Navy Tries to Trump "Pain Ray" With "Vomit Beam"

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
YouTube of Pain Ray.

Wired on Navy's Vomit Beam
You never know what's going to land in your mailbox. Last night, I found a weapon that shoots an invisible wall-penetrating beam that makes people so dizzy they fall over. (It can make them puke, too, but I'll get to that in a moment.)

IVC proposes to investigate the use of beamed RF [radio frequency] energy to excite and interrupt the normal process of human hearing and equilibrium. The focus will be in two areas. (1) Interruption of the mechanical transduction process by which sound and position (relative to gravity) are converted to messages that are processed by the brain. (2) Interruption of the chemical engine which sustains the proper operation of the nerve cells that respond to the mechanical transduction mechanisms referenced in item (1). Interruption of either or both of these processes has been clinically shown to produce complete disorientation and confusion.

The benefits of such a weapon would be that in areas of extreme risk to Marine Corps personnel, hostiles could be controlled without loss of life. The weapon effect would be helpful in urban combat where rooms could be subjected to the EPIC stimulus and then subdued without further risk to friendlies or hostiles. Similar technology could be applied to law enforcement operations especially in hostage situations where all the people in a room could be incapacitated without damage and subsequently sorted out as to which are the bad guys and which are the good guys.

<Neo>Whoa</Neo>

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
i think i read about the pain ray in The Times a few months back. Love the idea.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
The name "Vomit Beam" has the 4th grader in me giggling uncontrollably.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
I read about these weapons in a half baked sci fi space opera.

the kinetic weapons, the vomit and pain ray... so weird.

al capone came back to life and made a space army. freaking weird series....