Nature magazine - Kyoto a complete failure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's stupid to expect humans to take hard and meaningful approaches to doing what they feel will slow GW. It's not human nature. So, I just hope we're not killing ourselves, but if we are, it will happen anyway.

..oh so soon you forget. in liberal agenda it's the intent not the results that matter.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
The link is great, the OP, as always, is shallow in his interpretation of the material... reading comprehension FTW!

I was at an environmental conference in Rome last week, and we discussed precisely what Kyoto was and wasn't... it was a good first step, even though it became politicized beyond belief. Nobody denies the climate is changing, nobody denies that the sustainability of our present economic model is rapidly deteriorating, nobody denies the fact that unless we do something drastic in the next 5 to 10 years, we risk serious ecological disturbances, which will permeate our everyday lives and seriously affect our children.

I have high hopes that the Bali meeting in December will result in some constructive ideas being presented to the world.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: homercles337
Unlike the right, the left actually evaluates new information and forms a logical course of action.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

:confused: Give me ONE example of the right being scientifically logical and following that logic up with action. Just one.

You misinterpret my HAHA as a partisan comment, which it wasn't (yours was). The right is no better than the left. In regards to your charge, do you want me to find a single case of anybody who considers themselves a republican who has ever followed a scientifically logical conclusion to action? If so, one of the people who works on R&D for a weapons system that works and is currently employed in the gov, surely somewhere in there there's a republican who made something work and used the scientific method to do it :)

By the right, i mean the party line. Of course you can find some Rs using the scientific method to further an evil agenda. However, many more are scientifically illiterate. This is clear here with folks like Genx87, NonProfJohn, Shityva, HelloKitty, Pab, Vic, and their ilk that have demonstrated that they lack scientific understanding entirely.

edit: i had to add vic to my list.

There are few tactics that match the disdain I have for the "you don't understand what science is" argument employed by so many on this forum. They knowingly/unknowingly profess being ardent followers of logical positivism, criticizing questionable and unverifiable definitions all the while using the same arbitrary definitions which have no objective basis except in their own minds. Please, spare us your gold plated and divinely inspired subjective definition of 'science' which so many of you swing about like a wrecking ball to avoid debating specific factual data/results. It is very unbecoming.