Navy removes Captain of USS Roosevelt

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I get the sneaking suspicion a certain Cadet Bone Spurs didn’t take kindly to the captain’s “cry for help” letter leading to the press after hundreds of sailors contracted Coronavirus and the ship was left docked in limbo while higher ups dithered on how to handle it.

“Acting” Navy Secretary: “I have no information nor am I trying to suggest he leaked the letter. ... What I will say...He sent it out pretty broadly and in sending it out pretty broadly he did not take care to ensure it couldn’t be leaked.”

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
he didnt know what he signed up for.

letting sailors die is what he signed up for ;)

I mean, essentially that’s what he got dismissed for. The Navy believes he sacrificed national security & operational readiness in order to get sick sailors off his boat to control the spread.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
He was probably getting ignored and wrote the letter out of desperation.
The acting Nave secretary said that Captain could have called directly. Should be easy for the Captain to answer but wonder if he can divulge as long as he in the service?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I mean, essentially that’s what he got dismissed for. The Navy believes he sacrificed national security & operational readiness in order to get sick sailors off his boat to control the spread.
I was thinking he got a raw deal until I read that sentence. Now I realize I don't know near enough about operational security to have an opinion.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I was thinking he got a raw deal until I read that sentence. Now I realize I don't know near enough about operational security to have an opinion.

Well, I kinda think that’s BS—I said that’s what the Navy believes based on the article, not what I believe. I’m also not buying that he went outside his chain of command—he likely only sent that letter because he was denied the resources/commands requested.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So what I'm getting out of this is the most important thing about commanders wanting to protect their personnel so as to remain mission ready is that no matter how many of their lives lives are at stake and no matter how many of them die, the highest priority is to make sure Trump don't look bad in the media because he's already doing a really terrific job of it all on his own.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
So what I'm getting out of this is the most important thing about commanders wanting to protect their personnel so as to remain mission ready is that no matter how many of their lives lives are at stake and no matter how many of them die, the highest priority is to make sure Trump don't look bad in the media because he's already doing a really terrific job of it all on his own.

Pretty much. The lives of every one of your personnel is not worth taking a chance that you might embarrass Trump the Hump. Worst part is I'll bet that the request came right up the chain of command. Unfortunately for the captain, Trump likes to shoot messengers between the eyes and mount their heads on pikes.

I'm just waiting for him to fire Fauci now that he came out today and stated to the press that every state should be under a stay at home order and "he does not understand why they aren't". Considering that almost all the states that aren't have governors who are the Donald's butt boys, that is going to be considered by the White House an outright attack on the Hump himself.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My 9 years taught me the average captain is MUCH more interested in impressing admirals than he is in the well being of his crew.
This one must be an anomaly.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Well, I kinda think that’s BS—I said that’s what the Navy believes based on the article, not what I believe. I’m also not buying that he went outside his chain of command—he likely only sent that letter because he was denied the resources/commands requested.
It appears you know far more about it than I do.
I would expect there to be a chain of people whose job it is to keep that boat operational, with the captain being the number one guy, and pretty much everyone else backing him up. Clearly that isn't the case if he has an infected crew and sick sailors. Isn't there an Admiral in there somewhere who can tell him to drive the boat home and get his crew help? How can they be combat effective if everyone is hacking their lungs out? Seems like there should be a medical officer who would also have some pull.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
It appears you know far more about it than I do.
I would expect there to be a chain of people whose job it is to keep that boat operational, with the captain being the number one guy, and pretty much everyone else backing him up. Clearly that isn't the case if he has an infected crew and sick sailors. Isn't there an Admiral in there somewhere who can tell him to drive the boat home and get his crew help? How can they be combat effective if everyone is hacking their lungs out? Seems like there should be a medical officer who would also have some pull.

My understanding is that they told him to drive the boat to port (Guam) and provided some medical supplies but did not allow sailors off the boat. I can imagine they didn’t want potentially hundreds of cases onboard infecting the local population and overwhelming the island’s clinics, but the captain realized quarantining on the boat was impossible and that 100s of cases could quickly become 1000s.

Jul 9, 2009
I just don't understand this. Just because the Captain of an aircraft carrier went outside the chain of command, caused panic on his ship and released classified military information to a newspaper isn't cause to relieve him of his job.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I just don't understand this. Just because the Captain of an aircraft carrier went outside the chain of command, caused panic on his ship and released classified military information to a newspaper isn't cause to relieve him of his job.

Caused panic on the ship?
Released classified military info to a newspaper?
Source?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
IT WAS TRUMP !!!!
Everybody knows that Trump does not like whistleblowers.
And we all know how this works.
The Captain first and NO DOUBT followed the normal chain of command, and that went no where. Resulted in a dead end.
You know that. We all know that. And thus, the Captain has no choice.
Besides, Trump does not like decent, nor truth, nor facts.
The whistleblower went against everything that Donald Trump believes in, which isn't much.
THIS IS SO INSANE.
If, and that is a big IF, if we survive THIS pandemic under THIS president it will be a miracle of biblical proportion.
We'll all miss AnandTech. I know I will.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My understanding is that they told him to drive the boat to port (Guam) and provided some medical supplies but did not allow sailors off the boat. I can imagine they didn’t want potentially hundreds of cases onboard infecting the local population and overwhelming the island’s clinics, but the captain realized quarantining on the boat was impossible and that 100s of cases could quickly become 1000s.
where does it say that.....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Damn you sure did get a lot of stuff that was not even mentioned in that article out of that article......lie much??

Reactions: Meghan54

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

That is crap - how could the Roosevelt put to sea today if potentially all the sailors on board will be down with COVID within the next month?

It is not operationally ready, and cannot be without a full crew swap and decontamination (which may not even be feasible outside of vacating the boat for 3 weeks).