league! I'm still hoping that Andre Miller trade a friend and I made up happens during the summer, lol!

As for the person who said Indiana will have another sh!tty year. That's probably true, but they've got an interesting team now. Ron Artiste (nobody calls him that btw) is very underrated and Miller is decent. More importantly he allows Jermaine "Shaq's little brother" O'neal to play PF and not get manhandled every game.

I've been a pretty big Mavs fan the last couple of years (ever since Nash became more than just "another Canadian player"), but that trade they just pulled off really was a gem. Getting LaFrentz right when he's starting to become good, not to mention Nick "cancer for chemistry" Van Exel was pretty sweet for the crap they gave up. Is it just me, or is Nelson/Cuban building an all-white all star team? The one problem with Dallas is that they need to give Nash his 35+ minutes a game while playing Van Exel 30+. They should just move Finley back to SF, Johnny Newman doesn't need to play 30 minutes!!!

I think that Minnesota (that Marc Jackson acquisition was great), Sacramento or Portland (Portland you say?) do have a shot at dethroning the Lakers, but make no question it's the Lakers' title to lose. They are still the champs, and the best of the best. The best record means nothing, they're still the champs. Kobe is still a little b!tch tho. If you've seen that picture of him getting socked by Chris Childs, you'll know what I'm talking about. San Antonio is going down faster than David Robinson's career and reputation (still a good team, but not rings for them this year, for sure!).

Personally, I'm just hoping for a no-Lakers finals. That would be great. That and the Raptors firing Lenny and getting Jeff Van Gundy. And the Andre Miller trade.

Sorry for wasting your time, I get kinda caught up in B-Ball.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

<< They are playing good now, but I can't believe a 26-32 team is only 2.5 games out of a playoff spot. Man the east is weak. Seattle is 8th in the West, but they would be 4th if they played in the East (probably more, because they would be able to kick all the east team's asses every night, but you get my drift). Every current west playoff team has a winning record against the east, but only one east playoff team (Nets) has a winning record against the west.
>>

Fo sho! Seattle would be up there in the east, GP would will his team to beat most of the crap teams in the east, no sweat.

Oh yeah the Raps have a winning rec vs west. Too bad they just slipped out of playoff contention. If we can win a damn game sometime soon, we should make it, but it will be tight, seeing as everyone but us upgraded. We still need to realize that Eric Montross, Morris Peterson suck ass!

shaddow

May 6, 2001
I am not a miami heat fan but i guarantee you , no one wants to see them sneak into the playoffs the way they have been playing