Navigation Tracking Question

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
I recently got a job doing medical transport and many of the stops are departments inside a hospital. We all know how confusing finding your way around the entire building can be and I tried asking staff as well as checking the website for any kind of map but they told me it doesn't exist. I'm training right now and shadowing someone but its only part time and they expect you to learn quickly. I'm trying to find out if there's maybe an app that can track and record your movements from point A to B.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I could give you a link to a google search for app that can track and record your movements from point A to B , but I'm betting there IS a map somewhere, or blueprints at the local goverment assessor's or planning office.

It would seem like an app would need to use GPS? Will it be able to distinguish minor altitude changes like 2nd floor versus 3rd floor? I would guess it wouldn't reliably do that in a big structure like a hospital (but I could be wrong).

If all else fails, how about getting a google aerial map, create a layer in an image editing app that you use to trace outlines of areas in the hospital on a floor by floor basis and label them?

If you mention which hospital, maybe someone can find a map?

Reactions: MrGrim999

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Why not mount a go pro on your vest? Review footage later. Or ask emergency services, they should have access to floor plans.

Reactions: MrGrim999

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Why not mount a go pro on your vest? Review footage later. Or ask emergency services, they should have access to floor plans.

Funny you mention that, I always thought they were so cool but I never had a purpose for it. Times are kinda tough right now which is why I took this job. If I already had one , that probably would've worked! Maybe I can find someone to borrow one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Funny you mention that, I always thought they were so cool but I never had a purpose for it. Times are kinda tough right now which is why I took this job. If I already had one , that probably would've worked! Maybe I can find someone to borrow one.
You have a smartphone no? It can record video.

Reactions: mindless1

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Or a pencil and paper:

Lab X: Enter, go straight 80 yards, make a right, get on elevator, go up 3 floors, make a left, go 30 yards, make a right, go 3 miles, make another right, get on elevator, go up 50 floors, make a left, go straight, jump out window, deploy parachute, deliver tacos.

Kidding aside, there are smartphone apps that can record video and put GPS location stamps in it. That doesn't solve the issue of which floor you're on as I mentioned previously, but you can just say what floor to record that or watch which elevator button you pressed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Look on the walls for fire exit maps. If the hospital is in the U.S., I would be shocked if such maps weren't posted. You may have to photograph and piece together the maps. Also, the hospital will have a facilities management department somewhere that almost certainly has CAD maps of the hospital.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I worked a few years at our hospital and after a while you just start to know where stuff is. At first just ask other staff if you're looking for a certain room. One key is knowing the numerical structure of rooms, like how are they numbered. After a while you will know what section a room is just based on the number.

Also, beware of doors that lock behind you. I almost locked myself in the mental health ward once and I don't know if they would have let me out. :tearsofjoy:

I imagine any sort of GPS app would not work very well as civilian GPS is not really that accurate, especially not inside a building. I also wouldn't take video inside a hospital, some people may not like that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Or a pencil and paper:

Lab X: Enter, go straight 80 yards, make a right, get on elevator, go up 3 floors, make a left, go 30 yards, make a right, go 3 miles, make another right, get on elevator, go up 50 floors, make a left, go straight, jump out window, deploy parachute, deliver tacos.

Kidding aside, there are smartphone apps that can record video and put GPS location stamps in it. That doesn't solve the issue of which floor you're on as I mentioned previously, but you can just say what floor to record that or watch which elevator button you pressed.

Exactly how I'd do it. Either a paper notebook or on the smartphone.
Something like:
Urquart Hospital. 3145 Upper Lower Road, Bumfuck Egypt.
Medical Waste Lab. 3rd floor, Room 314, left out of elevator, right at the nurses' station, 3rd door on the right.
Blood and Pathology Lab, 2nd Floor, Room 225, right out of elevator, go past cafeteria, 4th door on the left.

Repeat as needed. even part time, it shouldn't take TOO long to get the hang of it.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I could give you a link to a google search for app that can track and record your movements from point A to B , but I'm betting there IS a map somewhere, or blueprints at the local goverment assessor's or planning office.

It would seem like an app would need to use GPS? Will it be able to distinguish minor altitude changes like 2nd floor versus 3rd floor? I would guess it wouldn't reliably do that in a big structure like a hospital (but I could be wrong).

If all else fails, how about getting a google aerial map, create a layer in an image editing app that you use to trace outlines of areas in the hospital on a floor by floor basis and label them?

If you mention which hospital, maybe someone can find a map?
got anything for ios?