Navy: UFO files could cause "grave damage" to national security if released

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So what gives? real or just soime really advanced aviation concepts being tested?

ember 2004, several U.S. Navy pilots stationed aboard the USS Nimitz encountered a Tic-Tac-shaped UFO darting and dashing over the Pacific Ocean in apparent defiance of the laws of physics. Navy officials dubbed the strange craft an "unidentified aerial phenomenon," but they have remained mum on what, exactly, that phenomenon could've been. Now, unsurprisingly to anyone who's ever considered making a hat out of tinfoil, the military has confirmed they know more than they're letting on.

1223-satno-kluger-ufochat-1468474-640x360.jpg
© Credit: CBSNews 1223-satno-kluger-ufochat-1468474-640x360.jpg
In response to a recent Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, a spokesperson from the Navy's Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) confirmed that the agency possesses several top-secret documents and at least one classified video pertaining to the 2004 UFO encounter, Vice reported.

According to the ONI spokesperson, these documents were either labeled "SECRET" or "TOP SECRET" by the agencies that provided them, and that sharing the information with the public "would cause exceptionally grave damage to the National Security of the United States."

These top-secret files included several "briefing slides" about the incident, provided to the ONI by an unnamed agency. (Because ONI officials did not classify the slides personally, they are unable to declassify them, the spokesperson added).

The ONI also admitted to possessing at least one video of unknown length, classified as "secret" by the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR). ONI didn't reveal whether this footage is the same 1-minute video that was leaked online in 2007 and widely released by The New York Times in 2017. However, in November 2019, several naval officers who witnessed the incident aboard the Nimitz told Popular Mechanics that they had seen a much longer video of the encounter that was between 8 and 10 minutes long. These original recordings were promptly collected and erased by "unknown individuals" who arrived on the ship by helicopter shortly after the incident, one officer said.

BBYWS8R.img

9f8e92.gif

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
9sDPpmA.jpg

Pretty sure it’s neither. The most likely things are camera issues, weather phenomena, etc.

If it was super secret tech you wouldn’t show it off in front of US military pilots because that would jeopardize secrecy (explanation works for US or foreign powers)

As for aliens? While I’m sure they are out there the vast distances make it extremely unlikely they’d ever show up here in this way.

giphy.gif

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
9sDPpmA.jpg

Pretty sure it’s neither. The most likely things are camera issues, weather phenomena, etc.

If it was super secret tech you wouldn’t show it off in front of US military pilots because that would jeopardize secrecy (explanation works for US or foreign powers)

As for aliens? While I’m sure they are out there the vast distances make it extremely unlikely they’d ever show up here in this way.

giphy.gif
So why would our government say -- Navy: UFO files could cause "grave damage" to national security if released??

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So why would our government say -- Navy: UFO files could cause "grave damage" to national security if released??
Off the top of my head? If our aviators and jets are picking things up that aren’t there that’s something that could be exploited by a foreign adversary if they figure out the conditions that caused the effect in the first place.

When it comes to aliens it’s never aliens until it unequivocally is.

tiggers

Sep 16, 2008
Another angle:
If this were another countries spy plane, and we report when/where and with what, but admit we couldn't track it, it gives that other country valuable data as to the effectiveness of their spy plane. As in they get actual feedback that with current technology, the US military would be unable to track it. Information that could be used to evade/defeat US military tracking technology (open borders for spy plane/bombers/etc).

Hence the label "national security".

It reminds me of a conversation a long time ago of someone I knew who worked in a top secret facility, about the "stupid" poliies they had on everything. Including how printer parts were disposed of. What he didn't know was that (at the time), the last page thru the copier was imprinted in such a way that it was still imaged on the drum roller inside the printer. FOr a spy, even ONE page of a secret document is more than nothing. Hence, how copiers and copier componets were disposed of was a mater of national security.

Reactions: cytg111

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Another angle:
If this were another countries spy plane, and we report when/where and with what, but admit we couldn't track it, it gives that other country valuable data as to the effectiveness of their spy plane. As in they get actual feedback that with current technology, the US military would be unable to track it. Information that could be used to evade/defeat US military tracking technology (open borders for spy plane/bombers/etc).

Hence the label "national security".

It reminds me of a conversation a long time ago of someone I knew who worked in a top secret facility, about the "stupid" poliies they had on everything. Including how printer parts were disposed of. What he didn't know was that (at the time), the last page thru the copier was imprinted in such a way that it was still imaged on the drum roller inside the printer. FOr a spy, even ONE page of a secret document is more than nothing. Hence, how copiers and copier componets were disposed of was a mater of national security.
Nice try....moving on....

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think this is a story of disconnect between how military people talk about stuff and how the media and the rest of us interpret it. When the Navy says releasing it could cause ‘exceptionally grave damage’ they are simply repeating the government definition for what top secret information is. If something is classified top secret then it inherently would cause ‘exceptionally grave damage’ if released.

As someone who has been around a great deal of top secret information in his life let me tell you, lots of it would not cause anything close to exceptionally grave damage if released, but we over-classify everything.

So in this case could it be because aliens? Sure. Vastly more likely though is that it reveals some sort of equipment, tactic, or performance capability of our hardware that’s classified top secret.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So in this case could it be because aliens? Sure. Vastly more likely though is that it reveals some sort of equipment, tactic, or performance capability of our hardware that’s classified top secret.

Clinton couldn't cover up a blow job, and some folks think our government could cover up the existence of aliens. Mmmmmhmmm.

• Haha
Reactions: pmv and Perknose

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Could be there's some genuine secrets tangentially involved, but could just be instinctive, knee-jerk, obsessive secrecy. Maybe the top-brass's reaction is "We have aliens? News to me. In any case, either way we don't give those sonofabitch civilians anything we aren't forced to"

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
One of the golden rules of life: the truth is often far more boring than you'd like it to be.

As much as I'd love to know that Earth has made contact with aliens, it's far more likely that the Navy just doesn't want to divulge the incidental details of those reports (like the type of aircraft flying and when it flew).