Natural supplements to reduce blood pressure

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I'm 32 male. My weight is in the normal range (BMI). I don't eat high sodium etc.. I had a recent physical and labwork done and all numbers came back within range (lipid test etc). However my doctor indicated my blood pressure is a little high. He measured it in the office a few times he was getting 140/70.

I bought a blood pressure monitor and was testing it at home and was getting 128/50. Seems to feel it's white coat hypertension. Anyway I tested it a few times at only once it was 136. The numbers are still not all that great. My suspicion is he will want to put me on some sort of blood pressure med. I was looking into a few natural things.

1. Lose more weight.
2. Garlic (1000mg tablets)
3. Baby Asprin

I got some Garlic (1000mg) I don't know how much to take. I was told to take 2 in the morning. The bottle says one a day??? I was reading that the allicin is what actually works in garlic and that it may exist in such small quantities...

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I use arganine and citrulline. Studies are all over place on benefits and whether or not it does anything at all. I found that after I got my diet and exercise in check, I was still in hypertension stage 2. Added arganine first for about 6 months, then found citrulline malate converts to arginine in the body, so I stacked them. My resting blood pressure is usually like 114/60 these days.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
140/70 isn't that bad. My resting blood pressure was 175/135 when I was 28.

Cayenne pepper works. I start getting headaches when my diastolic gets to about 90. I've eaten cayenne and had it go down.

You're on the right track. Eat well, exercise, drink enough water, and sleep well. I'm not a doctor, but I've been to enough of them to know that doing those four things can really make a difference.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I just tested my blood pressure. When i came down stairs and sat in my chair it was 135/70. I took it again and again and again. It eventually went to 122/63 in the 2nd reading. It was around 123 in the 3rd reading.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Red wine how often? Red wine with every meal? Kind of weird sneaking wine into work.

IIRC, a glass of red a day is good for you. One source suggests that it's good to drink with food if you're watching your weight as the stomach empties less quickly apparently, however a glass of red is something like a hundred or so calories.

Last edited:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Half of your blood pressure is from the way you eat.
The other half is based on how much exercise you get.

First half...... the food can clog up your arteries.
First half----- if you get a big gut then you also get a larger intestine because you injest so much food more than a normal person. So like me your gut will press against your major arteries and will give you high blood pressure because its pushing and pinching your blood supply.

Cholestrol in the blood is just there to supply energy to your muscles and if not used then turns to fat and starts to clog up your system.

So when you read all the tricks like I have and have high blood pressure Chaotic42 is 100% right that cayenne pepper lowers it so you can sprinkle hot dried red peppers on that pizza or other food type. I also bought the cayenne pill form and eating it naturally is a lot better. I did not notice from the 1 month supply of that cayenne any difference in my blood pressure.

Hugh Downs from the tv show 20/20 swears up and down that everyone should perform chelation to reduce plaque on their blood vessel walls. I read up on it and chelation helps in removing particles from the fat lining and perhaps the chemical makeup of the plaque but does not get rid of it 100%. Eating acidic foods removes that plaque like apples and certain apple cider vinegars.

Also fish oil also makes blood pressure drop tremendously

Do your research and talk to a doctor.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm 32 male. My weight is in the normal range (BMI). I don't eat high sodium etc.. I had a recent physical and labwork done and all numbers came back within range (lipid test etc). However my doctor indicated my blood pressure is a little high. He measured it in the office a few times he was getting 140/70.

I bought a blood pressure monitor and was testing it at home and was getting 128/50. Seems to feel it's white coat hypertension. Anyway I tested it a few times at only once it was 136. The numbers are still not all that great. My suspicion is he will want to put me on some sort of blood pressure med. I was looking into a few natural things.

1. Lose more weight.
3. Baby Asprin

I got some Garlic (1000mg) I don't know how much to take. I was told to take 2 in the morning. The bottle says one a day??? I was reading that the allicin is what actually works in garlic and that it may exist in such small quantities...

Your numbers aren't too bad.
I was pushing 130's over 90's for most of my 30's.

Nowadays I'm at 110-120 over 65-75.

