nature can be cruel

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have several cedars in my backyard that are about 15 feet or so in height. A pair of cardinals made a nest in one. Today I went to barbecue my supper, when I heard this peeping noise coming from one of the trees. Then I heard another much louder chirping from above me. I looked around and saw one of the chicks on the ground at the base of the tree. It's eyes were still not open and it was obviously distressed. The mother was squawking really loud and I felt bad for the chick. The parents have a chick still in the nest.

I set up the bird bath that is in my backyard and put fresh water in it so the parents can hydrate the chick if they decide not to abandon it.

So far it seems they are caring for the fallen chick. I have seen them bring it food. The parents have also been very aggressive of other animals going close to the trees here. I watched them put the run on a robin.

I still think the chick may die, but I hope for the best.

:(

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Any way you could put on rubber gloves and get that chic back into the nest?
I don't have a ladder tall enough to do that.

:(

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
The mother may abandon the nest altogether if you try to put the chick back into it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh, sometimes the other chick pushes the smaller chick out to monopolize the food. it happens in some species. other ones have parasite birds that sneak their egg in and when it hatches it pushes the originals out.
nature is a bit f*cked up most of the time.