I did the low salt diet, cut back on crap foods, ate bananas out the wazoo. That helped a little.
Once I started running on a regular basis I stopped having issues with blood pressure.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014

1. Lose more weight.
3. Baby Asprin

If it is an emergency of course call 911.

And while waiting the best things to lessen the damage to your heart is to take 3 pills of 325mg aspirin and the next best thing to lessen the strain on your heart is to hyperventilate.

Once you feel light headed then you can stop hyperventilating and breathe normally and you can then relax and try to to freak yourself or you will have to hyperventilate again.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
From what I read exercise truly is the best cure for high blood pressure as when you exercise your muscles produce acid which also helps in the breakdown of fats and such in your body.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Grape seed extract

A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials concluded that "grape seed extract appears to significantly lower systolic blood pressure

Also I wouldn't freak out about blood pressure. If you're eating healthy and exercising, some people just have higher blood pressure in general, and doctors are trained to watch for it, but if isn't trending upward from where you're at, you're OK.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Eat Bananas and Potatoes (potassium rich foods). Don't rely souly on those or go way out of your way...just pick them when convenient. The benefits are there, but low.

More importantly, lowering your sodium intake helps. Making sure you reduce your stress by getting plenty of sleep and managing your exercise.....a few walks spread out through the day make a big difference. Especially to break up work.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Grape seed extract

Also I wouldn't freak out about blood pressure. If you're eating healthy and exercising, some people just have higher blood pressure in general, and doctors are trained to watch for it, but if isn't trending upward from where you're at, you're OK.

This. I don't take it anymore because it dropped my BP so low it was messing me up (in conjunction with heavy exercise that lowered my BP already). I actually started eating more salt now and I'm back to normal levels.

Ask a nurse as well - if someone has low BP they will ask if the patient is taking Grape Seed Extract.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
This. I don't take it anymore because it dropped my BP so low it was messing me up (in conjunction with heavy exercise that lowered my BP already). I actually started eating more salt now and I'm back to normal levels.

Ask a nurse as well - if someone has low BP they will ask if the patient is taking Grape Seed Extract.

That's weird is there such thing as low blood pressure? Also if you can get your bp that low is this actually unhealthy??? I'm thinking with low bp your heart is working less your cardio-system is being less stressed so it should last longer right?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
That's weird is there such thing as low blood pressure? Also if you can get your bp that low is this actually unhealthy?

It can get too low and then you get dizzy, fatigued, vision problems. Also correlates with low blood sugar.

Mar 1, 2007
Forget supplements (most are a waste of money as the body can absorb nutrients more effectively when they are in their natural state (ie. in real foods which contain other nutrients)).

You are far better off eating healthily (lean meats, fish (+ oily fish) and plenty of different coloured veg, including herbs and spices with real garlic, although not necessarily all at once :) ), exercising, and drinking plenty of water throughout the day (hydrates you and allows the body to flush out toxins).

Small glass of red wine a day is supposed to be good.

Cut-out or reduce things like butter and coffee (ie. a single cup is OK). Don't drink too much alcohol and don't smoke.

As the saying goes "Everything in moderation".

Last edited:

spamsk8r

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2001
There is evidence that Hibiscus tea can reduce blood pressure as well as many prescription medicines. Easy to make, cheap, and it tastes good (it's tart so adding some stevia is always nice, or mix it with something else).

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I used to have high blood pressure. The biggest thing that dropped it was going to bed early. The way a doctor explained it was that when you stay up late & don't get enough sleep, your body has to work harder to keep you awake (or something), and it raises your blood pressure. I also lost weight & started exercising daily, which helps, but not as much as the bedtime thing.

I just hate going to bed early :(

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It can get too low and then you get dizzy, fatigued, vision problems. Also correlates with low blood sugar.

Yup. Story of my life. I wasn't diagnosed with hypoglycemia until I was in my 20's. Switched to having small meals with protein every 3 hours & all of that went away :thumbsup:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
That's weird is there such thing as low blood pressure? Also if you can get your bp that low is this actually unhealthy??? I'm thinking with low bp your heart is working less your cardio-system is being less stressed so it should last longer right?

Yeah it's a real thing. I was slightly low, but I've met people who have legit low BP and carry salt packets around with them. 1 girl I knew had trouble standing for hours at a concert or she'd pass out.